The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 18, 2015, 07:45 AM   #1
Double Naught Spy

Purse Snatcher Shooter INDICTED

In the previous thread, http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569553 , the would be heroine was shown to have acted in a poor manner regardling her handling of a pistol around other Good Sams and a purse snatching suspect, and then shooting at the suspect when he broke free. Now she has been indicted for the shooting.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_...3df953fbc.html

It does not appear that she has a concealed handgun license (so maybe has never had any instruction about salient laws relevant to the type of incident in which she was involved). Specifics of the charge are currently sealed...

Quote:
Deadly conduct can be a Class A misdemeanor or a third-degree felony, depending on how it is alleged. That was unclear Wednesday, because the indictment remains sealed.
Old December 18, 2015, 10:39 AM   #2
rickyrick

Does seem to be deadly conduct to me.

Perhaps she was ignorant of the law, but I have the suspicion that she was more wanting to be the hero at a time when one really wasn't needed. She has fulfilled the stereotype that many of us work to overcome
Old December 18, 2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Kosh75287

Yah, kinda saw THAT one coming... Nobody's ends were advanced by her actions, it seems. Now, the anti-CCW flakes have a casus belli, deep in the heart of Texas.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old December 18, 2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Maybe, maybe not. As she was NOT a CCW person, the argument is without merit specifically because she would not have have the mandatory legal familiarizaiton with the law and testing of a Texas CHL holder.
Old December 18, 2015, 11:42 AM   #5
kilimanjaro

Probably won't happen, but a jury could look at this, say 'No one was harmed', and return a Not Guilty verdict in short order for anything except unlicensed carry. Stranger things have happened.
Old December 18, 2015, 05:10 PM   #6
jmhyer

I doubt this will go to trial. A decent attorney will likely bargain for a guilty plea on a misdemeanor. Hopefully, she gets to retain her gun owning rights and will see the benefits of training and education.
Old December 21, 2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Clock

There is something I find a little troubling about the video. Due to the article I "know" that the kid was a purse snatcher. Just viewing the video, the kid could be anything, including a victim. He could be an innocent African American Bible student being beaten up by some racist
White guys. My point is that just by looking at the video, it's not clear with 100% certainty that the kid is the bad guy,
It looks to me like she was being irresponsible.
My guess is that unless she has some local political friends, she's going to be fighting an uphill battle. I'd be surprised if she comes out of this being able to own or even handle a gun.
Old December 21, 2015, 04:16 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Clock, I bet you are troubled a lot, huh? Nobody suggested that the video included the original illegal act of purse snatching, so no reason to be troubled by the fact that part of the incident is not shown in the video.
Old December 21, 2015, 05:01 PM   #9
Clock

"Clock, I bet you are troubled a lot, huh? Nobody suggested that the video included the original illegal act of purse snatching, so no reason to be troubled by the fact that part of the incident is not shown in the video. "

In both threads regarding this incident the term purse snatcher is used. This colors the way we view the event. Based just on the video, I would have some doubt about what was going on. I'll stand on my statement that the shooting seemed irresponsible.
Old December 21, 2015, 05:36 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

Fortunately, there are witnesses, including a victim, to the crime, so judgment based on the presence or absence of a partial video record is not a valid response.
Old December 21, 2015, 06:27 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
In both threads regarding this incident the term purse snatcher is used. This colors the way we view the event. Based just on the video, I would have some doubt about what was going on.
Clock, the information was provided by the cops as to the disposition of the purse snatcher. If you have a problem with the justification, take it up with the cops to the media. Again, nobody is claiming the video shows everything that happened BEFORE the apparent illegal discharge of the gun in a non-lethal situation.
Old December 22, 2015, 05:39 PM   #12
Clock

In the end my observation is unimportant. Her outcome will be decided by a judge and jury.
Old December 22, 2015, 05:41 PM   #13
rpseraph

If the alleged purse snatcher gave the lady cause to fear for her life... which included him running away... then she might be justified... but I don't see that happening. She got scared, she made a decision and it was the wrong decision. I am not saying that I won't someday have to make a judgement call... but I certainly hope that I am more level-headed!

This lady gave a face to "trigger-happy-gun-toting-untrained-nutjobs" and its very sad.

If my life is threatened, I am going to try to de-escalate, I am going to try to run away, I am going to verbally warn the person threaten me, I am going brandish, and if I feel my life or an "innocent life" near me is going to end... THEN and ONLY THEN would I fire my weapon. This can all happen in fractions of seconds, and we aren't always going think clearly. Training. Practice.

