The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 5, 2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Clevinger

Winchester Model 70 Super Grade?

I am interested in picking up a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 30-06 for deer, potentially in the used market though I'm also considering a new one.

I am having trouble telling which model 70's online (at gunsinternational, for example) are super grade. Is there a way from markings or serial number to tell this if the advertiser doesn't specifically specify it as such?

Also, any other recommendations for hunting for a used one? I've never bought a used gun before.

P.S. To brag a little, I got a 12 point buck (192 pounds, 16" spread) this weekend with a borrowed 30-06. I'm hooked.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:10 PM   #2
az_imuth

Not sure about earlier models, but a new SG should have fancy wood with a 'shadowline' cheekpiece, ebony tipped fore end, wrap-around checkering and a metal grip cap. The metal should have a high gloss blued finish and the barrel should be stamped "Model 70 Super Grade" on the right hand side. The model number for the Super Grade in 30-06 is 535107228.

From what I've seen on used SG prices, you'd probably be able to pick up a new one for what most folks are asking for a used model. Oh, and congrats on the buck!

Old November 5, 2012, 09:16 PM   #3
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevinger
P.S. To brag a little, I got a 12 point buck (192 pounds, 16" spread) this weekend with a borrowed 30-06. I'm hooked.
That will do it, nothing like success to get you going.

BTW I knew a Clevinger back in 1994-96, I was stationed at Ft Bragg 3-505 PIR.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Clevinger

Quote:
That will do it, nothing like success to get you going.
The story is a little unbelievable. I own a Benelli shotgun and some pistols, but had never fired a rifle or hunted for deer. I went with my father in law who is an avid hunter and loaned me a winchester 30-06.

I got that deer on the run, 170 yards out, on my second shot ever from a rifle (first shot missed). I had only been hunting an hour and a half.

I guess it's better to be lucky than good sometimes. I should have bought a lottery ticket Saturday.

Regardless, I'm hooked now.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Clevinger

Quote:
Not sure about earlier models, but a new SG should have fancy wood with a 'shadowline' cheekpiece, ebony tipped fore end, wrap-around checkering and a metal grip cap. The metal should have a high gloss blued finish and the barrel should be stamped "Model 70 Super Grade" on the right hand side. The model number for the Super Grade in 30-06 is 535107228.

From what I've seen on used SG prices, you'd probably be able to pick up a new one for what most folks are asking for a used model. Oh, and congrats on the buck!
Thanks for the information.

Yeah, I was a little taken aback by some of the asking prices for the used ones. You can by a new one for about 1200, and some guys were asking for essentially new prices. I'll probably just get a new one.

Are the post 2008 model 70's considered as good as the legendary old ones?
Old November 5, 2012, 11:47 PM   #6
taylorce1

You can't hardly buy what I would consider a bad Winchester M70, I even like the post 64 push feed rifles. Pre 1964 M70 Winchester rifles are the most desired but you can pick up a decent shooter grade for around $700-800. Then M70 Classics ($500-750+) and the new FN produced M70 are the next in desirability because of the claw extractor. Then you have the post 1964 push feed M70 ($350-500+) coming in last, but this is where you can find a the best deal on a great deer rifle IMO.

The reason I added the plus sign to the end of my prices was because certain rifles are hard to get and highly desired. The M70 XTR feather weight in 6.5X55 is one that comes to mind that runs between $800 & $1K for a push feed rifle for a 90% or better condition. However a .30-06 super grade shoulder be a lot easier to find just be patient and you'll find one that fits the amount of cash you want to pay.
Old November 6, 2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Tar_Heel83

Congrats to Clevinger on his fine buck!

Just piggybacking on his post. I'm in the market for my first rifle. I think I'm settled on purchasing a new FN Model 70 chambered in .270 Win. I am a traditionalist in that I like a wood stock. Now the decision in regards to which version of the Model 70 to purchase? Is the several hundred dollar difference between the Sporter and Super Grade worth it? Thanks for your input.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:20 AM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
Are the post 2008 model 70's considered as good as the legendary old ones?
I think they (the New FN's are better.

But in searching the used rack, don't discount the push feeds. There isn't a dern thing wrong with them. My best target rifles are built on the Push Feed Model 70s.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 6, 2012, 02:15 PM   #9
math teacher

Right after the switch over in 64, Winchester put out some stocks that had not been properly seasoned. They tended to warp badly and wouldn't hit the side of a barn from inside. Except for those, the push feed is fine and actually may be more accurate than the pre 64s. The new model 70 may be the best ever built.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Clevinger

Quote:
The new model 70 may be the best ever built.
Wow, high praise.

Thanks to all responders.

To echo a question above, is it worth paying a few hundred dollars more for a super grade over a sporter?
Old November 6, 2012, 11:19 PM   #11
ripnbst

For a "shooter rifle" used to deer hunt and get knocked around, no I don't think the extra money on the SG is worth it. If I was buying an M70 for hunting it'd be a featherweight.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:19 AM   #12
jmr40

I you are talking new production this link will help with photos and descriptions of current models.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...sp?family=001C

I'm more practical and prefer the EW. But if not buying stainless the Featherweight is my next pick followed by the Sporter. But if someone has the cash and will enjoy the Supergrade that is what they should buy.
Old November 8, 2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Orion6

Bud's has them for a little over a grand.

I want one so bad I can taste it. I will have one hopefully before I die.
Old November 8, 2012, 07:24 PM   #14
603Country

A few months ago I was in one of the big outdoors stores and was wandering through the gun section. They had some tables of discounted rifles and shotguns and one of them was a new SuperGrade Model 70. I picked it up and looked it over and that was a superbly built rifle. The metal finish was fabulous and the wood was really beautiful. It was expensive, and well over $1k, though I can't remember the actual price. What I have not forgotten was what a lovely rifle it was.

Some of the newer low cost and medium cost rifles don't look finished to me, with little or no metal polish and mediocre wood stocks. They might shoot great, but you can't really call them good looking. That SuperGrade was as good looking as any rifle I've seen in years.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:18 PM   #15
Ridgerunner665

There is a downside to the Supergrades...IMO.

Its that high gloss finish on them...I just don't like a shiny rifle...but thats just me.

I bought the Ultimate Shadow model (also a 30-06) and put a McMillan stock on it...the Ultimate Shadows are less expensive due to the plastic stock, and i knew I was gonna put a fiberglass stock on it anyway...didn't see the need in paying more for the Sporter.

They are ALL fine rifles...you can't go wrong...just decide if you want shiny blue or matte (dull) blue...thats the only difference.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:22 PM   #16
Ridgerunner665

The difference in the blueing...both are very well blued, just the Supergrade is polished to a shine.

Compare the pics posted of the Supergrade above to this pic of mine...its the only close up I have...notice how my bolt is not shiny like the one pictured above.

Tags
model 70 , super grade