The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 28, 2015, 07:35 PM   #26
Saltydog235

It was a 7mm Rem Mag and broadside. The bullet failed, came apart, broke, separated, went to crap. However you want to put it. You don't have a scapula with bullet frags in it like that on a glancing blow.

The TTSX put a nice hole in its neck though.
Old January 28, 2015, 07:53 PM   #27
bamaranger

why?

Why is it that the ballistic tip (specifically the Nosler Ballistic Tip) is so quickly slammed? I 've got a pal who has a .270 and worked with him to get a 130BT/.270 load together that will drive nails, and breaks 3000 fps at the muzzle. He's lost several deer, and continually slams the bullet. Invariably, we learn his zero is off, or he's shooting farther than he realizes, or took a shot at a bad angle, moving deer, etc, etc,

I think a major part of the OP's issue is "very heavily brush" area. Been there, haven't we? How did I miss/cripple that one? Well, you likely hit something you did not see and the bullet ended up where you did not intend. Lost a dandy 6pt this year, at 35 yds max, in the brush. It looked clear.......broke leg, no deer. I almost had to have hit something. But it was not my rifle or loads fault. I took a shot under difficult conditions (brush) that I should have passed. "Grunts" comments about clearing lanes is apt, if that is a viable option on an established stand. Not everybody hunts that way of course, but that will solve the "brush" problem to an extent. I'd like to see all the brush I've cleared cutting shooting lanes for bow hunting piled in one place....it'd be a heck of a bonfire!!!!!

"Panfisher" makes a good comment. Once somebody is down on a load/combo, the combo will rarely instill any confidence, and the malcontent will go searching for a new solution.

REgards the .270/130 BT. Accurate combo in any rifle I've tried it. But I do not think I could drive it fast enough from a 22" bbl to get the "hammer of Thor" effect that 603 country describes. Yielded dead deer, but not particularly dramatic or dynamic, just dead deer 10-50 yds away ususally.

About normal.
Old January 28, 2015, 10:36 PM   #28
Saltydog235

Only had one issue with a BT and it was a fluke. The bullet I'm talking about was a Corloct from a 7mm RM our club president shoots.

I love the Nosler BT, especially the 150grn loading so shoot in my 7mm08. They're nasty.
Old January 29, 2015, 06:09 AM   #29
Picher

I agree with folks about shooting through brush. There's no cartridge made that will reliably hit a deer's vitals through brush hit more than, say, 3 yards from the deer. If it does hit, it may be tumbling and not expand.

If you're moving through brush and jump a deer, it's unlikely that you'll get a good shot angle and wound a deer in the rear end or paunch it. Either will result in a slow death and poor tracking.

Remington Core-Locts and other factory rounds will reliably kill deer, provided you do your job and put the bullet in the lungs...period. If you can't stop yourself from taking low-probability shots, don't hunt brush areas!