The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 2, 2021, 02:06 PM   #1
tickTalk

Heritage carbine vs 16" handgun

I was wondering if anyone has both, the heritage revolving carbine, and the 16" barrel handgun.
It looks to me like they are the same frame and barrel, just a different backstrap and stock. Anyone have both and can compare?
i ask because I have the pistol, and they sell the carbine backstrap and stock on their website, and the barrel is just barely legal for a rifle.
Old December 2, 2021, 03:56 PM   #2
TX Nimrod

If the OP installs a buttstock on his revolver he will run afoul of Federal SBR regulations. That is a very bad thing to do.

Just because you can doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

.22LR - .223 - .22-250 - .243 - 6mm REM - .25-20 - .25-35 - .25 BB - .250/3000 - .257 WBY - .260 - .30 M1 - .300 BO - .30 Herrett - .300 Savage - .32 H&R - .303 - .338-06 - .338 WM - .35 REM - .38-55 - .45 LC - .45-70 - .50-70
Old December 2, 2021, 09:08 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

Opposite.

If you install it on the pistol, it becomes a rifle forever. Removing it becomes the problem.
Old December 3, 2021, 01:04 AM   #4
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Nimrod View Post
If the OP installs a buttstock on his revolver he will run afoul of Federal SBR regulations. That is a very bad thing to do.

Just because you can doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-p...possession-nfa
Old December 3, 2021, 11:30 AM   #5
tickTalk

totally legal

This pistol has a 16" barrel. That is legal for a rifle, as long as with the rifle stock it is overall 26" it is all legal.
And you can make a pistol into a rifle anytime you want without any paperwork, so long as the resulting rifle is 'legal'. You can switch it back to being a pistol anytime too... See ATF ruling 2011-4.
What you can't do is the opposite, take a rifle and make it into a pistol. You run afoul of 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4)
That is why modular systems like TC contenders are legal. I just bought and transferred the receiver registered as a pistol. then get whatever barrels and stocks you want.

And heritage customer service is non existent. They don't even acknowledge receiving an email, and phone is answered somewhere in India I think. Ever since they got bought by Taurus they have gone to crap...
Old December 7, 2021, 08:56 PM   #6
tickTalk

So nobody knows if the carbine back strap will fit on the pistol frames? I would hate to buy one and have it not fit..
Old December 7, 2021, 09:20 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

Page 30 of the "instruction manual" link

https://heritagemfg.com/rough-rider-...-leather-sling
Old December 7, 2021, 10:51 PM   #8
tickTalk

Thanks.. though that doesn't help much
So if we use that exploded view, I can ask my question differently...
Is part 1.1.1 (frame) the same as the frame on the pistols. Same exact shape and screw placements..
Considering how cheap heritage has gotten, I really suspect it is.. the carbine is just the 16" barrel pistol with a different back strap and stock.
You can get the pistol for <$150, the carbine is still >$300. But, the carbine back strap and stock are just $70...
Old December 8, 2021, 09:25 AM   #9
wild cat mccane

It helps incredibly well! You just didn't look!

Page 28 of the small bore shows that the pistol has the grip as part of the lower frame. The carbine does not have the pistol grip as part of the frame.

You're welcome :P
Old December 9, 2021, 01:23 PM   #10
tickTalk

Well that's because a carbine doesn't have a pistol grip.
it has a shoulder stock mount. I'm not sure where you were looking, but in both cases the backstrap (with integrated trigger gaurd) bolts onto the frame.
Thats part 2 on the rancher, and part 12.3/12/4 on the pistols.. I suspect that 1.1.1 on the carbine is the same part as 6.2 on the pistol.
Its all moot since I ordered the parts anyway.. will see if they fit.

Last edited by tickTalk; December 9, 2021 at 06:48 PM.
Old December 9, 2021, 05:57 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

I am willing to be wrong. But just looking at both frames, the grip on the pistol isn't going to allow the stock to fit. If it does, the pistol frame is way below the carbine stock.
Old December 10, 2021, 10:25 PM   #12
franco45

You remove the grip frame and replace it with the backstrap assembly and then attach the stock.https://www.shopheritagemfg.com/stocks
Old December 10, 2021, 11:09 PM   #13
wild cat mccane

I bet you physically can't attach it on purpose without swapping out the carbine grip frame thingy backstrap on the pistol. Here's the reason why:

Without that finger rest thingy on the carbine for your supporting hand, you're going to put your supporting hand in a bad place for gas and lead spitting.

Heritage would be really dumb to let you just put on the stock and not allow you a safe place to put your other hand...

Will be interesting to hear back.
Old December 11, 2021, 12:24 AM   #14
Bill DeShivs

The grip frame for the stock is different from the pistol grip frame. My bet is the grip frames will interchange.
Old December 18, 2021, 05:24 PM   #15
tinhorn

Anxious to hear how it turns out. I looked at the handgun but after my wife asked if a flag would fly out saying BANG, I bought the carbine. Who can resist a revolving rifle?

You know that for cheap money you can buy a magnum cylinder, right?
Old December 18, 2021, 06:07 PM   #16
Mike38

A Thompson Contender pistol can be switched to a rifle, then back to a pistol, right? As long as the overall length of the rifle meets minimum legal specs. Or am I wrong?
Old January 1, 2022, 03:36 AM   #17
wild cat mccane

Yes. This is wrong. If you have a short barrel and a stock, you have intent to make an SBR.

Waiting to hear back if the pistol grip frame part fits the stock. I don't think they do.
Old January 2, 2022, 12:28 AM   #18
Bill DeShivs

You actually think they would make an entirely different frame for the rifle?
Do you know what a single action grip frame is, and how it attaches?
Old April 4, 2022, 04:39 PM   #19
tickTalk

Just in case anyone is still interested.. I got the new backstrap and a basic wood stock.. and YES, the carbine backstrap is interchangeable with the pistol grip backstrap. If I could figure out how to post a pic here, i would do so.
this does raise the issue of putting this on one of the other hm revolvers.. instantly making an illegal SBR... so don't do that. but the 16 pistol has a 16.3 inch barrel.. all legal. And since this was born a pistol, can switch back and forth whenever I want.
don't pull the shoulder stock off one originally 'born' as a carbine and replace with a pistol grip, though.
Now, I need to figure out if the 'barkeep' backstrap is interchangeable with the roughriders.. I want one of the new 1 inch barrel barkeep boots.. but of course, to short for california roster single-action exemption . I can modify one after I legally get it though. So I think I will get a 3 inch barkeep, replace the grip and backstrap with a birdshead and backstrap, and cut the barrel down to 1 inch. Don't even have to worry about the front sight, as the boot doesn't have one.
Old April 4, 2022, 04:59 PM   #20
DaleA

Thanks for getting back to us. Lots of folk wonder how these things turn out.

Just as a side note I think the restriction that you can't put a shoulder stock on a hand gun is really dumb to the point where if anyone had any common sense the restriction would be lifted immediately.

I also think the restriction on suppressors/silencers is dumb too. Since the EUROPEANS sometimes allow them without restrictions I don't know why we can't have them in this country too.

The last bit is a slap at the folk making regulations...many of whom seem to be enamored with EVERYTHING that the EUROPEANS do.
Old April 4, 2022, 05:13 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

I never saw this thread before now.
I could have shut down some of the Fuddery and non-sense about "illegal NFA item", as well as helped you out with your question.

The frames on Rough Riders are interchangeable.
I bought a Rough Rider 16" specifically so that I could go back and forth from handgun to carbine. You can't do it (legally) if you start with the Rancher carbine.
Old April 4, 2022, 10:42 PM   #22
tickTalk

Yeah.. I have a TC contender with assorted rifle and pistol barrels, stocks and grips.. basically just bought a pistol frame and grip, then built up from there..
Now my issue is which 16" RR to use.. back when i got them, I got 2. The plan was to cut one down to 12". Before I got around to that, heritage came out with a 12" RR (only in that ugly fake case hardened, but whatever).. so I switched to the carbine.. I got one of each model 16", the iron sights and the fibre sights.. which would you use for the carbine?
Old April 5, 2022, 09:41 AM   #23
FrankenMauser

Would depend upon desires.
If wanting something "nostalgic", iron sights.
If wanting more precision, the 'target' sights.
Old April 6, 2022, 04:41 PM   #24
wild cat mccane

The Heritage manuals are wrong? It clearly shows the carbine has a different gripe area on the frame. Color me wrong. But then so is the Heritage manual on their website. Page 30 of the Carbine: https://heritagemfg.com/Heritage_RancherManual.pdf
Old April 6, 2022, 09:35 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

It is a different shape, but does not affect function. It bolts right on.