The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2024, 07:24 AM   #1
JJ45

Ruger Mk1 Mag dilemma, advice

I've had various Mark pistols in the past and still own a stainless 22/45 standard.

Recently purchased a 1973, A100 frame, 4.75" with black eagle wood grips with one mag, 9 shot, small button on the left which is correct for that frame.

Given that Mk1 (standard) mags fetch black market prices and can be a crap shoot quality wise, I did a ton of internet research and investigation on Ruger forums and elsewhere, even some old posts on here, and the consensus was that Mark II mags would work fine in a Mark I

So I got 2 MKII mags, silver eagle floor plate, correct small button on the left, and despite all the internet advice they will not work in my MKI'

They will not engage the heel clip mag catch. So figuring they were useless as is, I took one and filed and sanded the base plate until it finally locked in place under the mag catch but still will not feed a cartridge into the chamber!

My question is; are there different MKII mags that will function in a MKI? Some have different colored eagle base plate and sized buttons. All that internet advice couldn't be wrong, could it
Old February 4, 2024, 07:36 AM   #2
JJ45

Forgot to mention I tried the brand new Ruger MKI mags, 9 shot, small button on left and they will not lock in place. Original MK1 mags work as intended.
Old February 7, 2024, 04:10 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

You're going to run into radius and button help from experts. I'm not one of them.

But they still exist new at half the price of ebay

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/736676900626
Old February 7, 2024, 06:51 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I have a couple original mags with my 1983 Mk I Target. Both fit just fine, one feeds flawless, the other is ..balky.

When it comes to .22 magazines and semi auto pistols, its always hit or miss. Whenever someone tells you, "this will work" its really "this should work" and "this might work". Your pistol will decide for itself what works and what doesn't.

Good Luck!
Old February 9, 2024, 11:35 AM   #5
Drm50

Just saw single slot Mk-1 mag go for $20 some bucks on eBay. Best thing to do is bid on everyone that comes up, at your price. It don’t cost you nothing and sooner or later you will get one. I bid on a dozen things a week, lucky to get winning bid on one item but when I do it’s a good deal. Seems to be dipsticks in bidding wars or item nobody needs at the present bid period.
Magazines, grips and sights go for big bucks one day and chump change the next. It’s a gamble but if you set the price you want to pay, bid it and leave it- you don’t fool around in bidding war.