The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 6, 2010, 04:46 AM   #76
Sgt.Fathead

Mossy

I used to be a solid Remington man. then I had a real problem with an 870 with the factory 2 round mag extension, brand new, and their customer 'service' left me high and dry. Sold ALL my 870s and my 1100 and a 700 ADL at a loss to get rid of them! I have a twelve year old 500A and a two year old 590A1 (and an even older Maverick 88 six shot beater) that have never, ever given me an ounce of trouble.

Mossberg has a customer for life.
Old October 14, 2010, 02:31 PM   #77
Spindrift

I don't get people dissin the 870. I beat mine like a rented mule, and it has never failed me. Cleans up with a wet cloth and oil. Rain snow dirt and dragged through the woods all the time. No rust.

By the way. It has an 18 inch Mossberg barrel on it.

The reason I went with Remington is they were used as trench guns by the military since forever, and every cop car I see carries them. That says something. It's so simple, even I can disassemble it and figure out where everything came from and put it back together. I'll never get rid of mine.
Old October 14, 2010, 06:42 PM   #78
dawgfvr

My Home Defense Shotty is the Mosberg 590. Love the Ghost Ring and the Safety tang is in the right location.

Old October 14, 2010, 06:57 PM   #79
Big Bill

If I were buying a Mossberg, I'd buy the 590 tactical instead of the 500.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old October 15, 2010, 11:52 AM   #80
Spindrift

Whoa dawg! That is sweet!
Old October 15, 2010, 05:50 PM   #81
KSDeputy

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870

I have shot Remington firearms all my life. I bought two Mossbergs with ghost ring sights, they were nice shotguns in every way but one. I found myself looking for the safety behind the trigger guard, it was driving me crazy, plus it could cost me my life. I sold them both. I have a Model 1100, and my Dad's Model 11. I bought a tactical 870 for a good price, new. I would recommend the Model 870 for a pump gun.
Old October 16, 2010, 07:13 AM   #82
Big Mike 1

Just purcgased a Remington 670 H D SHOTGUN. I always did like an 870. Mine is Parkerized like an "Express" model, but is stamped "Remington 870". Nothing else. Extended mag, black stock & forearm. Around $75 more than the Mossberg. Paid around $325 for it. Seems like a pretty good gun! A great companion for my new GLOCK Mod.23!!!
Old October 16, 2010, 04:26 PM   #83
cdutton

I'd say 870. I've never had an issue with my 870 express. I bought it back in February, and since then I've added a 20" Imp Cyl with deer sights, a stock sleeve shell carrier, swivel studs, and a Blackhawk shotgun sling that holds fifteen rounds. Everything but the studs can be swapped out for it to become a trap gun again. I like that.

I've had a distaste for Mossberg instilled in me since the nineties. Everything I've heard has been about them being rattly or cheap or whatever, so I can't vote that way.

This trash about being able to flip the safety on a Mossy without removing your trigger finger is ridiculous. You should never have your finger on the trigger when going through any other operation, such as clicking off the safety or loading. same goes for the slide release.

Also, about the loading ramp, I like having mine down on the 870. It's not a problem at all to load, and having it down means no dropped rounds. I also can tell by feel whether the action is open or not, because the ramp will be up if it's open.

This is just my personal preference.
Old October 16, 2010, 05:12 PM   #84
Bernie Lomax

Depends. Are you looking at the Express line of 870s or the others?

Remington's quality has slipped badly in recent years, and the "Express" line was never that great to begin with. They were originally manufactured just for Wal-Mart, because Wally World was always trying to screw Remington down on the price. They go through virtually none of the QC and fluff and buff that the other 870 models go through before leaving the factory. There are some people who've lucked out and gotten good ones, and they're very satisfied, but overall it's a real crapshoot and I wouldn't take the chance.

I just recently purchased an HD shotty, myself, and went with the Mossberg 590A1 instead of the 870 tactical express. It cost me under $500 out the door, was $10 less than the 870 Express tactical and the overall quality is much better. IMO, the M590A1 is the best tactical pump in its price range and the best value in tactical pumps today.

Mossberg has been in the business of making low-priced shotguns for it's entire existence. They know how to make low-priced shotguns that don't suck. Remington doesn't. IMHO, If you decide to get a 12 gauge pump, you'll be much better off with a Mossberg than an 870 Express.

I don't know anything about Benellis, so I can't comment on them.
Old October 17, 2010, 03:49 PM   #85
Big Mike 1

What about the Charles Daley Tactical Shotgun? Any comments???
Old October 17, 2010, 04:11 PM   #86
KnightofCydonia

Having owned both an Express and current M500. I like both. Nothing is wrong with the express, just found the finish required more care, other than that it's a great gun.

I like the Mossy cause it's light, the control layout, and it's blued. It also fits me better (slightly) and has 3 chokes which I like.

I will eventually get a 870 wingmaster used.

All in all, you have to have both because they aren't the same yet they both are fun to shoot.
Old October 31, 2010, 09:34 PM   #87
Big Mike 1

Recently tried out my new 870 Express Tactical. Ran Fiocchi (Sp?) High Brass, 2/34 0 0 Buck through it. Rapid fire,no jams! Some spread though, @ 25 yds!
Old October 31, 2010, 09:45 PM   #88
zippy13

Quote:
What about the Charles Daley Tactical Shotgun? Any comments???
Big Mike, are you aware the Charles Daley operation has ceased, again. Are you comfortable buying an orphaned gun?
Old November 1, 2010, 07:53 AM   #89
Deerhunter

My buddy just bought a brand new 870 Express Super Mag. He broke it down and cleaned it real good. Took it to the range and put 125 shells though it with no issues. This was his first shotgun and he didn't have any problems breaking it down.

