The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2000, 04:21 AM   #1
Keifer

Both Browning and Ithica make pumps that eject the shells through the bottom of the receiver. What are the mechanical difficulties with making an auto that does the same? I never thought about this before I got a leftie wife and had to worry about her smacking herself in the forehead with hot, spent cases. I prefer an auto because of DK's extreme sensitivity to recoil (preferably 20 g.)
Old April 18, 2000, 10:06 AM   #2
Jeff, CA

FWIW, this leftie has never used anything but rightie shotguns, and I've never taken an empty in the head. I don't even notice them coming out. Have your wife fire a rightie and watch for yourself. Remington does make a leftie auto, but it's the "fieldmaster" - the expensive version with the engraving.

Old April 18, 2000, 11:08 AM   #3
Hueco

I know the Benelli makes LH version of their Montefeltro -- runs about $650 though.

Hueco
Old April 18, 2000, 11:20 AM   #4
David Roberson

I agree with Jeff. I shoot a Browning A-5 and a Rem 870 from the left, and I never even notice the shells flying out, much less have any problem getting hit by one. (This is not the situation with all rifles -- some semiauto rifles do hit left-handed shooters with ejected cases.)
Old April 18, 2000, 10:51 PM   #5
Blue Jays

Good Evening All-

Current weekend clay/home defense shotgun is a Vang Comp-modified Remington 870 Police Magnum.

While I'm a rightie, I shoot long guns leftie for some strange reason. Anyway, my shotgun is a rightie and I don't even notice the spent casings being ejected.

The reason I selected a rightie is so that the firearm
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Retains a higher resale value.
<LI> Easier for rightie friends to handle.
</UL>
Hope this helps...

~ Blue Jays ~

[This message has been edited by Blue Jays (edited April 18, 2000).]