The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 26, 2024, 01:06 PM   #26
Bob Wright

If I were to be confined to a small bore DA revolver, my vote goes to a S&WModel 586, 4" barrel.

But to me, the best revolver for under $1500 is a Ruger Super Blackhawk for hunting, or a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in .45 Colt.

Bob Wright
Old March 26, 2024, 02:27 PM   #27
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
If I were to be confined to a small bore DA revolver, my vote goes to a S&WModel 586, 4" barrel.

But to me, the best revolver for under $1500 is a Ruger Super Blackhawk for hunting, or a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in .45 Colt.

Bob Wright
I agree about the 4 5/8" Blackhawk in .45Colt. Mine is a New Model Convertible .45Colt/ACP, although my other 4 5/8" Convertible is an earlier 3-screw .357MAG/9mm (remains in original condition as 3-screw).

If given my druthers for a medium-sized .357 in DA (other than my prized Service-Six, converted to RB and tuned by MagNaPort many years ago), I'd go with either a 681 or 581, simply for the fixed sights. I carried an issued 4" 686 for several years, and the adjustable sights could be - predictably - rough on clothing. The fixed sight L-frames were pretty nice, and I still kick myself for passing up some good deals in those days.
Old March 27, 2024, 04:12 PM   #28
rodfac

"Is Kimber K6S the best revolver for under $1500?
Not in my opinion. Not even close." 44 AMP

Yep...my thoughts exactly....S&W without a lock fills that niche for me...YMMv and I forgive you, OP.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 4, 2024, 08:27 AM   #29
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
"Is Kimber K6S the best revolver for under $1500?
Not in my opinion. Not even close." 44 AMP

Yep...my thoughts exactly....S&W without a lock fills that niche for me...YMMv and I forgive you, OP.
The only thing about SW is that their revolvers of similar size can only hold 5 rounds, instead of 6 rounds.
Old April 4, 2024, 04:08 PM   #30
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
The only thing about SW is that their revolvers of similar size can only hold 5 rounds, instead of 6 rounds.
Does one extra round make one revolver superior?

Were you ever taught "Load 1, skip 1, load 4"?
Old April 5, 2024, 09:28 PM   #31
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post

Were you ever taught "Load 1, skip 1, load 4"?
Not really.

What is "Load 1, skip 1, load 4"?
Old April 6, 2024, 07:51 AM   #32
Hellcat1

Quote:
Not really.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhghlVgpKCc

Frank
Old April 6, 2024, 08:37 AM   #33
jar

Quote:
Not really.

The issue is that you're really new to firearms as we all were at one time. You're asking questions lots of new folk ask and that's fine. But you are also making judgements and proffering answers while you still really don't even have the basics or experience required. Ask away, but stop trying to give definitive answers until you gain some more knowledge and experience.
Old April 6, 2024, 05:48 PM   #34
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
The issue is that you're really new to firearms as we all were at one time. You're asking questions lots of new folk ask and that's fine. But you are also making judgements and proffering answers while you still really don't even have the basics or experience required. Ask away, but stop trying to give definitive answers until you gain some more knowledge and experience.
You asked "Were you ever taught Load 1, skip 1, load 4?". Because I haven't been taught about that yet, I humbly answered "Not really". What is wrong with that? You clearly misunderstood me but decided to go ballistic?

Frank, many thanks for sharing the Youtube link!

Last edited by liv4spd; April 6, 2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old April 6, 2024, 08:19 PM   #35
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Most people would agree that it gives an advantage. One round extra over 5 is a huge difference than one round over 13. 20 percent advantage in the six shot revolver, so yes, it does make it superior. I am sure that many of the old timers loaded six instead of load one, skip, load four when they knew that they were going to a showdown.

I do carry my five shot smith J frames but admit that I miss that extra round that my Kimber of the same size yields. The Kimber and the Smith 60 weigh pretty close to the same. Yes, the smiths are better looking in the traditional way but the Kimber looks elegant in its modern style as well.

The trigger on my Kimber K6 is Way smoother than any of my Smiths. The one round advantage of the Kimber was the whole selling point and exactly why I got one, so Yes, it did make a difference to me regardless of the higher price.

My three carry revolvers are a Smith 360 PD, a Smith 3" model 60 and an original Kimber K6.

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; April 6, 2024 at 08:34 PM.
Old April 7, 2024, 11:01 AM   #36
Ricklin

What does the procedure for loading an old single action revolver have to do with loading a modern and safe double action revolver? Why would one carry a modern revolver with one less round than it is designed for?
Old April 7, 2024, 03:07 PM   #37
jar

It has nothing to do with loading a modern swing out cylinder revolver. But it has a lot to do with the concept of superiority.

"Superiority" is subjective and individual. What one person sees as superior may well be irrelevant to someone else.

To say five rounds are superior to four rounds or six rounds is superior to five or seven is superior to six are all simply opinions.

