The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old January 28, 2009, 01:10 PM   #26
taylorce1

Quote:
Is it not hypocritical to say that someone is "stirring the pot" when you used the words "stupid", "ignorance" and "dumbest" in the SAME POST?

You are "stirring the pot", maybe more than anyone else in this entire thread.
Yes! I was “stirring the pot”, and I even admitted it. I've read some of bcarver’s other posts and know he can handle recoil more than a .243 Win delivers. However there was a lot of truth in my post. Especially when people start ignoring things like shot placement and proper bullet construction with any caliber rifle. Deer are a whole lot different than elk which can range from 500 up to 800 lbs pretty easily, and once you start getting over a 250 lb average for big game I find the .223 a very poor choice.

I wasn't calling bcarver “dumb”, “stupid”, or “ignorant”. I figured he was posting what has been said time and time again about using the .223 Rem for deer and other large game. I was just giving the standard arguments right back at him. Besides it was more fun than my standard response every time this question comes up which is “If it is legal then go ahead and use it”.

Like I said I'd probably use the .223 at least once if it was legal where I hunt. If I happen to travel to a place to hunt where the .223 is legal to hunt with I'm going to bring a better cartridge, to do the job unless it is a pig or varmint hunt.
Old January 28, 2009, 01:14 PM   #27
Eskimo

Well, I agree that for moose or elk 223 is not enough.. but there's no need to be rude.

My grandpa did kill a full-grown moose with a .22 short, though. He was just trying to get the moose out of his yard : )
Old January 28, 2009, 01:19 PM   #28
sc928porsche

In a fenced in compound at about 25 yards.
Old January 28, 2009, 01:29 PM   #29
taylorce1

I really wasn't being rude, I was just having some fun. Like I said there was a lot of honesty in my post. When you choose a small bore firearm or any for that matter to hunt big game with you really need to take in to account several factors.

Anatomy of the animal you are hunting.
Know your cartrige limitations. Is it really the best one for the job?
Bullet placment. Shoot at where you want your bullet to exit not enter.
Bullet construction. Make sure you have the best bullet for the job at hand.
Know your firearm.
Know your limitations as well. Range and accuracy as well as your patitence factor.
Most of all use a little common sense when you hunt!

This goes for everyone reading this post not just the OP.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:36 PM   #30
sureshots

A Suggestion

Those words should have never been used. Please do not hurl personal insults as an answer to someones posts. Disagree but don't insult. No harm intended its just A suggestion.
Old January 28, 2009, 05:50 PM   #31
45Marlin carbine

dependent on what shot presents.
anything but a quartering-away shot at over 50 yards the .223 would do the job.
if it presented I'd take a neck/head juncture shot.
Old January 28, 2009, 06:43 PM   #32
ZeroJunk

I'll throw my usual in. Have no idea why you would want to shoot a deer with a .223 unless you are hungry and that's all you have.

I suspect if a deer was mean as hell and would chase you down and chew your head off if things went bad you would choose something else.

Last edited by ZeroJunk; January 28, 2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelin
Old January 28, 2009, 08:42 PM   #33
sureshots

zero junk

You know I have never thought of it that way. That definitely is something to think about. Maybe if that were the case I would upgrade to at least A 30-06 cal. I'll have to give you one ,you made A great point.
Old January 29, 2009, 11:03 AM   #34
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Look: Within a shooter's skill limit, and stipulating a proper bullet and proper shot placement, any of the high-speed .22s will kill a deer. That's been demonstrated over and over. Head, neck, 90-degree cross-body shot. Don't take an angling shot where deep penetration is needed to reach the heart/lungs--IOW, there are limitations.

Enuf. Give it a rest for a month or six.
Closed Thread