The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2021, 05:03 PM   #1
HistoryJunky

My love/hate relationship with Glock

Over the years I have owned probably 5 or 6 different Glock pistols, all of which I no longer own.

I like the utility of the Glock pistol but I do not shoot them well and I hate the way the grip feels.

I am getting the itch again to buy another G26, but the grip continues to be something that discourages me.

I know there are companies out there that make aftermarket frames.

I am left handed so I would be looking for a Gen4 or Gen5 compatible model, and so far I haven't been able to find any for the G26.

Am I missing something or do they just not exist?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 16, 2021, 05:13 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

I have had a glock issued as a duty weapon for over 13 years. I have found them to be equally accurate to most other semi auto handguns I have gotten to shoot. I don't love or hate the grip. It feel... normal, or comfortable, but I expect that is just because I have carried and trained with one for so long.
Old April 16, 2021, 05:17 PM   #3
Alan0354

You already had 5 or 6 that you don't like, why keep going back for more? What different outcome are you hoping for? Why don't you move onto other brands like S&W, Sig or others? Plenty of them around.

I have a 26, the grip is not exactly that comfortable like 19. I have small hands and still it's really short. But I can live with it.

I don't know why people keep complaining about the angle of Glock. I looked at the angle, do you know most of the revolvers have steep angle like Glock rather than 1911A1 etc. People been using revolvers for how many years and still going strong. If I were to complain, it would be the 1911 and my S&W 659.

Last edited by Alan0354; April 16, 2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old April 16, 2021, 06:12 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky View Post
Over the years I have owned probably 5 or 6 different Glock pistols, all of which I no longer own.

I like the utility of the Glock pistol but I do not shoot them well and I hate the way the grip feels.

I am getting the itch again to buy another G26, but the grip continues to be something that discourages me.

I am left handed so I would be looking for a Gen4 or Gen5 compatible model, and so far I haven't been able to find any for the G26.
Mmmm, OK. Why not the 43X? Same ten round capacity, quite different grip.

(Every time I think I might want a G26/G27, and I handle it, I realize the grip is just too short for my hands.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 16, 2021, 07:59 PM   #5
Siggy-06

Have you handled a Gen 4 next to a Gen 5, along with the replaceable back-straps? I recently bought a gen 5 34 because I liked the lack of finger grooves, not that the gen 4 bothered me much.
Old April 16, 2021, 07:59 PM   #6
jr24

Why not get something else? M&P, CZ P-10s, VP9sk?

Lots of good options just as good as Glock out there, no reason to try to jam a square peg in a round hole these days.

I'm a Glock fan myself, especially the Gen 5s, but there are so many nice options out there.
Old April 16, 2021, 08:03 PM   #7
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
You already had 5 or 6 that you don't like, why keep going back for more? What different outcome are you hoping for? Why don't you move onto other brands like S&W, Sig or others? Plenty of them around.

I have a 26, the grip is not exactly that comfortable like 19. I have small hands and still it's really short. But I can live with it.

I don't know why people keep complaining about the angle of Glock. I looked at the angle, do you know most of the revolvers have steep angle like Glock rather than 1911A1 etc. People been using revolvers for how many years and still going strong. If I were to complain, it would be the 1911 and my S&W 659.
Yeah, it's not the angle, it's the palm swell on the bottom of the grip that forces the hand into a slightly different orientation.

"natural pointing" and all that nonsense in the complaints can be mitigated by practice and repetition. Now, they do have a chunky blocky grip that can be problematic to small hands, and there's not much to be done there.
Old April 16, 2021, 08:40 PM   #8
jackstrawIII

Seems like you've already given Glock a fair shake... why not try one of the other (many) good options out there?

M&P, Walther, H&K, etc?
Old April 16, 2021, 08:53 PM   #9
TunnelRat

A lot of firearms on the market. No shame in trying something else.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 16, 2021, 09:29 PM   #10
Forte S+W

Have you ever considered getting a Glock derivative with a different grip angle?

There have been no shortage of guns based on the Glock design but with modified grip angles from the Smith & Wesson Sigma Series to Mossberg's MC1.

