The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 14, 2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

Guns and airports

Friday I have to pick a friend up at Harrisburg International Airport in Harrisburg, PA.

This will be the first time I've set foot on an airport grounds in well over a decade.

I won't be carrying a gun, but would like to take one with me so that he and I can go shooting later that afternoon.

I should be parking in short term parking; the gun will be cased and locked and secured in the trunk of my car.

Anyone have a good grip on what the laws are these days regarding taking firearms onto airport property, specifically in Pennsylvania?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 14, 2010, 01:41 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

Sounds like a phone call would be best :

(Toll-free): (888) 2-FLY-HIA (888 235-9442)
(Local): (717) 948-3900

Or an email to the public safety officer:

Belinda Svirbely
Deputy Director, Operations, Security & Public Safety
Ext. 4619

http://www.flyhia.com/contact/directory
Old September 14, 2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yeah, I have that information. I'm hoping for some responses from some people who live in that area.

I suspect I know what the response will be if I call the public safety person -- 'YOU CAN'T BRING A GUN WITHING 100 MILES OF THE AIRPORT OR YOU'LL BE ARRESTED AND EXECUTED!"

Old September 14, 2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

I've been through Harrisburg a couple of times with guns. Checked them in with little hassle.

About carrying, don't know but flying from there was not a problem.
Old September 14, 2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Technically I won't be carrying.

I'll be transporting.

Everything I'm finding says that other than Federal law, there are no Pennsylvania specific laws.

I do have a Pennsylvania CCW permit, but I won't be actually carrying.

Old September 14, 2010, 02:16 PM   #6
zoomie

Airports are not on the off-limits list for PA. For some case law:

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...ot-enforceable

I agree - calling anyone associated with the airport will likely get them screaming at you, "You can't bring a gun around here, are you nuts?!?!"

http://paopencarry.org/pa-open-carry-off-limits

Here's the laws about vehicle carry:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...1.006.000..HTM

Quote:
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who
carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a
firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place
of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and
lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony
of the third degree.
You could open carry or keep it in your trunk locked up without a license, but since you have one, you can open carry, concealed carry, keep it in the trunk, keep it in your glovebox, keep it under your floormat... Don't think you have anything to worry about. (All Disclaimers Apply.)
Old September 14, 2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Thanks, Zoomie, that's sort of what I was thinking, but the airport issue was really throwing me for a loop.

Something new, and if it's new, it's to be feared.

Old September 14, 2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Support_and_Defend

Since the title of your thread is simply Guns and Airports - WA state law, like PA, does not prohibit carry in airports. I've open carried at SEATAC International Airport inside the passenger terminal, outside the secure area, of course, with no problems, right in front of SEATAC police.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:49 PM   #9
highvel

Just don't drop the gun accidentally, pandemonium would ensue and you would be on national TV!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old September 14, 2010, 09:08 PM   #10
TXAZ

PHX

I go through Phoenix Sky Harbor airport frequently. Last year a traveler in front of me realized he was carrying a little too late, unfortunately after setting off TSA's magnetometer. It was obviously a very big OH $#!+ moment for the guy.

The PHX police are stationed about 50 feet from the portal, and were promptly called over. I figured he was going to jail. They took the weapon and then took him over to their area for a long talk. I headed to my gate, thinking good luck buddy.

I asked one of the officers on my return about it, he had no specifics but indicated that it's a near-daily occurrence, and the attitude of the traveler has more to do with what follows. The officer said that if someone appears to be really sorry, and isn't wanted for anything, that they don't have other reasons to bring suspicion upon themselves, then they are often allowed to take the weapon back to their car / home and leave it there, or call someone to pick it up.

Would it be fair to guess that JFK, LGA, BOS and most east coast airports have a slightly different approach to such an incident?
Old September 15, 2010, 12:53 AM   #11
maestro pistolero

Not an issue to have a cased and locked firearm on airport property, except in secure (i.e. sterile) areas. If it were, one wouldn't be able to check a firearm, which we most certainly can.

Although not related specifically to airports, New York the only state in which you may not possess an otherwise lawfully owned handgun at all (not even unloaded and locked) unless you have a New York State Pistol permit, or if you are adhering strictly to the terms of the FOPA during travel directly from AND to a place you may legally possess the handgun.

Airline personal have been known to routinely notify local police if a weapon is checked in. I have witnessed this firsthand at the Syracuse airport.
Old September 27, 2010, 07:05 AM   #12
blume357

As a side note....

any way to get out of the short term parking... the last two times I picked someone up at the airport... I had them call me on my cellphone just after they landed and I just drove through the departure / pick em up lane.... now I did have to circle 5 or 6 times at one of these before the person got through the airport and out... but I still think it was better than paying for parking and looking for the person on foot.

some airports will let you park out in front for a short time... others you have to keep moving and just circle.
Old September 27, 2010, 08:26 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

Harrisburg International now has a "cell phone lot" for exactly that purpose.

I went into the terminal, though, as I wanted to go to the observation deck to watch the planes land and take off, so I hit short-term parking.

Old September 27, 2010, 10:42 AM   #14
swinokur

This site has a lot of firearms info

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf