The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 9, 2024, 02:14 AM   #26
chris in va

This whole post is moot, there's no such thing as 'home defense' at 100 yards. If someone outside your house is shooting at that distance your best bet is to get in an interior room and call 911.
Old March 9, 2024, 12:26 PM   #27
KMAX

@chris in va Then call it self-defense. Scenario is if you had to shoot at someone at a distance for whatever reason. No plans. Simply a discussion of what might be expected of a 9mm round fired from a carbine. Actual home defense situation I would try for the shotgun or the handgun, whichever was more feasible.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old March 9, 2024, 09:40 PM   #28
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
This whole post is moot, there's no such thing as 'home defense' at 100 yards. If someone outside your house is shooting at that distance your best bet is to get in an interior room and call 911.
No such thing is an awfully bold statement. 100yds is not nearly as far as you think. Getting out of sight to an interior room could be a great option. That assumes you and all your loved ones are already inside the house and are able to get to an interior room. It does not work so well if your just getting home, are doing yard work, or your kids are playing in the woods. Sometimes hiding is not an option.
Old March 9, 2024, 09:42 PM   #29
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAX View Post
@chris in va Then call it self-defense. Scenario is if you had to shoot at someone at a distance for whatever reason. No plans. Simply a discussion of what might be expected of a 9mm round fired from a carbine. Actual home defense situation I would try for the shotgun or the handgun, whichever was more feasible.
Based on the video, assuming you can hit what your aiming at, id say 440yds plus. Realistically, shooting unsupported, maybe 150 to 200yds with a red dot.
Old March 9, 2024, 10:15 PM   #30
zaitcev

Quote:
I've been considering a Henry Homesteader, but I'll take a look at the Smith & Wesson. I wasn't aware of Smith pistol carbine.
Homesteader and FPC are somewhat different in nature. FPC is most like KelTec SUB2000, while Henry is similar to Ruger PC Carbine. Smith actually offer two: the aforementioned FPC, and an AR9 style PCC called "Resolve".
Old March 10, 2024, 04:58 AM   #31
stagpanther

Quote:
No such thing is an awfully bold statement. 100yds is not nearly as far as you think. Getting out of sight to an interior room could be a great option. That assumes you and all your loved ones are already inside the house and are able to get to an interior room. It does not work so well if your just getting home, are doing yard work, or your kids are playing in the woods. Sometimes hiding is not an option.
It might not be the best option unless you're sure you're in a well-hardened space--if someone is on your property emptying magazines from a semi-auto it's just a crap shoot that nobody gets hit as they make Swiss cheese out of your house. I've seen the aftermath of these kinds of hits.
Old March 14, 2024, 11:02 PM   #32
bamaranger

"call 911"

I am not going to cower in my home for 10-15 minutes OR MORE, taking gunfire to my home, hoping that the suspect(s) do not enter my home without my awareness or a round slip through wall boards and hit me or my family. An unlikely scenario, but stuff happens.

And 10-15 minutes is a hopeful response time. Often there are only 2-3 deputies on duty at any given point, and maybe one trooper, and all may or not be 25 or more miles away on other calls, or out of contact for whatever reasosn. . Heck, I can't remember the last time a patrol vehicle drove past my home.

Others may believe that the authorities are on their way to save them in timely and effective fashion. I am not that trusting.
Old March 21, 2024, 08:53 AM   #33
bfoosh006

FWIW... The typical 9MM , when fired from a 16" carbine, will have a trajectory similar to a 22LR from a 16".

I would give most 9MM ammo about a 115yd range, and still be able to expand reliably as designed. ( IE like it does from a handgun at the muzzle )

The 9x19 can have respectable velocity increases from a 16" barrel.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/16...th-/16-712312/

Enough of an increase that the designed for a pistol velocity HP bullet might be overwelmed.

As for lethal range... well that is debatable and dependent on shot placement.
I mean getting thwacked with a 124gr FMJ at 200yds, in the head, v. in the thigh type thing.