The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
DougNew

Glock 19 or CZ-P01 for Carry?

I'm a beginner considering these two for my first CCW. They feel good in my hand, I shoot well with them (well, I've shot only the CZ-75, but I expect the P01 to be similar), and they have a .22 conversion kit, which is a good match for me. But I have two remaining questions:

- Are the Glock 19 and the CZ-P01 too large for concealed carry?
I'm looking for the larger end of CCW, probably IWB, but no so large that I suffer.

- Any significant differences to consider?

The CZ-P01/PCR wins on fit: it feels great in my hand, and the trigger reach suits my long finger. The Glock isn't bad in my hand, but not great either. Advantage there, CZ, no question.

But the Glock 19 wins on trigger pull, at least for now. The same trigger pull each time is easier on a beginner like me, compared to the flinching I do on the first heavy, DA pull of the CZ. Could I learn to handle the DA/SA well on the CZ? Probably, but for now, advantage in this area to Glock.

What do you say, O wise heads of TFL?
Old December 8, 2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Iam2taz

I have a Walther P99AS. I Love it for a 9mm. However, I am upgrading to a 1911 .45 soon.
That said, between the two you picked, for all around dependability, etc. Go with the Glock. I am not a Glock fan, but I am less of a CZ fan. (No reason really.) You should buy the one you are the most comfortable with that feels the best to you.
As for concealability... MANY guys of small stature carry a full size 1911. A double stacked 9mm or .40 can come c7000k,j40lose to equaling the weight. The handle is what is difficult to hide.
Practice and help from a great instructor can make all of the difference.
Old December 8, 2010, 10:11 PM   #3
bigghoss

it's hard to go wrong with a glock and the 19 is a great CC piece if you dress for it. you will probably have to adjust your daily wardrobe to hide a gun like that.

the glock has great aftermarket support so parts and holsters are easier to get. you can even get an airsoft replica for those days when you can't get to the range. and the lack of a manual external safety is a plus in my book, especially if you have to draw the thing in self defense. right now I CC a glock 17 but the butt prints a bit so I'd like to get a 19 so it's easier to hide. also a glock 19 can use mags from a 17 which hold 2 more rounds and the 26 can use mags from either gun making it an ideal backup to either or an alternate for hot weather. the fact that they have 3 sizes that all work exactly the same is something I really like. I keep my g17 mags in the holder and I can grab whichever gun feels appropriate that day and it's exactly like the others. all the controls are in the same place and I don't have to think about what's different about that one from the gun a carried yesterday.
Old December 8, 2010, 10:33 PM   #4
jmr40

Glock
Old December 8, 2010, 10:42 PM   #5
vladan

Both are great CCW, just one suggestion - for Glock make sure you have good holster that covers the trigger.
Old December 8, 2010, 10:48 PM   #6
bigghoss

Quote:
for Glock make sure you have good holster that covers the trigger.
that goes for any gun
Old December 8, 2010, 10:55 PM   #7
Hog Red

like the versatility of the Glock. Get a subcompact and you can use 10, 12, 15, 17 or even 33 round mags if your really feeling gangsta.
Old December 8, 2010, 10:56 PM   #8
vladan

Quote:
that goes for any gun
True, but double for glock. Especially those with 3.5LB triggers
Old December 8, 2010, 11:03 PM   #9
bigghoss

Quote:
Especially those with 3.5LB triggers
that's only on the competition models or if someone has reduced the trigger pull themselves. a stock 19 should be about 5 or 5.5 pounds and is no more likely to go off than anything else if handled properly.
Old December 8, 2010, 11:03 PM   #10
redstategunnut

Glock 19

The Glock is significantly lighter. The weight of a carry gun is, in my opinion, far too often overlooked by people new to carrying a weapon every day. The CZ is almost two pounds unloaded, the Glock is 21 ounces empty. Doesn't sound like much until you multiply that by ten hours.

Glock parts and magazines are plentiful and cheap. Glock maintenance is easy and you can just about take the equivalent of a Glock armorer's course on YouTube.

Holsters are far more readily available. Trust me, you'll buy a number before you find the one(s) you like. Go check Kaluban Cloak, Raven Concealment, Crossbreed, and other holster makers for options on the CZ. I'm not saying you can't get a holster for the CZ, just that anyone who makes holsters makes one for the G19.

Your G19 holsters will most often serve other Glocks, which you will buy. Again, trust me.

I'm not knocking the CZ. I'm simply saying for your first carry gun, get the Glock 19.
Old December 8, 2010, 11:09 PM   #11
FoxtrotRomeo

Glock

But if the choice was on any type of pistol, I'd pack a 1911 (And do carry one IRL).

Quote:
Holsters are far more readily available. Trust me, you'll buy a number before you find the one(s) you like. Go check Kaluban Cloak, Raven Concealment, Crossbreed, and other holster makers for options on the CZ.
Tagua holsters are pretty nice. Inexpensive and made of leather too. I like leather holsters.

