The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Trapperbk

Help with 30-06 load...

I am fairly new to reloading and I am trying to work a load for my 30-06 Howa. I started with 49 grains of IMR 4064 behind a 150 grain Hornady interlock bullet. Accuracy was excellent, and no problems. When I stepped up to 50 grains behind the same bullet this is what I found. Two shots cut each other, and one hit 3 inches low. I shot another 3 shot group and the same thing happened. The data sheet I have from Hodgdon shows 51 grains as a max load. Do I move on to 50.5, or 51 grains, or go back down. Seems strange that two shots touch each other, and a thirs strays. Any help is appreciated.
Old July 29, 2010, 02:04 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

Is your barrel floated??
Old July 29, 2010, 02:04 PM   #3
rwilson452

Quote:
I am fairly new to reloading and I am trying to work a load for my 30-06 Howa. I started with 49 grains of IMR 4064 behind a 150 grain Hornady interlock bullet. Accuracy was excellent, and no problems. When I stepped up to 50 grains behind the same bullet this is what I found. Two shots cut each other, and one hit 3 inches low. I shot another 3 shot group and the same thing happened. The data sheet I have from Hodgdon shows 51 grains as a max load. Do I move on to 50.5, or 51 grains, or go back down. Seems strange that two shots touch each other, and a thirs strays. Any help is appreciated.
Trapperbk is online now Report Post
I would try 48.5 gr. and 49.5 gr. first.
Old July 29, 2010, 02:05 PM   #4
jimbob86

Powder measurement exact/consistent? seating depth? Crimp?
Old July 29, 2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Trapperbk

Barrel is floated. Seating depth is the same, and usind rcbs dies. No crimping except from seating die.
Old July 29, 2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If you want to find the most accurate load, do this.
Old July 29, 2010, 02:20 PM   #7
sserdlihc

Quote:
First off, if you are happy with the accuracy of 49 grains of IMR4064, then stay with it. When I start working up a load, I only increase by a half a grain. Just me though.
Old July 29, 2010, 02:52 PM   #8
Trapperbk

Thanks for the help guys...
Old July 29, 2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Follow Peezakilla's link. Newberry's method is the best systematic approach to finding sweet spot loads. If there is an issue with the rifle it will show up firing his round robin. He uses .3 grain steps, not because .5 is dangerous at that charge weight, but because it is big enough to jump over a sweet spot in some instances.

It is, from experience, more likely to be the scope or its mounts than a gun problem if the fliers have consistent jump location, but you need ten shots or so in your group to tell. If you get two distinct groups there is a hard mechanical position shift. It can be caused by heat in some instances, but still most likely in the sights. But if the 4th shot and others keeps going lower then there is a heating problem and something is making contact when it gets warm that was not doing so before. Check the float clearance of the hot barrel with a dollar bill to be sure.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 29, 2010, 03:26 PM   #10
sserdlihc

Quote:
He uses .3 grain steps, not because .5 is dangerous at that charge weight, but because it is big enough to jump over a sweet spot in some instances.
Interesting, May fiddle with that in the future. Good to know!
Old July 29, 2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Sport45

Quote:
I started with 49 grains of IMR 4064 behind a 150 grain Hornady interlock bullet. Accuracy was excellent, and no problems.
Sounds like you're there. Why mess with success?
Old July 29, 2010, 10:06 PM   #12
mrawesome22

Quote:
No crimping except from seating die.
Where else would you get a crimp from? Unless you have a dedicated crimp die.
I am confused. Do you crimp or not?

I have also found great variations in 30-06Springfield brass to the point of some of it is useless. Mainly Federal brass.
Old July 29, 2010, 11:53 PM   #13
stormy

Just a thought....

Is your action bedded? I've seen similar problems from rifles that were not bedded, especially if the stock is of the cheap, flimsy, plastic, injection molede type.
Old July 30, 2010, 08:30 PM   #14
James R. Burke

Just myself I like the IMR-4035 with a 165. Before you hit the panic button try some seven shot groups, a let that barrel cool down between shots.
Old July 30, 2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

Hmm. That's a new one on me. Why 7, in particular? Trying to get past minimum meaningful SD estimation on radial position?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 31, 2010, 02:19 PM   #16
wncchester

"Seems strange that two shots touch each other, and a thirs strays. Any help is appreciated. "

Not so strange for a light barreled hunting rifle; you are getting the barrel too hot. Keep your load as it is, it's clearly excellant. Let the barrel cool down a good bit between rounds, especially before the third shot, and all should be well.