I myself actually own and have carried a SW40VE, which is a derivative of the G23, but with a grip angle derived from the 1911.
Old April 16, 2021, 10:03 PM   #11
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
Yeah, it's not the angle, it's the palm swell on the bottom of the grip that forces the hand into a slightly different orientation.

"natural pointing" and all that nonsense in the complaints can be mitigated by practice and repetition. Now, they do have a chunky blocky grip that can be problematic to small hands, and there's not much to be done there.
Also, take a split second to aim instead of bang bang bang by the feel of "natural hand position". I don't have as many guns as a lot of people here, but I have enough, "feel" has never been a problem for me, I choose by quality, reliability, size and weight, I just get use to the gun I chose.

Glock 26 is my first gun I bought in 30 years, when I quit that time, Glock just became very famous, I missed out that time on all the polymers. So I bought the 26 first and will keep it regardless of what. But I would be open to look at other brands now. Particular Sig 2022 is very attractive in .40.

To me, all high capacity 9mm have chunky grips, there's no way out of this one. At least Glock 26 has 10 rounds in small package, whether my pinky has a place to rest is the LAST of my concern!!! I admit I don't particularly care for how the Glock 26 feels, but if I were to do it over again, I have no doubt I would buy the 26 again because of all the other virtues, period.
Old April 17, 2021, 08:14 AM   #12
JDBerg

I have Grip Force Adapters on my Gen3 17 and 19. And I have the large beaver tail back straps on my Gen4 21 and my 19X. I believe these accessories improve the pointability of these guns to a a target.
Old April 17, 2021, 08:56 AM   #13
HistoryJunky

Sorry for not responding right away. I'll try to get everyone here without rambling too much.

Lee, I have mixed feelings about the G43X. I have held one. It is more narrow and agreeable to my small hands. It still feels like a Glock though.

The draw to the 26 is that it has a very small gun holding 10 rounds, and if need be it can take its bigger brothers mags.

I have not got to try a Gen5 model yet. The 26 I owned before was a Gen4. I didn't think the grip size was reduced any noticeable amount.

I think to say that all double stack guns have the same thickness of grips as Glocks is not true. I believe a lot of people with normal to larger size hands do not notice as much.

I own 3 double stack 9mms and all of them have a smaller grip in just about every dimension. H&K P30, CZ P07, and CZ-85B.

You may be wondering why I don't just buy a subcompact p30.

It is something I have considered, because the P30 pistol that fits me best.

I really like that Glock has a huge aftermarket and I would be lying if I said that wasn't a motivator too.

Old April 17, 2021, 09:04 AM   #14
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
Have you ever considered getting a Glock derivative with a different grip angle?

There have been no shortage of guns based on the Glock design but with modified grip angles from the Smith & Wesson Sigma Series to Mossberg's MC1.

I myself actually own and have carried a SW40VE, which is a derivative of the G23, but with a grip angle derived from the 1911.

I have. My first carry gun was a Smith and Wesson M&P .40.

I actually liked the gun quite a bit, but I didn't have a lot of experience shooting handguns at the time.

I checked out the newer 2.0 model of the M&P fairly recently and it seemed like quite an upgrade.

Unfortunately the gun store i was at wouldn't swap the backstraps for me so I could see how it really would feel with the small backstrap.

I don't know if they make a 2.0 model of their 10 round M&P compact, but that would be something I'd be willing to give a shot

I also like the CZ P10c, but it is a bit big for this comparison and I already have the P07.

The P10s(subcompact) is a 12 round gun and a good bit larger than a G26.

Old April 17, 2021, 09:14 AM   #15
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky View Post

Am I missing something or do they just not exist?

Why would you punish yourself like that? I carried a Glock in combat, but I will probably never own one. I can't explain what I don't like about them; I guess I'm not a big fan of plastic firearms.
Old April 17, 2021, 09:48 AM   #16
gbclarkson

Glocks are consistent. If you don't like the first six, you likely will be dissatisfied with the 7th.

Try a Walther.
Old April 17, 2021, 10:13 AM   #17
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbclarkson View Post
Glocks are consistent. If you don't like the first six, you likely will be dissatisfied with the 7th.

Try a Walther.
^THIS^
Old April 17, 2021, 11:26 AM   #18
Nick_C_S

Quote:
If you don't like the first six, you likely will be dissatisfied with the 7th.
'fraid so.

