The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 11, 2000, 12:27 PM   #1
Hueco

Well, this past Sunday I had the pleasure of shooting my best-yet round of trap -- a 23. I am now ready to start getting serious about trap (even if that means racking the Mossy). What shotgun would ya'll recommend for me? I shoot singles, but would love doubles. Right now, I think I will narrow the field to autos, I've been soured on o/u (long story). The Benellis look great...and I hear good things -- opinions? Any others worth a look?

Hueco
Old April 11, 2000, 02:10 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm no trap maven, but I've seen lots of Remington 1100s out there. They seem to be mpre popular than the newer 11-87,and hold up well.
Old April 11, 2000, 03:17 PM   #3
Hueco

...the 1100's price is right, that's for sure. Thanks Dave!!

Any more suggestions?

Hueco
Old April 11, 2000, 03:19 PM   #4
Bud1

Look at the Beretta A390 trap. I have one with a ported 32" bbl and love it. A very soft shooter, and outstanding reliability.

Bud
Old April 12, 2000, 02:17 PM   #5
Hueco

Went and looked at an AL390 last night. It just didn't feel very good. I am only 5'8", but I have long arms and broad shoulders. For some reason, this makes finding a well-fitted gun hard. That Beretta felt like trying to point a hollow log. So then I asked to see a Benelli and I was handed a Montefeltro. It was better by quite a bit. The whole gun came to my shoulder not only quicker, but more smoothly and hit the right spot almost every time. After that...a Franchi AL48 was given to me. I have never felt a gun feel like that!! Every time I brough tit up it hit me right. It felt fast, but not so too fast. It was a 12 ga, but felt like a 20 in weight and pointability. Only problems I have with it are these:

1) It was equipped with a low rib, I like a high rib. Any way I could have a higher one installed?

2) Only handles 2 3/4" loads. That is fine for trap, but if I ever take her hunting I am kinda screwed.

3) Has a long-recoil action. Somethign I have never heard of or know anything about. Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of it?

But the things I like about it are:

1) Light, really pointed well and met my shoulder in the right spot (high) quickly.

2) Had a bit different balance to it than the Benelli ot Beretta. It layed in my hands instead of being supported by them (best way i can describe it....).

3) The price...$550!

4) It's imported by Benelli, and is on Benelli's (www.franchiusa.com) website. This leads me to believe that they (Franchi) are a strong firm and make goodt shotguns.

5) Smooooth bolt and action!

6) Thin forearm, didn't feel 9 feet wide, really added to the comfort, pointability, and quick-feel.

So let me know what you think of Franchis in general...and the AL48 specifically. Thanks!!

Hueco
Old April 12, 2000, 07:33 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

About 2 3/4 shells,if all the deer and geese I've taken with them were lined up, they'd reach the Bay from here. Don't turn this one down on that account.

I'm no engineer, but I think the long recoil action is the same principle the Browning A-5 is, and that one's noted for durability and ruggedness.

The only Franchi I shot, I liked,but that was a limited trial. Hope this helps...
Old April 12, 2000, 07:37 PM   #7
K80Geoff

If the gun feels right, buy it. Franchis have a good reputation as field guns. The long recoil system and light weight will mean more felt recoil. Don't worry about not having 3" chambers, it doesn't matter in trap.

I personally would prefer a Remington 1100 for Trap if I were to go to an Auto.

Geoff Ross