The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 8, 2000, 07:58 PM   #1
CVG

I have a Benelli M3 with ghost ring sights and I want to set it to use for game bird hunting. I remember reading on the net a while ago that I could purchase a barrell from Benelli for this purpose. Has anyone ever put a hunting barrel on their M3? If so how did it where did you get it, how much was it and how well did it work? Also what do I do with my ghost ring rear sight? Could I take off the reciever and remount it wh I'm using the tactical barrell? If I do this what do I use to cover the screw holes on the reciever for mounting the ghost ring sight?

Thanks,

Chris
Columbus, Ohio
Old April 9, 2000, 06:13 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You've just run into the one gun dilemma,CVG. A shotgun CAN do it all, but ONE shotgun cannot do it all WELL,without major parts swapping.The good clay gamers use varied guns for trap,skeet, and sporting clays.Even when hunting, a shotgun best for walked up ringnecks in open fields is not the best choice for woodcock coverts nor quail in brush,and dove are a different game altogether.And then there's waterfowl, turkey,etc...

This is why I've gotten a HD 870,a deer hunting 870,and a bird/clays 870.The problem came to me a decade and more ago.

IMO, your choices are:
Get a bbl,swap parts as needed. BTW, "Blind" screws will fill up those holes,and should be available at any decent gun shop.The only caveat is dependent on whether you have other HD tools the family can use while you're out, if needed.

Bite the bullet, and get another shotgun.The choices here are getting another Benelli for commonality of operation and parts, or going after something else.What else depends on your finances and wants.

BTW, even with all these 870s(Got a 20 for the kids too), if I hit the Lottery I'd be shelling out cash for a clays gun, a Parker 12 ga, and maybe a little 28 for those days in grouse/woodcock cover I'd like to have.
Old April 10, 2000, 08:29 PM   #3
hksigwalther

CVG,

There were a couple of places (I can't remember which ones) I found in Shotgun News or Gun List that advertised 26" or 28" barrels for the M3 (and for the M1) with interchangable chokes for ~$325 as I racall a few years ago. Can't find them now. For that kind of money, I figured it was just as simple to buy a low cost wingshooter and have TWO shotguns instead of one (for this case). I don't see a barrel listed for the M3 (other than the 18.5") in their pricelist (1998). A bunch of barrels for the M1 though. I did call Benelli to see if the M1 bbl would work in the M3, but the girl said no. She didn't seem to be well versed on the technicalities of the shotguns so I wasn't really confident of her assessment. What I should really do is pull apart my M1 and M3 and examine the bbls, but I'm a lazy slug. I bought a Rem1187 anyways for the wingshooting.

Oh, one other thing, those hunting bbls will have beads instead of a front blade. As high as the ghost ring blade is, I'm not sure if the rear sight has enough lowering adjustment if you switched over to a bead. I guess the best bet would be to remove the rear sight.

- Ron V.
Belpre, OH