The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 30, 2010, 10:58 AM   #26
sc928porsche

Before I do anything, I get my license and I READ ALL the REGULATIONS so that I have a thorough understanding of what is legal THIS year and what is not.
Old October 30, 2010, 09:43 PM   #27
Crankylove

My routine is almost exactly the same as Frankenmauser, since we hunt/camp together (except the "wake at 2:30 to uriniate......my bladder is better than his).

I have done the "up at 4:30, first in the field", and didn't really like it. I get the same results if I head out to actively hunt (several times we have filled tags within 50 yards of camp, but we weren't actually trying to fill a tag at the time) at 10 am as I do at 6 am.......so why waste a warm sleeping bag and a couple more hours of sleep?
Old October 30, 2010, 10:22 PM   #28
James H

Big P...I guess you get used to it. I grew up in Wisconsin but spent a lot of time in Pacific northwest the last ten years. When I go back in the middle of winter...damn it's cold. Last time I hunted in Wisconsin was deer season 2008. I wasn't used to it...had to drink way too much coffee to stay warm. You find ways to get by, though...a couple of instant heat pack for your hands are great when it's -15.

And oh ya...I don't know much about hunting when it's hot as hell out. I know enough to drink enough water and get your game cooled down as fast as possible...Always kinda wanted to shoot a javelina with my .308 when I lived in Nevada but never got a chance to get out for them.

Last edited by James H; October 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old October 30, 2010, 10:29 PM   #29
cornbush

As many of you know Crankylove, Frankenmauser and myself are brothers and hunt together.
The "vacation" routine works very well..... basically we do what we feel like, thouroughly enjoy ourselves and enjoy the surroundings and good company.
I have filled just as many tags after I crawled out of bed at 10am, made my coffee, and fiddle farted around before leaving camp at noon as I have gettin up at the butt crack of dawn.
Many tags were filled after somebody said "I wonder whats over there", or "I wonder how far that old road still goes".

Use your own routine, enjoy yourself, and dont go farther than you can pack one.
Old October 31, 2010, 09:24 AM   #30
TX Hunter

My Routine depends on what I am hunting at the time, For example if its Early Winter and I am hunting Racoon, usually when I get home from work on the last day of the week, I take a short nap, then Take my light off the charger, get my Compass, Squaller, Waiders, tracking system, and.22 Rifle, and put them in the truck, then I walk up to the kennel and grab one of my favorite hounds, then load him in the truck, then I kiss my wife goodbye, and head out into the darkness.

A few months later in the Spring, I wait until before daylight, then get up in a mad scramble, trying to remember all my calls and get out to the woods as quick as I can to listen for a Gobble, I usually dont kiss my wife goodbye on that one, because she is mad at me for waking her up by mistake, and she is telling me how I should have prepared better for the hunt.

Later in the spring, I might fish, or if a Cool Morning Hunt Hogs or even Coon hunt a little with my hounds.

In the Summer when It gets too hot for all of that stuff, I may fish a little early in the morning, or go work on my deer bliind, or just hang around with the family on my days off from work.

Then in the fall Its getting the kids up early in the morning to go squirrel hunting, and looking forward to

Deer Season, I get up early go to the woods wait wait wait, maby see something but usually I cant shoot it because I dont have a tag for it, then when I do see something I can shoot, it is back in the bushes before I can get my safety off, then I cuss. I go back in about mid to late morning for a quick nap and to eat, then go back out in the evening and repeat the process. But I usually end up having a good time anyway and have taken some game over the years.

I live within less than three miles from a huge tract of open land, so I do a little bit of everything. Hunt many species, by various means. It would be hard to pattern what Im doing because it changes with the seasons.
Old October 31, 2010, 01:29 PM   #31
James R. Burke

Go to the bait bucket about 2:00p.m. Fill the bucket with corn, and put some pancake syrup on the tree, and ground. Back to the blind about 100 yards away, sit down, and wait. Most the time get a eight on bigger.
Old October 31, 2010, 02:41 PM   #32
FairWarning

When I was a kid, my family owned a 250 acre farm, which made hunting trips easy. Then again I also had various uncles and cousins with land in the country as well, so it was easy enough to get an invite to hunt elsewhere for free. To date, I have never paid anything other than a small daily fee to hunt anywhere. It's a pity how some people either get too old and worn out to hunt or lose interest as many in family have since then...

An important part of the hunt is always the night before, which consists mostly of telling BS stories, talking about future plans, sometimes by campfire, consuming good food (but not too much) and checking everything 2 to 3 times to make sure you can be ready in minutes the next morning. Good comradery for all.

The next mornining:

4:30 am: Wake, eat ham (or deer sausage) & eggs and coffee
5:00 am: Drive to hunting area
5:30 am: Either walk or ride ATV to spot (as a teen, I goofed off too much with the ATV during midday, got out of that habit later)
6:00 am: Merge with nature as darkness turns to light
8:30-9:00 am: Move up to one time during the morning, if I bag one the hunting day is over, or if no luck, take a long midday break

MIDDAY: Either eat some food in the truck or a local hunter-friendly homestyle place (sorry, no chain restaurants) and recon possible spots for the afternoon hunt on the ATV, relax in the bright yet cool winter sun on a creek bank if possible (just typing this I'm remembering fondly a particular game reserve I used to frequent with dad with the most pristine sandy creek banks...)

3:00 pm - near dark: get into position for afternoon hunt, lather, rinse repeat except I eat and drink A LOT more after the evening hunt.

LATER EVENING: Tell even more BS stories, especially about the one you could've had that day if only....
Old November 1, 2010, 01:33 AM   #33
Tomas

Wake up at 6 in a cold tent, get ready, drink coffee, eat oatmeal, drive to hunt site.

Climb mountain for about an hour, sweat, grunt and trudge uphill the whole way. Then hunt until something is dead we can drag or 1/4 or pack out. go back to camp, eat lunch, and do it all over again in the evening. Repeat for 9 days or so.

we hunt hard, up in the mountains. No wussyboys allowed...we'll hike your sorry okole into the ground. Elk and Mule Deer like out of shape hunters slogging around public lands - they get to live another year.

My actual hunting routine starts tomorrow. I've already done my elk/mule deer hunting for the year. Took this week to bone out deer and elk meat, clean gear, etc. Tomorrow I start to prepare for 2011 with a 5 mile run...weights, core, and a 20 mile bike ride Tuesday.

Last edited by Tomas; November 1, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old November 2, 2010, 08:28 PM   #34
Cowboy_mo

DannyL....... Don't know what part of RSA you are from so maybe things are different.

I can tell you that during my Hoedspruit RSA hunt in August of this year, my PH and I set up on waterholes several days during the mid day lull. I also saw many an archery blind built over a waterhole with some even being 'baited' with alfalfa or other good hay.

We have an old saying in the US......... people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I very much enjoyed my time in RSA and I very much enjoy my hunts in the US.

BTW, there are probably many in the US who wouldn't consider 'driving the farm roads' to seek game "fair chase" and I know there is a lot of that in RSA.