The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 2, 2010, 07:39 PM   #151
couldbeanyone

Blackfeather, my comments weren't referring to you, sorry if you took it that way. This started out as a good thread and maybe if we are through moaning and groaning about folded steels and uber sharp edges we can get back to some good information.
First off, a sharp knife in a confined space PROBABLY has better stopping power than a handgun. Unconfined I will take a handgun any day. I am not going to stand still like a rack of lamb waiting to be carved up. I practice frequently by setting up a 9" steel plate at 7 yards and shooting at it while moving backwards and sideways. Therein lies the problem. I know of very few people who have ever practiced while moving. If you have a gun and someone attacks you with a knife from within 7 yards and you just stand still and shoot you are very likely in mortal danger. I would advise you to make moving away from the threat a part of your mindset. I would also advise you to give shooting while moving a try as I assure you it is a whole new skill set.
If you can shoot while moving, chances are you are going to have your opponent, leaking from a few bullet holes before he can even get to you. I think this would make him far easier to deal with by the time my gun is empty and I transition to my knife if neccesary.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:52 PM   #152
The Tourist

Yikes, I step out for a day or two and the debate continues...

I will say this, my buddy Ben Dale over at Edge Pro is going to get a ton of orders this week. Good for him.

When this debate started, I started getting PMs looking for stones, books, methods, etc. I know from experience that just about anyone can improve his edges by just having Ben Dale get him equipment right off of the rack. I began my business by utilizing his products.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:59 PM   #153
LafeHubert

Knife brought to gun fight at Wal-Mart

JohnKSa wrote "Law abiding citizens don't decide to engage in armed encounters based on their assessment of the armament and skill of their attacker. They engage in armed encounters when they have no other option but to use deadly force to defend against a criminal attack."

Imho you are 100% correct.

Now, what is going to be a unpopular question. When the average person can go through a whole life and never have such a deadly, violent encounter, why do the folks around here seem to constantly obsess on it so?

Good Luck

"Always place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark" Lazarus Long
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Old March 2, 2010, 08:10 PM   #154
Composer_1777

First of all. You have a gun plus your feet top stop the guy with before he can slash you.

2nd. You cannot dodge a bullet, but it is pretty easy to back up and shoot at a knife wielder.

3rd Try keeping balance and stabbing someone while being hit with the force of a bullet. It isn't going to happen.

4th You can easily block a stab and protect vital arteries using a hand, or simply stoping the knife with some bone.

5th the edge of a knife doesn't matter when stabbing, as long as it has a point.

6th the gun is probably as big or bigger than the knife, so you could bash the guy or shoot him point blank.

7th when has anyone on here tried stabbing a live moving human? lol it aint gonna happen. Sorry, Knives are only good against mindless attacking animals and protecting against close aggressive physical attacks.
Old March 2, 2010, 08:34 PM   #155
AcridSaint

Quote:
First of all. You have a gun plus your feet top stop the guy with before he can slash you.

2nd. You cannot dodge a bullet, but it is pretty easy to back up and shoot at a knife wielder.

3rd Try keeping balance and stabbing someone while being hit with the force of a bullet. It isn't going to happen.

4th You can easily block a stab and protect vital arteries using a hand, or simply stoping the knife with some bone.

5th the edge of a knife doesn't matter when stabbing, as long as it has a point.

6th the gun is probably as big or bigger than the knife, so you could bash the guy or shoot him point blank.

7th when has anyone on here tried stabbing a live moving human? lol it aint gonna happen. Sorry, Knives are only good against mindless attacking animals and protecting against close aggressive physical attacks.
This is not the proper mindset if you are trying to live. I'm sorry, but you are mistaken on pretty much all of your points. There is no "knock-down" power in the bullet you're being shot with. Anyone can stab a live moving human with a knife.
Old March 2, 2010, 08:47 PM   #156
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

You guys done me proud! This thread is proof that a debate can be long and lively, and still remain civil, and I sincerely thank all of you for that.

All threads have a life span though, and this one's wound down to where we're going 'round 'n' 'round the mulberry bush. Pretty much every worthwhile thing that can be said, has been said.

So, I think it's time to put this one to bed while it still has a gold star .

Never the less, if someone has a new slant on this, by all means, start a new one.

Thanks again folks.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread