The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 14, 2022, 09:26 PM   #1
Skwib

It's time for an EDC holster

Trends are such that it's time to add a new element to my day - EDC. Likely to be using a gen 5 glock 19. Looking for that elusive unicorn of comfort and concealment. Genetics blessed my brothers with the height. I got the brains and the good looks to go along with a short torso and short legs. My initial thoughts tilted towards a AWB cross-draw. Seems like it would be the easiest to get used to as a daily accessory. What say ye?
Old August 16, 2022, 02:23 PM   #2
Polinese

I carry at the 4 o clock and have always found that (for me) to be the most comfortable and concealable. I also prefer hybrid style holsters for comfort. If you're not running a light there's quite a few options. If you are going to run a light I recommend white hat holsters (actually I recommend them with or without a light on your gun).

If you go with white hat I recommend the horse hide over cow hide.

If you want all kydex I would suggest DME holsters or JM custom kydex. Both have multiple holster styles with or without a weapon light.
Old August 16, 2022, 03:05 PM   #3
unclenunzie

I second JM custom for kydex, I like the IWB #3 for my G19. For leather Milt Sparks makes fantastic holsters, but you're gonna wait 6 months.

But the truth is holsters are very personal, as is the position chosen. Apart from this the belt is just as important. Buy a dedicated gun belt, they are made by many good makers up and down the price levels.
Old August 16, 2022, 04:24 PM   #4
std7mag

Asking what holster is akin to asking what color kilt should i get...
You have to try them.
Just like the rest of us.

I like Urban Carry Leather Lock.
I have both IWB & OWB holsters for Walther PPS, Walther PPQ & H&K VP9.
Desantis Yanque slide holster for my 1911.

One friend really likes Kydex minimalist holsters. I tried one, hated it!
Neighbor has Alien Gear. He loves it. I didn't care for it either.

Bottom line.
If you have friends/relatives that carry, try one of their holsters. Carry it for a few hours, not just slip it on and take it off. You'll never know that way!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 17, 2022, 10:20 AM   #5
Big Wes

https://store.teamglock.com/accessor...t-holster.html

$14.00
Works well with Glocks and very inexpensive

Last edited by Big Wes; August 17, 2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old August 17, 2022, 01:16 PM   #6
Blue Duck

You might want to look at "We the People Holsters" if you want the most modern carry system, but it's not the only choice by far. They also have good belts for carry. I do like Kydex on thicker guns like Glocks.

However, I can strongly recommend Milt Sparks holsters. I own several and have used them for many years, with the Colt Lightweight Commander.

I suggest you find a good IWB holster, and also a good OWB holster. Maybe more then One style if each. Unfortunately, unless you get lucky or are easily satisfied, you will probably end up with a box of holsters, before you really find what you like.

I personally, don't like the pelvic location, but many do. At any rate, you need options, because sometimes you need to really be careful not to get made, and other times, depending on lifestyle and where you are going, you don't have to worry about if someone spots your gun on you.
Old August 17, 2022, 01:17 PM   #7
Nathan

Short and thin or short and thick?

AIWB seems like it can work for many/most, but look through Philster’s site on their many carry tips and videos.

All that said, small and light guns carry easier than big/heavy guns.

A 13 oz scandium snubby will carry 38 Special +P real easy compared to a Glock 19 with all bells & whistles.

IMO, OWB belt holster can be nice at 3-4 o’clock. Bigger guns carry better on the shoulder for me.
Old August 17, 2022, 07:06 PM   #8
Polinese

Apparently White Hat holsters is closing its doors... So forget that suggestion.
Old August 24, 2022, 11:42 PM   #9
Skwib

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old August 30, 2022, 01:00 AM   #10
Limnophile

AIWB carry is fine as long as you ignore cardinal gun safety rules. But, you only put yourself at risk for a Darwin Award, so go for it.

The most comfortable mode of carry is OWB.
Old September 1, 2022, 06:55 PM   #11
Kevin Rohrer

Nothing wrong w/ IWB, as long as you have a handgun that safely supports it, which any Glockenspiel-type handgun does NOT.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old September 4, 2022, 06:28 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

What are you trying to say, Kevin? That you shouldn't carry IWB without a thumb safety on your gun?