The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1
1stmar

Broke in a hornady auto charge tonight..

Picked up a hornady lnl auto charge from Natchez for 169.99, ordered tues and it showed up today. Loaded 30 rounds of 22-250, varget some 36.3 gr and some 34.8 gr. started with 36.3. Very few "over". I used the auto speed function and I checked every load against my rcbs 505. Every charge was with in +- .1 gr, the last 5 were dead on. By the time I dumped the charge into the pan, placed it on the beam and made the reading the next charge was waiting. Very satisfied with the speed. It says you need to let it warm up for 15 min. Basically it performed as quoted. I will admit, I was anxious to try it out, probably didn't wait the 15 min, though I did spend considerable time calibrating it. Why?? Well because it took me a bit to figure out the check weights were grams and not grains. So when I was done calibrating it, it would change back to grains automatically, I would place the check weight on it to validate, and the 10 gram weight read 154. Like I said it took me a bit to figure it out.

Bottom line I am very pleased and looking forward to charging more cases. Weighing cases and bullets is a breeze, emptying the cylinder is a snap. Good machine, want to get some more bench time but I recommend it so far.
Old September 8, 2012, 11:32 PM   #2
grubbylabs

I can't tell you how much I really really hope that is one of the things I buy with the money from my next batch of puppies.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 9, 2012, 03:08 AM   #3
1stmar

Got bored today and ran some n140 through it, checked every load against a beam scale, it's very quick IMO and accurate. Easily worth the investment.i think the Natchez sale ends in nov. It really shines when you work up loads or change powders, or charge weights. I used to use a lee perfect powder measure, which was pretty good, but was a pain adjusting or changing powders and charge weights, this is extremely simple, and much more consistent. You love it and it's only 5$ more then the smartloader isd, and 120$ cheaper the the cheapest rcbs I could find.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:32 AM   #4
PA-Joe

I think if you can get 100 free bullets from Hornady if you saved your receipt and the bar code from the box. There is a form you can downlaod on the Hornady webpage. Get Loaded 2012
Old September 9, 2012, 01:40 PM   #5
1stmar

I checked their site only saw promotional for lock n load powder measure and sonic cleaner. Maybe I will call them tomorrow. Thanks pa-joe.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:05 PM   #6
1stmar

The more I use this thing the more I love it. Changing powders, charges, dispensing, all so easy and reliable. I spend so little time charging cases it's insignificant. I keep looking for more cases to charge! No more jerking around with finicky dispensers, weighing, adjusting, weighing, adjusting....now to find something that makes case prep less tedious....