To say five rounds are more than four rounds or six rounds is more than five or seven is more than six is fact. To say a swing out cylinder is faster to load than a single action gated design is fact.

Language and words actually make a difference.

I do not feel any less protected with one of my old SAA Clones loaded using the old 1, skip, load 4 method than with a 5 or 6 round swing out cylinder or with a 22LR than with a 45acp. Others feel differently. I do not find one superior to the other.
Old April 7, 2024, 04:17 PM   #38
JohnKSa
Staff

What does 6 rounds instead of 5 buy you?

We can look at some probabilities if we make some assumptions.

Let's assume:
1. It takes two solid hits to incapacitate an attacker.
2. Our hit rate is about what police see in their shootings--about 30%.
3. We get to use all the rounds in the gun before getting killed, or before getting injured to the point of not being able to resist further.
4. The attackers are determined--that is, they keep attacking as long as they are able vs. running as soon as they see a gun or hear a shot.

With those assumptions, what are the chances of achieving 2 hits on a single attacker with 5 rounds? About 47%. That is, about 53% of the time we would expect to fail to "stop" the attacker in the scenario we created.

What about with the same assumption but with 6 rounds? Now it's about a 58% success rate. We've gone from failing more than half the time to succeeding about 4 times out of 7 by adding one round.

If you go to assuming 2 attackers the odds are really terrible with either 5 or 6 rounds although 6 rounds does provide better than double the chance of success than 5. Not that it's anything to celebrate given that the chance of success in neutralizing 2 attackers with the assumptions above is only 7% with 6 rounds.

The moral of the story is that 5 or 6 rounds and real-world hit rates is a bad recipe for defending against one determined attacker, let alone more than one, but we can see that there is a significant benefit to having 6 vs. 5.

More on the subject:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=494257
Old April 8, 2024, 11:32 AM   #39
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
What does 6 rounds instead of 5 buy you?

We can look at some probabilities if we make some assumptions.

Let's assume:
1. It takes two solid hits to incapacitate an attacker.
2. Our hit rate is about what police see in their shootings--about 30%.
3. We get to use all the rounds in the gun before getting killed, or before getting injured to the point of not being able to resist further.
4. The attackers are determined--that is, they keep attacking as long as they are able vs. running as soon as they see a gun or hear a shot.

With those assumptions, what are the chances of achieving 2 hits on a single attacker with 5 rounds? About 47%. That is, about 53% of the time we would expect to fail to "stop" the attacker in the scenario we created.

What about with the same assumption but with 6 rounds? Now it's about a 58% success rate. We've gone from failing more than half the time to succeeding about 4 times out of 7 by adding one round.

If you go to assuming 2 attackers the odds are really terrible with either 5 or 6 rounds although 6 rounds does provide better than double the chance of success than 5. Not that it's anything to celebrate given that the chance of success in neutralizing 2 attackers with the assumptions above is only 7% with 6 rounds.

The moral of the story is that 5 or 6 rounds and real-world hit rates is a bad recipe for defending against one determined attacker, let alone more than one, but we can see that there is a significant benefit to having 6 vs. 5.

More on the subject:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=494257
Well done and kudos to your statistical knowledge.
Old April 8, 2024, 08:26 PM   #40
Hellcat1

Quote:
Well done and kudos to your statistical knowledge.
I second that!

Frank
Old April 8, 2024, 08:36 PM   #41
HighValleyRanch

In the Western Series, Hell on Wheels, the gunman teaching his friend to shoot, said, just make sure that you are the last one with a round to shoot!LOL
Old April 19, 2024, 06:49 PM   #42
TheFlash

I also purchased a Kimber K6s and never warmed to it, so sold it.
I still wanted a 6-shot cylinder and went with the new model Colt King Cobra. My aging eyes had issues with the brass/gold bead front sight on the King Cobra, so easily swapped it out for a fiber optic.
Great revolver and has the sweetest DA/SA trigger...
Old April 21, 2024, 05:03 AM   #43
Mr.RevolverGuy

4 years ago I chronographed the 2in, 3in and 4in here with fully loaded 357 Magnum. You may want to take a look at how the 2in handles with full loads.
https://youtu.be/Vnmt5-RRV7g

With 38special+p Federal carry loads it is my go to, so yeas I still have mine practice with it and carry it thought because of my large hands I put some different grips on it
https://youtu.be/QTtHIAQByjo

As you can see I have touched and drooled over the Kimber K6s for a long time so I may be biased LOL. I love it so much I asked myself is it time to sell all J-Frames back in the day. I also probably went over board with J Frame to K6s comparison lol more than any other I have seen. Here is a whole mini series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmIW...gZ-4kWX8hGdKEs
Old April 21, 2024, 02:54 PM   #44
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
You may want to take a look at how the 2in handles with full loads.
Yup, that's a handful. If I can't shoot a handgun/loading combination without having to adjust my grip after every shot, I don't consider it suitable for self-defense.