I own both an 870 and a 500. They are bot older, 500 from about 1989 and the 870 from about 1998. I find the 870 a lot easier to break down and put back together. Plus the trigger group on the 500 is almost all plastic. I haven't had any issues with either as far as shooting them goes. I just prefer my 870 over the 500. Again breaking down and putting them back together the 870 is a lot easier
Old November 1, 2010, 08:27 AM   #90
Inhimwelive

If it is for home defense and you like the features on the mossberg better then I wouldn't hesitate... I have owned a 500 for 30 years. Now if I was buying it to hunt with it would be the 870.. Why? Because my 870 was as accurate with a smooth barrel as my 500 is with a rifled barrel.. But inside a home that is going to make little to no difference.
Old November 1, 2010, 02:50 PM   #91
bapfreak

I own a Remmington 870 Magnum 20 Ga Express Synthetic and I it's great. Two of my friends own Benelli Pumps and my brother in law owns a Mossberg.

All three are great guns, but to be honest I wish I would have bought the Benelli. For me it's easier to shoot and is awesome looking. Some may dislike the appearance and yes the buttstock and receiver are a once piece plastic part. The receiver is indeed plastic, but it doesn't appear to be a problem.

Two things I didn't like about the Mossberg were the takedown and the amount of force it took to pump.
Old November 1, 2010, 06:54 PM   #92
nogo

The 2 shot extension should be assembled and installed in two pieces and not one complete unit, but I don't know if this fact applies to your case. In my view extensions on shotgun mag tubes are an achilles heel.
Old November 2, 2010, 04:33 PM   #93
IMightBeWrong

I have only owned one shotgun so far. My best friend and I both bough 870 express models together. I got a home defense model, he picked up a hunting model favoring the longer barrel. We BOTH had problems. His model would have the pump get stuck every few shots and he would have to smack the stock against the ground to get the slide back. Mine had insane trouble ejecting and was supposed to hold 6+1 but had problems with the spring in the magazine and would get stuck with 5 loaded in the mag. My friend got some work done to his and then sold it. I sold mine to another friend for a huge discount so he could afford to do the work himself. I was very disappointed with remington as it is supposed to be very reliable based on its reputation. I wish I had gotten a mossberg. I have handled one and it was excellent.
Old November 2, 2010, 04:56 PM   #94
dogtown tom

Quote:
DHart: ...6) I like the availability of full length stock & pistol grip combos on the Mossbergs. While shooting with a pistol grip involves a fair bit of compromise... it does offer a form factor which is extremely appealing for certain circumstances! And if the BATF caps down on shotgun mods (they have recently reclassified a shotgun with a pistol grip as a PISTOL - no longer a shotgun)... if you bought a factory made shotgun which came with a pistol grip originally from the factory, it could be argued that you haven't materially altered the form of the shotgun if you choose to attach different pistol grips, or birds head grip options. Legal grey area here, it appears, but something worth considering anyway.
Nope.
A "pistol grip only" shotgun is considered an "Other Firearm" by ATF, not a "pistol".

On the Form 4473 the dealer will record either Handgun, Long Gun or Other Firearm. The category "Other Firearm" was added in August 2008 and also includes frames, lowers and receivers.

A PGO shotgun is classified as an "Other Firearm" because it does not fit the legal definition of "shotgun" (which is fired from the shoulder). As it is not a "long gun", purchasers of "Other Firearms" must be 21 years of age to purchase from a licensed dealer.

There is no Federal law that prohibits replacing a regular buttstock with a pistol grip.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 2, 2010, 04:58 PM   #95
musicmatty

I bought a new Rem 870 Express back in 1989 I believe?? I loaded a shot shell in the tube and then activated the pump to chamber the round and once I did this, the gun fired instantly...the concealed hammer didn't lock.

I got rid of the gun ASAP. This was very dangerous and should have never happened. I just recently bought another shotgun (used) after all these years..It's a late 80s Winchester model 120 Ranger 12guage with a smooth bore deer barel with rifle sights. This gun functions without any flaws after replacing one of the extracting clips in the reciever.

I won't trash Remington..but I won't buy another after that nightmare.
Old November 2, 2010, 05:39 PM   #96
Deerhunter

I think (and I could be wrong) that a lot of the problems people have with the 870 comes from cleaning issues. I have found as I got older that the best thing you can do is break a gun down as far as you can and clean it, then before you put it back together clean it again. After that you can take it out to fire it.

I understand that they just don't make them like the did back in the day. Funny at 35 I am saying that. Never thought I would but sure enough.
Old November 2, 2010, 09:27 PM   #97
Marred

+1 mossberg 590
Old November 2, 2010, 09:54 PM   #98
headbangerJD

easy answer

MOSSBERG
Old November 7, 2010, 08:53 AM   #99
Big Mike 1

I heard Chas. Daily did close down again. Looked like a good shotgun, and was curious. Gun Shop Jerry had a Tactical, a "REGULAR" shotgun, and a 1911 style .45 with Chas. Daily stamped on it, all going for good prices....
Old November 11, 2010, 03:08 AM   #100
MacII

Out of curiosity, if so many 870e's have problems out of the box, shouldn't Remington be flooded with warranty repairs? They have a 2 yr warranty.