The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 28, 2010, 09:44 PM   #1
MBGSXR600

Bail enforcement trainning

A friend and I have been talking about taking some classes, but i know there are a lot of BS clinics/schools offering programs and say the are going to assist with hiring.Is there anyone here thats in this biz currently or that has been that could give some advice or help.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:45 PM   #2
Wagonman

IBTL
Old March 1, 2010, 12:37 AM   #3
ranburr

Most of the ones that I have known were ex-cons. Much better to be the bondsman.
Old March 1, 2010, 04:58 AM   #4
Glenn Dee

In keeping the thread firearms related... I wonder if most bail bond's men/women go about their business armed with actual firearms. If so are they regulated in any way? As have many, I've seen those TV show's Dog the bounty hunter, and the one with the bounty hunters in Las Vegas.

I know that in DOG they are armed with a whole lot of ahhhhh... stuff. Including paint ball guns. Somehow I cant see a hardened criminal being intimidated, or impressed with a paint ball gun. There was a show about some women bounty hunters from down here in Miami. The one episode where the subject was thought to be armed with a handgun, the ladies were urgently needed somewhere else. They never showed what happened.

I know down here we had a local celibrity bounty hunter called "THE COBRA" who had ... well he had a bunch of firearms.. but has since been arrested.

Based on what I've seen personally, and on TV. Any group of TFL members would probably be better suited, and armed to do this kind of work.

My next question is this... asking members.. if you were to engaging in returning bail jumpers to the court system... How would you arm/equip yourself?
Old March 1, 2010, 05:50 PM   #5
MBGSXR600

I know you can in MO, or aleast thats the way it appers in MO State's website. You have to take a 24 hour course to be certified to become a bondsman here in MO, and that includes firearms trainning. Scary so little if you really thing about it, but thank god I have had the propprer trainning to communce with such a job.
Old March 1, 2010, 07:15 PM   #6
LastRebel70

The Dog doesn't carry a gun because he can't, he is a convicted felon. Think he went to prison for accessory to murder after the fact. He was the Sargent at Arms for a motorcycle club and someone killed someone and he helped hide the body.
Old March 1, 2010, 08:16 PM   #7
357 Python

Check with the agency that regulates private security or bail bondsmen. This agency will tell you what you need to know. In Virginia it is the Department of Criminal Justice Services. There are many schools out there all over the country but how many of them will get you a state license in your state if one is required?
Old March 1, 2010, 09:50 PM   #8
wally626

The Dog's paint balls are filled with pepper-spray, so a little more effective than just hitting someone with paintballs.
Old March 1, 2010, 11:36 PM   #9
kgpcr

Right after i got out of the Marines i was at a get together when a couple guys pulled up and came up to the house and around out back where we were grilling and having a few. One guy came up to me and wanted to see my ID. I told him to *%^&&. My GF called 911 as we did not know who these guys were. Well one of them grabbed my buddy to try and get him to show some ID. Well my buddy took the guy out and broke his jaw. Seems they were bounty hunters. We were not who they were looking for. The cops asked us if we wanted to press charges. we did not but did file a report.
Smith M&P 40
Old March 2, 2010, 01:23 AM   #10
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpcr
Well my buddy took the guy out and broke his jaw.
Good for you. I have a deep-seated dislike for rent-a-cops of all stripes. They all think they're the real cops.

If their business is legit, then they are sworn or have a Writ of Mandamus to act as an agent of the court. If they don't know what that means or if they have have seen too many movies, they get asked one time to leave.

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat salad, and I sure didn't take all of those English lit courses and grammar classes to be lied to by a guy who worked at McDonald's last week.

If the court wants me, send a real cop.
Old March 2, 2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I can't see where this is helping the OP out, or anyone else for that matter.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread