The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 23, 2009, 04:46 PM   #1
TurkeyHunter4ever

The Absolute Best Reason for CCW

I have been giving considerable thought to the question "Why do I CCW?" There are all the popular reasons - to keep from being mugged; to save damsels in distress; to be a "hero"; obviously, personal defense; etc. However, the absolute best reason, in my mind, is....

The chance of encountering an intruder when I arrive at the old homestead. The danger no longer exists only late at night. Burglary and home invasions are now happening anytime during the daylight hours as well. So... what do you do when you enter your home and are met by a bad guy?

One thought is, "I have guns hidden all through the house!" Great! But...what if...the BG stands between you and your "hidden" guns? Or...what if...the BG has already pocketed your firearms?

If you come home with your CCW on your person, you are definitely ready for any possible deadly encounter. A big plus, also, is if you are alert to your surroundings...no matter where you are. Noticing even the smallest item out of place on your doorstep; a curtain slightly out of place; or, obviously, a door ajar. (Humorous thought - when is a door not a door? When it's...ajar!)

Or, perhaps your "radar" just kicks in and you feel that something ain't right. You are now mentally prepared. And, with your sidearm where it should be - on your side - you are physically prepared for even the slightest possibility of danger in your home.
The purpose of fighting is to Win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more Important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The Final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. (Author unknown)
Old September 23, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with your reasoning in a general sense, except that I'd have to say that you're still one step ahead of the most basic reason..... not that the unexpected could happen at your home but that the unexpected could happen WHENEVER and WHEREVER. Coming home to an intruder is one example of a whenever/wherever but the foundation is "You never know."

You could come home to an intruder..... you could walk around a corner to an aggressor... you could be buying a coffee and the server's ex starts shooting up the bistro.... you never know.

So, you're right. You carry because you might...
Old September 23, 2009, 05:02 PM   #3
KLRANGL

Quote:
Well best is sort of subjective isn't it? There are many good reasons to carry, including what you mentioned in the OP, but every individual being different, they might have different ideas of what the best reason is. For example, I don't beleive your OP is the best reason to CCW, but that is just me.
The best universal "best reason" you are going to get might be a societally perceived best, but thats it...
Old September 23, 2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Deaf Smith

Best reason?

Cause a gun and a smile will get you more than just a smile. You see, the word "NO" means so much more when you have a gun in your hand than when you don't have it.
Old September 23, 2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

The best reason is.....

that CCW gives you an option other than being a victim.

NRA Life Member
Old September 23, 2009, 05:42 PM   #6
GLK

For me the reason is very simple, some people are sheep some people are sheep dogs and sadly some people are wolves. I am a sheep dog.
Old September 23, 2009, 05:46 PM   #7
kayakersteve

Well, since you asked.....

Let's talk Guns! - Why I carry a gun

I am often asked why I choose to carry or own guns, specifically handguns. My response always varies, but a common theme is present. I have shot long guns or hunted since I was old enough to. Most of my influence to enter this sport came from friends I have made along the way. My father was a career Army Officer, but was not really into guns. He let me and my brother each buy a Crossman pump BB gun as adolescents and would often take us out shooting on the range in Oklahoma at Fort Sill where we were stationed. I guess this is where my first real gun exposure began. I became quite a good shot and was known for being able to hit most targets I chose to aim at. I don’t recall any formal training at this point.

I was given my first shotgun by my now deceased Uncle Bill - It was a Winchester single-shot, break-action 12 gauge. It is now well worn and looks like a well used gun that has been passed down through the years should. Soon after receiving it, I took the mandated Hunter Safety Course at the Westfield Fish & Game Club and began hunting. It was a great tool to introduce me to heavier shooting and to bird, rabbit and squirrel hunting. I still own this shotgun and keep thinking I will restore it to its original beauty someday. After this exposure, I was given a Sears & Roebuck 12 gauge pump shotgun for Christmas by my Mom and Dad. I was now able to hunt big game, and have been addicted to deer hunting ever since.

A short time after this, I wanted to experience rifle accuracy and purchased a Weatherby 22-250. I added a Leupold 4-12x scope which opened up shooting to a whole new aspect – long range. I began shooting woodchucks and other varmits for grape farmers. They even offered to pay me for this service. At one point, I was even given a permit by the D.E.C to shoot beavers from a pond they were creating that was also flooding a grape vineyard.

As I grew older (at the ripe age of 21), I realized that I was eligible to apply for a concealed carry permit for handguns, so I did so in 1986. In NYS, this is a very detailed procedure. First, you have to take a handgun safety course and demonstrate you ability to safely handle and shoot a handgun. Then, a long application has to be filled out, notarized and submitted along with a set of fingerprints and a passport photo. In 3-6 months, if you are lucky, you will be notified of the Sheriff’s decision on your permit. Often people are interviewed at this stage to help assess their character. Once my permit arrived, I purchased a Ruger Blackhawk .357 and the fever for handguns began. At first I used handguns as another way to hunt game and varmits. I had to use better stalking abilities to get closer to the game, or I would not be able to make the shot.

During this time, I had graduated from Fredonia State with Bachelors in Biology and began my first real job as a pharmaceutical rep. This job entailed traveling large distances and staying overnight in various cuties. It was somewhere during these years that I began to appreciate the added security that having a handgun brought me. I took several courses on self defense and combat shooting and read several books about this subject. I began my official concealed carry (CCW) of handguns in these years based on a belief that being prepared would make my journey through life less risky. I owned a Walther PPK in .380 at this point and basically carried everywhere I could legally in an Alessi Holster that was always concealed.

After around 7 ½ years in the pharmaceutical field, I wanted a change. I bounced around several transitional jobs before making the decision to pursue a career in law enforcement. I entered the Mercy Hurst Police Academy and graduated with honors. I worked immediately out of the academy for an armored car service in Erie, PA before landing a job in corrections. I began working at the Chautauqua County Jail and got my formal introduction into society’s darkest members. I met people that just did not give a care about other people. They felt that snuffing someone’s life in the commission of a crime was, at times, a needed part of their jobs. I became very enlightened into this profile of people and came to realize that these people lived amongst me in Chautauqua County. They are not all from the bigger metropolitan areas where everyone else accepts that crimes are ‘normal’. This period of my life is where I met the perpetrators of crimes.

After 5 years of full time service in the corrections field, I made a wise decision for myself to get out of it and entered Daemon College in Amherst NY to pursue a degree as a Physician Assistant (PA). I have now practiced as a full time PA primarily in the emergency medicine field since graduating in 1998. This switch has allowed me to get to know both the criminals and the victims of their crimes. I have seen people that were mugged, beaten, raped, shot, and yes, even murdered. This period of my life is where I have gotten to meet the victims.

So what have I learned? Well, we all know that bad things happen to bad people in bad places. But, I also know that bad things happen to good people in good places. When I was caring for the victims in the ER’s, I heard a common theme: “I was minding my own business”. “I was just doing my job”. “I didn’t deserve this”. “I wish I had fought back or had a weapon”. And many, many more.

This, in summation, has cemented my belief to utilize my right to carry a concealed handgun for the protection of myself or of a loved one if need be. I feel I have the mental capacity to use a weapon, if needed, to defend my life. I have carried a concealed gun for the better part of 22 years now and have never had the need to draw it from the holster in my own defense. I have been in a few situations, however, where its presence in my holster was very comforting. I have since gotten my non-resident handgun permits in Pennsylvania, Florida, Maine and Connecticut. I am not trying to persuade anyone to make a choice to carry; this is a personal decision that one must make on their own. I consider it an insurance policy on my life. While it offers no guarantees, it is the right choice for me!

Thanks for reading,
SteveB
Old September 23, 2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Sixer

The OP makes a good point... but it's hard to say that any reason is the BEST reason. This scenario is a good reason to have a gun, regardless of whether you open carry, concealed carry, or keep a gun in your vehicle. Of course some would argue that coming home to an ajar front door would warrant a call to the police and fleeing to "safety".

For me the best reason to CCW is because I can

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old September 23, 2009, 06:04 PM   #9
SundownRider

I would think that the best reason to CCW is so you never are in a place where you wish you had.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old September 23, 2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Nnobby45

Quote:
One thought is, "I have guns hidden all through the house!" Great! But...what if...the BG stands between you and your "hidden" guns? Or...what if...the BG has already pocketed your firearms?
Guns all over the house seems a little haphazard, doesn't it? The purpose of stashed guns is that they are strategically placed so someone wont't get between you and a weapon. Takes some planning and fore thought.

As mentioned, INSIDE your home isn't the only place you can be attacked. A recent Quip by Farnum correctly points out that driveways and parking lots are among the most dangerous of environments. Not just your VCR and stereo, anymore. They want your bank card and pin number these days, and might be waitin' to surprise you in your driveway or garage.

Of course door crashing, posing as LE, or other ruses when they ring the door bell are favorite methods, also.

Last edited by Nnobby45; September 23, 2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old September 23, 2009, 06:42 PM   #11
45Gunner

The reason I CCW is because I can. Thank you 2nd Amendment right. To become a victim makes no sense.

And if the 2nd Amendment right were to go away....need I quote the words of the late Charleston Heston?
NRA Life Member
Old September 23, 2009, 07:14 PM   #12
orionengnr

Quote:
Burglary and home invasions are now happening anytime during the daylight hours as well. So... what do you do when you enter your home and are met by a bad guy?
Better yet, what do you do when you are relaxed, watching TV, and the door comes crashing down? I only walk in the door once per day (okay, maybe two or three times on weekends), and that takes about ten seconds. I am at home perhaps 15 hours a day, so the likelihood of that scenario is far greater.

As another member once said:
Carry 24/7 or guess right.
Old September 23, 2009, 07:27 PM   #13
comn-cents

Because i can.
Old September 23, 2009, 07:27 PM   #14
kiov

CCW also puts one at risk. Lawsuits, mistakes, temper or drinking issues with some. Be sure you have a good reason to carry, because you could be putting yourself at considerable risk by having your sidearm handy. Case in point, the guy in Az. who shot the crazy hiker w/ dogs and then got many years in prison. If he was not armed, he'd be free, and would not be broke.

I still carry when i feel the need, and have a weapon in the car. Even so, let's not forget there are risks to carrying as well as not carrying....so thinking about "why carry" is a very good question.
Old September 23, 2009, 10:54 PM   #15
dabigguns357

I have the perfect reason for me to have and c/c

It's better to have a gun on your hip than one to your head.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:00 PM   #16
scorpion_tyr

Quote:
Because having it and not needing it is a whole lot better than not having it and needing it.

Being in a situation where you really wish you had a gun on you, but you don't, is probably the least amount of fun I've ever had.
Old September 24, 2009, 12:13 AM   #17
Nnobby45

Quote:
CCW also puts one at risk. Lawsuits, mistakes, temper or drinking issues with some. Be sure you have a good reason to carry, because you could be putting yourself at considerable risk by having your sidearm handy.
You sound like a County Sheriff in a May Issue state who would require "special circumstances" before he'd issue a permit.

We already have good reasons to carry in the environment we live in.

Yes, there are risks that we should be aware of.
Old September 24, 2009, 01:36 AM   #18
Lost Sheep

Thanks for the thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakersteve
Well, since you asked.....
Let's talk Guns! - Why I carry a gun

I am often asked why I choose to carry or own guns....
(edited for brevity)
...this is a personal decision that one must make on their own. I consider it an insurance policy on my life. While it offers no guarantees, it is the right choice for me!

Thanks for reading,
SteveB

Thanks for taking the time to write such a well constructed, well-reasoned essay. I spotted it earlier and skipped it because I was still making dinner, but I came back to it afterwards and am glad I did.

Kudos to you.

Lost Sheep.
Old September 24, 2009, 04:36 AM   #19
Jkinkade

I carry for defensive purposes only,,,,,,I hope I never have to to draw the gun!! However when it comes to defending myself or family it will be instinctive if needed. I highly recomend anyone carrying practice,,,,practice and more practice with the gun they carry.

I shoot a lof of IDPA matches with guns that I don't carry,,,,,which helps with the instinctive part,,,but spend some time monthly using my carry gun on the range using the same drills. There is a big difference between a STI 2011 and a Kahr P9.
Old September 24, 2009, 06:59 AM   #20
P97

I carry for the same reason I have Insurance and Storm Shelter. It is something I hope I never have to use, but if I need it, then I have it.
Old September 24, 2009, 09:06 AM   #21
Skans

With regard to the original post, you do not need a CCW for the purpose of addressing what to do if you arrive at your home to find out that someone has broken in, and may still be inside. At least in Florida you don't.

All you need to do is keep a firearm, seperated from a loaded magazine, in you locked glove compartment. Turn off the ignition, unlock the glove box, insert magazine and go check out your house. No CCW necessary - you are permitted to transport a firearm in this manner without a CCW.
Old September 24, 2009, 10:04 AM   #22
Mello2u

I carry to enable me to keep my options open; as I say in my signature line.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old September 24, 2009, 10:07 AM   #23
pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiov
Case in point, the guy in Az. who shot the crazy hiker w/ dogs and then got many years in prison. If he was not armed, he'd be free, and would not be broke.
Actually, if the man had not been armed, he'd be dead (or crippled for life) rather than simply broke. That's why he's free today.

pax
Old September 24, 2009, 10:15 AM   #24
kiov

I wonder what he would say if you asked him if he'd rather he'd not been armed that day. He may disagree with you. Maybe not, but its not crystal clear.

My take is that if you are a responsible person, train and take precautions, then carrying is a sensible option, specially if you live in a dangerous area.

I'm an NRA life member and support citizens right to bear arms.
Old September 24, 2009, 11:03 AM   #25
TailGator

Thank you, Pax.

My impetus to start regular concealed carry was an event similar to the OP's scenario. I arrived at my office to find that it had been burglarized, and the "what if's" that followed included the thought that I could have been called to my office for an emergency and been unexpectedly in a bad situation. Because of this, my wife has been extremely supportive of CCW . Unfortunately, she feels that owning one handgun at a time is sufficient.