Get a nerf gun and some buddies, run through scenarios and verbally warn each other. Some gun stores have really cool simulators that go through some possible scenarios, forcing you to make split second decisions.

I am a boy scout, being prepared is kind of my thing
Old December 22, 2015, 07:32 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

Assumption the facts area as reported, but given that assumption:
This woman should lose her right to carry a firearm. She should lose her right to OWN a firearm. She has clearly demonstrated she is not responsible enough to handle a firearm. The state should also consider taking her drivers license if she has one.
Anyone who thinks it is acceptable to discharge a firearm at someone who is clearly fleeing without possession of any stolen property should not be carrying a firearm. Anyone who thinks shooting over a persons head, in an commercial building that almost certainly has a roof supported by steel girders, should not be carrying. Where did that bullet end up?
Old December 22, 2015, 09:25 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Well jw, I don't think they are going to change the laws of the state or country to suit this case. She may keep her ability to own firearms if she is prosecuted or pleads to a misdemeanor. They are not going to summarily take away her DL for a non-DL-related incident.
Old December 22, 2015, 10:43 PM   #16
Clock

"Assumption the facts area as reported, but given that assumption:
This woman should lose her right to carry a firearm. She should lose her right to OWN a firearm. She has clearly demonstrated she is not responsible enough to handle a firearm. The state should also consider taking her drivers license if she has one.
Anyone who thinks it is acceptable to discharge a firearm at someone who is clearly fleeing without possession of any stolen property should not be carrying a firearm. Anyone who thinks shooting over a persons head, in an commercial building that almost certainly has a roof supported by steel girders, should not be carrying. Where did that bullet end up? "

John,
I couldn't agree more. What I find especially galling is that Texas is a "Shall Issue" state when it comes to concealed carry permits and the bar is pretty low, compared to states like Ca, NY or Illinois. If she had bothered to get her permit she would have least heard that such behavior was irresponsible & usually illegal.
I also think that such behavior reflects badly on responsible firearms owners. It will be up to the Judge, but I have no sympathy for her.
Old December 23, 2015, 12:33 AM   #17
rickyrick

It is not an easy process to get a CHL in Texas. Cost me tons of money and lost time.
Now that I have gone through the process in other states, Texas was the most difficult.
Doesn't matter what the media says about Texas, the state has not been a gun loving place, and CHL in widespread use is a fairly recent advancement.

Not too many years ago you could get into serious hot water.

But her behavior was unacceptable, and illegal.
Old December 25, 2015, 02:19 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

I know it won't summarily be removed, but if all those assumptions are correct the legal system should remove those rights when all is said and done.
Old December 25, 2015, 03:13 PM   #19
Double Naught Spy

If she is not convicted of breaking a law that would result in the loss of rights, then why should they be removed?

And specifically, what justification would you have for suggesting they should take away her DL, LOL.
Old December 25, 2015, 06:13 PM   #20
Clock

Using a vehicle to flee a crime or to evade the police can result in the suspension of ones DL in many areas. If discharging a gun in a crowded area, when no ones life is in being threatened is decided to be a criminal act, then, using a vehicle to flee, may also be considered a crime. This would hang on whatever the local statutes are and how the judge/DA views it.
Old December 27, 2015, 03:21 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

Ok, Ok, they shouldn't take her DL. Losing those privileges for a short spell while sitting in jail will suffice. I wouldn't want her behind the wheel of a car in my vicinity though.
If convicted of a third degree felony, she will lose her firearms rights.
Old December 27, 2015, 04:02 PM   #22
Double Naught Spy

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_...fd41d52ac.html

Well, they have gone with the 3rd degree felony charge, so she may lose her gun rights.

Sorry Clock, there is no related vehicular flight charges involved here. Generally speaking, unless the crime was vehicle-related, I don't know of people losing their DLs in general in Texas.
Old December 27, 2015, 06:46 PM   #23
Clock

I don't have any vested interest in her losing her DL. Upon Googling the subject it seemed a possibility at least in some areas.
The penalty for a 3rd degree felony in Texas is 2 to 10 years and a fine of up to $10,000. It looks like she might have plenty of time to read laws regarding safe and responsible handling of firearms.
Old December 27, 2015, 06:56 PM   #24
101combatvet

It looks like she shot in the air as a warning shot. The little coward falls to the ground to duck. Pretty messed up.
Old December 27, 2015, 09:20 PM   #25
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I don't have any vested interest in her losing her DL. Upon Googling the subject it seemed a possibility at least in some areas.
Okay, but this event didn't happen in some areas. It happened in Texas. The only law that applies here is Texas law.