Quote:
I'm not saying you can't get a holster for the CZ, just that anyone who makes holsters makes one for the G19.
Everyone just about it makes one for a Glock. It's like finding parts for a 1911, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Your G19 holsters will most often serve other Glocks, which you will buy. Again, trust me.
I have a Glock holster and a Glock mag pouch and they hold my XD-40 and XD-40 mag quite well. That's how close an XD is to a Glock and how useful Glock holsters and mag pouches are.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]

Last edited by FoxtrotRomeo; December 8, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old December 8, 2010, 11:15 PM   #12
steelhdgreg

Well, I will go against the grain. My daily carry is a P-01 and I find easy to carry, is 100% reliable, pretty light weight and very accurate. I prefer a hammer pistol and quite frankly never cared for the Glock. I was never a good shot with it. Ergonomics on the P-01 are great. I have dry fired it to death and the trigger has got a lot better since new. Just my opinion .02
Old December 8, 2010, 11:52 PM   #13
FreakGasolineFight

The Glock is soulless piece of plastic. The CZ is a real gun. This really shouldn't even be a question.

Also, the CZ has a decocker, infinitely better than the no-safety Glock.

The two guns are only comparable in terms of bare-bones functionality, in which they both are equally good. The CZ wins in everything else.
Old December 9, 2010, 12:32 AM   #14
redstategunnut

Follow the four rules of gun safety, either the Glock or the CZ will be fine. You prefer a flipper on your hammer gun, fine with me. I don't need a flipper on my striker fired weapon, one less thing to break or foul me up when I don't have the luxury of time. Please don't tell me to train more, that's just about impossible.

We are talking about inanimate objects, none of them have a soul, not even the sacred cow, the 1911. Yeah, I said it, on the interwebs even.

We are dealing with a prospective rookie gun owner here. I think he needs facts, not talking points and ideology. Here's a fact: he can pick either and make a good choice.

That is all. Carry on.
Old December 9, 2010, 01:12 AM   #15
MisterWhite

+1 for the G19.

I use it for my summer carry and sometimes in the winter if my wardrobe makes the G21 too difficult to keep hidden. I have not handled the CZ, so I can't speak for or against it.

Glocks have great aftermarket support, they're relatively light for something that's gonna ride on your belt all day, you get magazine interchangeability, and as reliable as just about anything else.

The only thing you have to get used to is the grip angle. Its different than most other pistols, but if you train with it then its not an issue.
Old December 9, 2010, 01:39 AM   #16
Luis Leon

G19 is a good pick. It was my first center fire handgun. Then I trade for a CZ P01 and never looked back. There was nothing wrong with the G19 I just could not shoot it well. Which I now attribute to me being a new shooter. I love my full size CZ75b and have carried both the P01 and CZ75b. I have the kadet kit and feel that they are good values in pistols. I have shot the CZs extensively. That said I now carry a Kahr CW9. For carry I have gravitate to lighter and thinner. I still like my full size guns for guns games and range days. Good luck with your choice.

best regards,

Luis Leon
Old December 9, 2010, 01:40 AM   #17
FoxtrotRomeo

Quote:
no-safety Glock
*cough* safety on the trigger *cough*

Quote:
none of them have a soul, not even the sacred cow, the 1911. Yeah, I said it, on the interwebs even.
Say it if you want but 1911s make my world in my head a happy place. lol

Quote:
The only thing you have to get used to is the grip angle. Its different than most other pistols, but if you train with it then its not an issue.
I got used to it when I borrowed a guy's G17 at the range. Just went and did my thing. It's not so natural to hold it at that angle and I know it may sound odd what I'm about to say but it feels natural when you shoot it instead of just hold it. After I emptied the mag and more or less shot the center out of the target, the odd feeling of the grip angle returned.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old December 9, 2010, 01:43 AM   #18
MisterWhite

Quote:
I got used to it when I borrowed a guy's G17 at the range. Just went and did my thing. It's not so natural to hold it at that angle and I know it may sound odd what I'm about to say but it feels natural when you shoot it instead of just hold it. After I emptied the mag and more or less shot the center out of the target, the odd feeling of the grip angle returned.
That's probably a very accurate way of putting it.
Old December 9, 2010, 01:48 AM   #19
pichon

I own and recommend the P-01. I like it very much. I also have no problem carrying it for 14 hours, even in my cheap holster.

That said, I have shot the 19 and it is a good, functioning, affordable option and it has many users and fans who swear by it.

Quote:
We are talking about inanimate objects, none of them have a soul
Cars don't have a soul either, but driving a 2010 Honda Civic just doesn't give me the same feeling as driving a 1965 Shelby Cobra or a (insert favorite sports car here). Now I am not saying the CZ is a Shelby Cobra, but at the risk of sounding like a hippie, I will say this; I had an art teacher in college that told me that he chooses to have art in his home that affects him on a personal level. He wants to surround himself with things that make him feel something. He doesn't surround himself with things that are "just there to take up space".

