The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 11, 2023, 12:21 PM   #1
Sevens

RIA 5.0 -- anyone have any opinions?

Has this new pistol, new design been discussed anywhere on TFL Forums?

"The search is your friend" they will say. And some folks are far more skilled at the search than I am. When the model name is as succinct as 5.0 and only expanded with RIA, the search engine either gives you nothing, or every occurrence of RIA.

If you have chatted about this pistol on TFL and can find the discussion, please link it here.

Otherwise, let's talk about it now!

Items up for discussion:
  • RIA went on a media blitz in Jan/Feb 2023 and debuted this at the SHOT Show '23
  • Fred Craig designed it... and then swiftly left RIA immediately after..?!
  • this pistol uses a locking system that is either absolutely new, or at least newly refined and the only of it's kind being used
  • the release to the general public was just after a handful had been sent to gun magazines, Youtube channels, etc and the only way to get one was from Advanced Tactical out of Nevada
  • I managed to get one pretty early -- received it on March 3rd but I suspect that RIA has had some production issues and not many more have since been shipped...? Because -NOBODY- seems to be discussing this anywhere now...?
  • I did my own amateur review of it on another forum that I can either link here or copy & paste. I don't do videos and I mostly loathe Youtube
  • sorry, it has been a crazy busy spring/summer, and I have only a bit over 400 rounds through it so far. Operation -- loading, feeding, firing, extraction, ejection have all been 100% flawless in these few rounds. Zero issues, zero bobbles, zero questions, no mysteries, no concerns.

What else, folks? Has anyone seen one for sale? Has anyone wanted one but could not get? Has anyone bought one and shot it?

Anyone a dealer or know a dealer that has inquired? Does anyone know why these are not shipping en masse?
Old August 11, 2023, 07:39 PM   #2
44caliberkid

Do search on YouTube, half dozen reviews on there.
Old August 14, 2023, 09:49 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

Classic misstatements by a lot the reviewers that anyone can see.

-The bore axis is not lower, the axis is actually very high. Measuring finger to top of slide? It appears actually very tall. With no protruding controls, it's rather normal width with no obviously large triangular peak at the top. It might be chunker that it looks on paper is what I'm saying.

-Claiming it's aluminum for weight increase. Increase of M&P Metal and M&P compact is 3 oz. Aluminum doesn't weigh more against polymer if there isn't a polymer version to compare. Steel for increase weight? sure. Aluminum? Not really.

That said, interesting looking. Sku US5.0ST returns nothing on gun.deals or gunbroker.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; August 14, 2023 at 09:58 PM.
Old August 14, 2023, 09:55 PM   #4
wild cat mccane

Looking again, major flub on the top of the tang that was bothering me but didn't want to say. But now anyone can confirm with in their stock photos. Not one person in the many multiple stock photos have the web of their thumb locked into the tang. For me, this area is where lots of flip control comes from. Certainly in a CZ likesh design.

Usually see this on women with smaller hands the tang is not designed to (very clear with the female pic they have) but not on large man hands.

That's going to be a a problem for the current frame design. Especially when claiming "deeper bore axis." Who cares if my hand doesn't grip it right.

https://advancedtactical.com/ria-5.0/

Last edited by wild cat mccane; August 14, 2023 at 10:00 PM.
Old August 15, 2023, 10:26 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm not impressed. The images I've seen remind me of the ill-fated Hudson semi-auto that was shown at the SHOT Show a few years ago but never really gained any traction in the marketplace. My gut feeling is that Armscor felt a need for a polymer semi-auto, and they looked around to find something that none of the other major brands was selling. This is the result.
Jeepaholic
Old August 15, 2023, 12:01 PM   #6
wild cat mccane

Tee hee. I'm a little confused.

It's clearly not for sale, but you have it.

