The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 21, 2024, 09:24 PM   #1
yahamshari

WTK: Background information on three-hole HK G3/91 fixed buttstock

Hello.

I have wondered before why some HK G3 fixed buttstocks have three holes. Some say that they are early 1960s HK G3 plastic buttstocks. The three holes have the same internal diameter, which is too large to retain the forearm/trigger group pins. I heard a claim that those three-hole buttstocks date back to the early 1960s' Swedish Ak 4 rifles. They featured black color fiberglass similar to Colt's original AR-15/M16A1 buttstocks.

Q.1 What is the purpose of the third hole, is it just another retainer pin 'keeper' hole?

Q.2 I am considering getting a spare German (not Pakistani or PTR) two-hole complete fixed polymer buttstock (black) for my 1979 HK91 A-3. Do I need to consider 922(r) if one day I decide to replace at the range the collapsible stock of my pre-ban HK91 with an all-German fixed buttstock?

Q.3 If the answer to Q.2 is yes, then should I look for a fixed buttstock made of German and U.S. HK parts, which counts as one U.S. compliant part for 922(r)?

Q.4 Are all-German HK G3 fixed buttstocks (black) widely available in the U.S. or they're now scarce?

Q.5 Is is legal for me to bring a buttstock with me from Germany to the U.S. or mail it from there to the States?

This RFI is cross-listed on HKPRO, HK ProShop, Sturmgewehr, Carolina Firearms Forum, Carolina Shooters Club, and M14 Forum.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3-Hole HK91 Fixed Buttstock.jpeg (46.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg 2-Hole HK91 Fixed Buttstock.jpeg (48.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by yahamshari; February 23, 2024 at 06:55 PM.
Old February 22, 2024, 02:45 AM   #2
rmh3481

Q1: The ports on the stock are for organization not retention.
Q2: No problem changing stocks legally in the US. Stay out of holes like NY and CA.
Q3: Doesnt apply because you didnt make/build the rifle.
Q4: You would be best off keeping spares for the items that you own. I dont think Hk supports the G3 any longer.
Q5: Importing a stock should not be a problem. Ask Marie over at Arfcom, she works in Customs with firearms.
Old February 22, 2024, 10:31 AM   #3
yahamshari

Thank you rmh3481 for the information!

Update - An HK SME advised that HK "stocks" are shoulder rests - Commerce Department regulations define a rifle stock as enclosing fire control. It is not a gun part subject to ATF rules. Therefore, no ATF permit is needed. I will rely on this opinion at my own risk. Now, leaving Germany is an entirely different situation because Germany's Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA) says even a screw or nut or spring is a "gun part."
Old February 22, 2024, 10:34 AM   #4
yahamshari

Update - A fellow HK enthusiast replied:

A.1 Presumably, another "parts" hole.
A.2 The rifle is pre-1989, so 922(r) is not applicable.
- BATFE Ruling 2009-2 on “drop in” replacement parts in or on an existing, fully assembled firearm, without drilling, cutting, or machining, does not manufacture a firearm; a “replacement part,” whether factory original or otherwise (barrels, triggers, hammers, sears), has the same design, function, and substantially the same dimensions, and does not otherwise affect the manner in which a firearm expels a projectile (approved on 01-12-09).
- repair of any rifle assembled and imported prior to 11-30-1990 (922(r) not applicable.
A.3 N/A.
A.4 Available, but not scarce.
A.5 Don't risk bringing the stock from Germany. It's not worth it to go through the hassle, as there are plenty if these rifle stocks in the U.S.
Old February 27, 2024, 12:04 PM   #5
ZoieBarnett

The purpose of the third hole in some HK G3 fixed buttstocks is unclear, with theories ranging from a retaining pin or keeper to potential accessory mounting or manufacturing purposes.Replacing the collapsible stock of a pre-ban HK91 with a fixed buttstock may trigger compliance considerations under Section 922(r) of the U.S. Code, which regulates the number of foreign-made parts allowed in a firearm assembly.To ensure compliance with 922(r), acquiring a fixed buttstock made of a combination of German and U.S. HK parts may be advisable, as including a U.S.-made part in the assembly can help satisfy compliance requirements.All-German HK G3 fixed buttstocks (black) may be less widely available in the U.S. compared to other variants or aftermarket options due to import restrictions and market demand.Importing a buttstock from Germany to the U.S. or mailing it from Germany to the States may be subject to export and import regulations, and it's essential to research and comply with all relevant laws and regulations to ensure legal and compliant importation.
Old February 27, 2024, 08:01 PM   #6
Ignition Override

Even more info might be found here:

https://www.hkpro.com/
Old February 28, 2024, 12:41 AM   #7
yahamshari

Thank you ZoieBarnett for the information and Ignition Override for the suggestion.