ASSUMING YOU CAN SHOOT BOTH EQUALLY WELL, you should do the same. Pick the one that speaks to you.

I own a couple of polymer XD's but when I strap them on, they don't make me feel the same way as my CZ, therefore I prefer my CZ.

That's all I have to say about that

Quote:
I don't need a flipper on my striker fired weapon, one less thing to break or foul me up when I don't have the luxury of time.
I have heard this line of thinking A LOT, from guns to cars to everything else. The fact remains that nobody makes a car without power steering anymore, and the amount of failures which occur from either the hammer or striker are inconsequential. I would be surprised if someone could produce a case where a person needed to defend them self and they had a failure of that type. FTE happens in both systems, and it seems that the spring loaded pin in a striker would foul up just as easily as the pin on a hammer system.

Either way, parts don't concern me in this day and age as much as they would have in the past. MOST guns go bang, quite reliably, when you pull the trigger, and if you do your part to properly maintain your stuff (which you should do anyway).

Last edited by pichon; December 9, 2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old December 9, 2010, 03:21 AM   #20
KenpoTex

Go with the Glock. It's not too large for carry, in fact, I'd say it's about perfect. It handles and shoots like a full-size, but is still small enough to conceal easily. I have no problem, even in the shorts and t-shirt days of the summer.

Matt K.
Old December 9, 2010, 04:17 AM   #21
Amin Parker

I have a Glock 19 that repeatedly malfunctions when i shoot from the weapon retention position.

I do the same with my cz 75 compact with no issues at all. No malfunctions and i can shoot any ammo through it.

The cz is a better performing pistol imho and you will never regret buying one.
Old December 9, 2010, 06:08 AM   #22
testuser

How do you intend to carry your pistol?

It's going to determine a lot on how you dress and what you're build is. I can't conceal any of these pistols except in the winter months when I'm wearing a large coat. I've tried carrying a pistol this size during the summer months and it doesn't work for me.

As far as Glock vs. DA/SA, that's a tough one. Again, the choice might be determined by how the gun is carried. Sometimes, I like to bring a pistol in my glove compartment, under the seat, or in the center console of my vehicle. (Glove compartment or console is nice, because they lock.)

Those places are not always conducive to holster carry in my opinion. In those cases, I like having a DA/SA because of the heavy trigger pull. Glove boxes and center consoles are much tighter than a drawer at home, so I'm always concerned that in a panic I might pull the trigger. In that scenario weight is a non-issue. If it's a car gun, then I'd rather have the extra weight to keep recoil down.
Old December 9, 2010, 08:06 AM   #23
redstategunnut

Quote:
I would be surprised if someone could produce a case where a person needed to defend them self and they had a failure of that type.
I don't know how often safeties break in a self-defense situation, but I snapped one off of one of my 1911s putting it back together the other day. Stupid ambi safety abomination. I always hated it anyway, so it's gone and I replaced it with a simple safety as God and JMB himself hath decreed.

I can say that in force-on-force training it is not at all uncommon for shooters under stress to draw a gun with a safety lever and, despite being accomplished and experienced shooters, find that they are pressing a trigger that won't go bang because they neglected the safety.

I'm a caveman. I want one switch, and only one switch, to make the thing go bang. This is after a full evolution from Glock-->1911-->Glock as my EDC.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:56 AM   #24
Amin Parker

Forgetting to put off the safety is the result of bad or no training. Blaming the weapon for an inability to use it is just ridiculous.

A thumb safety is there for a reason, in a tactical sense, in case of a disarm you will wish you had one when your own weapon is pointing at you. Dont think anyone is immune to a disarm.

That is one of the many reasons i love the Browning High Power. I keep the mag safety intact for that very reason.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:57 AM   #25
Officer's Match

Two of the better ccw's pistols out there IMO. You said the CZ feels better to you - that is way more important than what I think.

But, I also agree that holding and even dry firing is a whole different deal than shooting. I agree that Glock's are better in action than at rest. The "angle" does for me kinda' lock me in on target, which is to say I regain my sight picture quicker than with a comparable pistol, such as a M&P or XD. I think that the P-01 would be similar in shot-to-shot splits due to it's low bore, forward bias (thick dustcover) and slightly greater weight.

Both are deadnutz reliable. Both fairly accurate (slight edge to CZ). Similar costs. Very similar size. Other factors are lever and grip tang on CZ vs smoother surface on Glock (IWB carry?). Glocks are everywhere, the CZ more "unique". Glock may have a resale edge (and certainly a bigger market).

No wrong answer here - just the main question: Which do you want?

Tags
ccw , cz-p01 , glock