The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2024, 06:24 PM   #1
mk70ss

Before…and After

Cheap EBay wood grips dress it up some. For $20, you cant go wrong
Old January 13, 2024, 06:59 PM   #2
jetinteriorguy

That’s $20.00 well spent.
Old January 13, 2024, 07:41 PM   #3
smee78

I agree, they look pretty snazzy. I like them
Old January 13, 2024, 08:05 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Nice, it went from looking like a tank to a Humvee!LOL
Old January 14, 2024, 08:55 PM   #5
jmr40

The P series Rugers are reliable weapons, but I never really cared for the ergonomics or grips. You can sometimes find those used at bargain prices. Getting one with those grips might completely change my mind about one.

Winston Churchill
Old January 15, 2024, 05:17 PM   #6
priell3

Nice upgrade for a good price.

I have a P95.
Old January 16, 2024, 07:19 PM   #7
Sevens

You’re an astute guy (or so I’ve gathered over a decade+ that we’ve shared this forum ) so this isn’t necessarily directed at you but more to the general audience who might own a similar Ruger pistol.

There is trigger bar linkage that runs under the left side grip that is, in my experience, EXTREMELY sensitive to any non-OEM grip panel.

I installed some snazzy old Pachmayr grips on a mint condition Ruger P-90 that I had and Pachmayr was the undisputed king of aftermarket grips for a stretch of history, so no reason to expect that these would be janky or questionable but the P-90 refused to work with them.

I ended up trimming down the inside of the grip to get it away from that linkage but in my mind, I knew that it was a semi-flexible rubber panel and that only the original was going to put my mind at ease.

An aftermarket wood grip should be better — but I’d still be giving that a gorilla squeeze to ensure function before forgetting about it.
Old January 16, 2024, 07:25 PM   #8
HighValleyRanch

That looks like wood, and nothing a Dremel could not take care of regarding a trigger bar.
Old January 17, 2024, 10:40 AM   #9
Skans

those grips make all the difference! The main reason I never liked that gun was just because of the ugly plastic Ruger grips. Stupid of Ruger not to think about this some 30-odd years ago.
Old February 8, 2024, 05:57 AM   #10
priell3

My own before and after.

Old February 9, 2024, 08:00 AM   #11
Wag

Very nice!

--Wag--