The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 22, 2000, 04:51 PM   #1
Gremlin

There are now so many different forums on this site that you have to open up a half dozen different forums just to look for interesting information.

This site was a 1000 times better when all I had to worry about was looking down a single list and seeing if there was anything interesting.

I understand separating shotguns, rifles, and handguns but at this rate, there'll soon be a separate forum for every stinking caliber of handgun.

Is it a space/server issue? I don't pay anything to belong to this forum so I was wondering if the reason for all of the separation had to do with costs?
Old November 22, 2000, 06:40 PM   #2
RWK

Gremlin,

When Son first proposed dividing “Handguns” into autoloaders and revolvers, I felt it was a mistake, since there would certainly be “gray area questions” (e. g., “Best first sidearm?” or “Best defensive handgun caliber?” and so forth) that wouldn’t easily fit into either category. However, I personally like (just one opinion) the way Rich has segregated handguns into revolvers, semiautomatics, and all handguns (for the “gray area” issues).

I hope this provides one thought concerning why a general handgun category is still required.
Old November 22, 2000, 06:56 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Gremlin - I won't go into the reasoning behind the splitting of handgun forums, it's been covered in numerous prior threads mostly in the suggestions forum (which is where this thread will be transferred after this post).

But I do want to question some of your reasoning:

"... you have to open up a half dozen different forums just to look for interesting information."
A total of two forums was added. I'm not sure how many forums you "had to open" in the past.

I don't see how adding those two forums decreased the value of this site 1000 fold. If I were you, I would look elsewhere for the interesting information you seek. Anything that is degraded by 100,000 percent is certainly not worth visiting.

"... there'll soon be a separate forum for every stinking caliber of handgun." I don't believe there is any evidence of that happening in this or the next century. I'll be right behind you towards the exit if that happens, and I'm not planning on leaving.

Neither space, server problems nor cost is an issue. The effort was taken to try to improve this site, again the reasons have been well documented and I won't go into them again.

[Moving this to the Feedback forum...]