The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 6, 2024, 10:10 AM   #1
rickyrick

Anyone Have Experience with Radical Firearms 450 Bushmaster Upper?

Hello everyone,
Inspired by the .223 debates, just kidding, I’ve got an itch for something big bore. Having tried in vain to get the planets to align so that I could acquire a 45-70 lever gun, (they sell out as soon as they become available) I started looking at AR uppers and have decided that I may like 450BM. There’s stuff out there but somewhat slim pickings.
I have found that there are some Bear Creek stuff but I want to stay away from those based on reviews and the next step up in cost is Radical Firearms.
I can only find a couple of reviews on Radical about people having to open up the gas port some to get them to run.
There is also some more expensive options but I don’t want to sink a ton of money in something that I could potentially lose interest in. Availability is also spotty.
So the options are really the two budget offerings, BCA and Radical. Third is the Stoner stuff, but people say those are on par with BCA.
The radical option seems ok, but there’s not a bunch of reviewers and not a lot of the typical fan-boy type reviewers either. So I thought I’d check here before I completely abandon the idea.
Old January 6, 2024, 01:26 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

I have a Radical FR-16 15" RPR in 223 and it is a decent budget AR for the money. No experience with a 450BM, but if their quality is the same as my rifle, then its a good choice.

My radical runs just fine with any ammo, and is reasonably well made and finished for the cost. accuracy is about on par with other more expensive rifles.
Old January 6, 2024, 05:50 PM   #3
rickyrick

Well, I went ahead and ordered the upper, and I believe they come with a magazine.
Unless it catastrophically explodes, undesired/unliked uppers are never a waste and the components are useable for other projects.

If it’s under-gassed I can open it up I guess, or make that straight pull bolt action I’ve been tempted to experiment with lol.