I'm not a fan of Glocks either; but I do own two. I own them not because they're Glocks; but because they're 10mm's. They were the only 10mm's available in California (I think Springfield offers a Ca compliant 10mm in a 1911 format. IMO, 1911's need to be 45 ACP.)

I have Glocks 20sf and 29sf. I too have small hands. I too do not like the feel of the grip(s). But I shoot them just fine (in terms of accuracy). The 29 can flip a bit hard and I sometimes have to re-position my grip after discharge (I have the pinky finger extension thingies on the mags). They are both a hand full. I'm getting older. Arthritis is setting in. I don't shoot them much. But they're nice to have.

They're good guns. Easy to operate, break down, clean, etc. That said, I have no desire to own another.
Old April 17, 2021, 01:23 PM   #19
Slotback

Put a CZ in your hand. See how that feels. That might be the answer for your striker fired pistol needs.
Old April 17, 2021, 01:32 PM   #20
Alan0354

If small size like 26 is what you are looking for, look at the gen 5 27, it's NOT THE SAME as the gen 3, it's a .40, but the slide is 1.08" width instead of the usual 9mm modified to .40. 26, 19 etal are 1" width, this must be beefier designed for .40.

I ruled out any Glock gen 3( that's the only gen I can get in Kalif) .40 as they are rimmed out version of the 9mm. Everything is thinner inside. Look at the weight of gen 5 27, it's heavier than 26. with the same dimensions, there got to be thicker barrel, slide etc.
Old April 17, 2021, 02:07 PM   #21
tlm225

I carried glocks as issued sidearms for 23 years (17/22/23) but the grip was never a good fit for me. Then along came the Glock 48. AT LAST, the glock I had been looking for! I'll gladly take the lower capacity (not withstanding the Shield magazines) in exchange for a gun that is a proper fit for my below average sized hands.
Old April 18, 2021, 10:08 AM   #22
dakota.potts

I did not care for Glock ergonomics one bit until I tried a Gen 5. That actually became my EDC for some time. In my opinion the Gen 5 fixes so many little things to previous versions that it really changed my experience. You might give one a try if you can find one locally.

Not that there aren't many other great brands as others mentioned. But it seems you want to try to like Glock, and I'd guess that a Gen 5 is your best bet at that
Old April 18, 2021, 11:05 AM   #23
Forte S+W

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky
I have. My first carry gun was a Smith and Wesson M&P .40.

I actually liked the gun quite a bit, but I didn't have a lot of experience shooting handguns at the time.

I checked out the newer 2.0 model of the M&P fairly recently and it seemed like quite an upgrade.

Unfortunately the gun store i was at wouldn't swap the backstraps for me so I could see how it really would feel with the small backstrap.

I don't know if they make a 2.0 model of their 10 round M&P compact, but that would be something I'd be willing to give a shot
The M&P Series is actually a hybrid design based on the Sigma (Glock) and SW99 (a licensed variant of the Walther P99) than just the Glock like the Sigma is, so it's actually a more sophisticated design. The S&W SD Series is the Gen 4 Sigma.

Smith & Wesson did make a Mark 2.0 variant of the M&P40c under the name M&P40 Subcompact 2.0, but unfortunately it didn't sell very well and has since been discontinued. They still make it in 9mm though, although it may end up discontinued soon as well since the Shield PLUS holds the same amount of rounds and is a thinner gun.
Oddly enough, S&W seems to still have the 1.0 M&P40c in production, or at least it's still listed as such on their website.

Personally, I ended up just getting an M&P40 Shield, only a few rounds less than the M&P40c / Subcompact, but substantially lighter, thinner, and easier to carry. Granted, the Compact/Subcompact M&Ps take full-size magazines whereas the Shield cannot, but if you're living in a state which limits magazine capacity to 10 rounds anyway, then it really makes no difference.
Old April 18, 2021, 09:15 PM   #24
imp

You might also look into the other frame options, the Polymer 80, Strike Industries, Shadow Systems, Zev, etc.

I always had issues with slide bite with OEM glocks, but other frames have slightly different geometries as well as improved textures and ergonomic touches.
Old April 18, 2021, 10:19 PM   #25
Sarge

I don't like Glocks but here I am with another old beater G22.