The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2010, 12:21 AM   #1
msta999

Speer 30 cal 130 gr. Hollow Point?

I have a box of these, I was thinking of loading for my son's 30-06, but they are hollow points. Hollow points aren't really for deer, are they? not sure what to use them for. I have always used soft points for deer. What do you use Hollow point .30 cal bullets for?
Old August 1, 2010, 12:43 AM   #2
TXGunNut

It was designed as a varmint bullet, might make a good coyote round.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 1, 2010, 03:00 AM   #3
bamaranger

interested

Yeah, I've noticed that bullet too, and thought it might be interesting in a 7.62 x 39 bolt gun.

TX is right, it was intended as a .30 cal varmint bullet. That said, I have no doubt, that properly applied, it would kill our 150 lb whitetails just fine, but much more frangible than a "real" deer bullet.

In an '06, it might make an ideal reduced velocity bullet for beginners. In an x39, I figure the velocity reduction would make it a passable deer bullet.

FWIW, there are some hollow point deer bullets. Sierra makes a 165 BTHP in .30. There were some W-W 30-30 /150 hollowpoints not too long ago, though I have not seen any for sale in a while. And the Barnes copper space bullets all are hollow points, but not lead cored.
Old August 1, 2010, 11:25 AM   #4
farmerboy

I havent shot alot of speer at all no have read that much about them but the most devastating bullet I ever eye witnessed was a buddy brung his daughter to kill a deer (her first) and brung a 22-250 with hollowpoints. I seen the little bullet and laughed but the next morning she shot a 7 pointer i believe. You couldnt hardly see the entrance hole, roll the deer over and the exit hole was larger than a softball. very impressive. Shot was about 85 yards. I wouldnt hesitate a second if they shot accurate.
Old August 1, 2010, 12:14 PM   #5
msta999

I just can't see using them in any of my 30 calibers. I am going to see if I can trade them for something. For now, he'll have to deal with Hornady 150 gr btsp's. At the low end of the powder chart, the kick isn't bad, though the group is just over 2 inches, might try a midrange load to see if it tightens up a little.

Didn't know you could use a 22-250 for deer. Isn't that smaller than a 243?
Old August 1, 2010, 01:07 PM   #6
farmerboy

here in Texas we can use any centerfire. If finances arent really a question as having to use what you have. MY go to bullet for 06 is the Hornady 165 gr SST. (devastating) Anyhow I use Varget powder and can shoot 10 rounds and have a large jagged hole. I've never downloaded them though but my load and rifle loves them. I have a 15 year old daughter and she shot my full power loads ever since she was 9. It takes a toll on the bench after about 10 rounds but hunting you rarely need or get a second shot anyhow. Anyhow wish you luck and fun in the process and great to hear your passing this on to your son.