You tell us about it!
Old February 2, 2024, 04:45 PM   #7
44caliberkid

I hate to drag up such an old topic, but I noticed in videos of the 2024 Shot Show, that RIA is devoting a huge part of their display on a resurrection of the 5.0. It was also the only product their reps were talking about. New and Improved! Now has an RMR cut on the slide. RIA making a big second push on this dog.
Old February 2, 2024, 07:42 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Armscor paid Fred Craig to design it, and they invested in the tooling to manufacture it. Like it or not, it's a totally new, clean sheet design. It's only natural they they want to recoup their R&D and start-up costs by selling as many of them as they can.
Jeepaholic
Old February 2, 2024, 08:29 PM   #9
smee78

The price seems high for what it is, MSRP $1998 on RIA web site.
Old February 2, 2024, 08:42 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee78
The price seems high for what it is, MSRP $1998 on RIA web site.
I agree. At that price, I wouldn't buy it even if I thought it might be a good gun -- which I don't. Not that I think it's junk. Armscor makes good firearms and I'm sure this one is well-made, but the design doesn't interest me even a little bit.
Jeepaholic
Old February 5, 2024, 02:34 AM   #11
bac1023

A very finely fit gun with a really unique design. At $1600 OTD, well worth it…

Old February 5, 2024, 02:37 AM   #12
bac1023

Quote:
I agree. At that price, I wouldn't buy it even if I thought it might be a good gun -- which I don't. Not that I think it's junk. Armscor makes good firearms and I'm sure this one is well-made, but the design doesn't interest me even a little bit.
The gun has absolutely nothing to do with other RIA pistols. Different factories, different designs, different standards, and even different countries

I personally don’t like RIA guns in general and I don’t buy anything cheap.

This is a nice pistol.
Old February 5, 2024, 02:47 AM   #13
bac1023

Quote:
I'm not impressed. The images I've seen remind me of the ill-fated Hudson semi-auto that was shown at the SHOT Show a few years ago but never really gained any traction in the marketplace. My gut feeling is that Armscor felt a need for a polymer semi-auto, and they looked around to find something that none of the other major brands was selling. This is the result.
The only thing it shares with the Hudson is a super low bore axis. Completely different design to the point in which one is striker fired and the other is hammer fired.

Lots of opinions in this thread, followed up by little to no knowledge.
Old February 5, 2024, 08:06 AM   #14
jar

Okay, if anything shown interests someone then at least it's available to be purchased however personally, I find it ugly, the slide appears hard to rack with far too little surface area to hold and with stupid holes that are just more places for junk to enter.

It's not something that would interest me at any price but I'm glad though amused if it is what others want.
Old February 5, 2024, 11:24 AM   #15
wild cat mccane

Funny the Hudson is mentioned because it's back too
Old February 5, 2024, 11:30 AM   #16
MarkCO

Quote:
the Hudson is back
from DD no less. That was rather surprising.

BUT, the RIA5.0 is a really nice pistol. Not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate what it is.
Old February 5, 2024, 11:34 AM   #17
wild cat mccane

I just can't get past that the tang can't be physically engaged by a human hand on the RIA 5.0
Old February 5, 2024, 03:07 PM   #18
Sevens

This new one has a higher quality finish than the original offering and they integrated the sights with an optics cut which makes it more viable for the folks who like dot sights. That and the added cuts on the slide are the differences in this new model.

It will be interesting (at least to me) to see if this one sells and if they actually ramp up production. They simply did NOT roll out many of the first models.

I have one of the first models. No way to be certain unless a Rock Island insider could look, but I believe I got one of the first 25 examples that were let loose to be purchased by us common folk that do not have any industry credentials.

It's an interesting gun that I need to spend more time with... at this point, post #13 is absolutely key to the discussion. But this is no real surprise, sigh.

If you have any interest in my review, you can find it here:
https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/.../#post-2781186

If you have no interest whatsoever, I'm certain you'll share it.
Old February 6, 2024, 02:49 PM   #19
wild cat mccane

I don't understand their website at all.

RIA is pretending the non "e" was ever released in any numbers, which it wasn't. Then everything is called "upgraded" and "new" from again, item above, something that was never really released.

https://www.armscor.com/ria50e
Old February 6, 2024, 04:39 PM   #20
Jim Watson

A friend liked the looks of the first version but I doubt he will stay interested in the “E” at nearly twice the price.