The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 5, 2019, 10:51 AM   #1
thallub

OK Constitutional Carry Is Five Days Old

Yep, there have already been some noteworthy incidents by "Second Amendment rights" activists.

The owner of an OK City local grill has unwelcomed long gun carriers after this Second Amendment "auditor" showed up:

Quote:
“I am carrying the AR-15, we are open carry OC in the ghetto. We are in the ghetto guys,” said Harper in the video.

As he posted the live video, supporters on his YouTube page posted comments like “Target Practice” and “More Fake Jews,” and “These guys hate the white man”. Another simply wrote, “If you feel threatened for your life could make ourself feel safe. Shoot ‘em.”

Miller Grill owner Jason McCormick, a supporter of the Second Amendment himself, said there’s no place for that in his restaurant.
https://www.news9.com/story/41270825...in-okc-surface

Bankers and others are concerned:

https://www.oba.com/2019/01/25/secon...-auditors-huh/

With guys like these who needs anti-gunners.

Last edited by thallub; November 5, 2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old November 5, 2019, 11:36 AM   #2
2damnold4this

Wow. I wonder what Harper thinks he is accomplishing. I agree with the grill owner.
Old November 5, 2019, 12:30 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Sum peepulz ain't got no common sense.
Jeepaholic
Old November 5, 2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Don Fischer

I think concealed carry should be alright for everyone. I think open carry should require a permit!
Old November 5, 2019, 05:52 PM   #5
FITASC

Some folks just have zero common sense
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 5, 2019, 06:29 PM   #6
2ndsojourn

Common sense isn't common anymore.
Old November 5, 2019, 07:43 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Out of curiosity, what did Oklahoma state law say about open carry of long guns prior to the new, permitless carry law going into effect?
Jeepaholic
Old November 6, 2019, 05:08 AM   #8
J.G. Terry

I don't suggest an auditor visit a local bank with a long gun. Dude would find out that we can do most anything we want but need to be mindful of accepting the consequences. Wonder how this audit business affects other firearm owners. Hope these audit guys do not decide to visit a school or church.
Old November 6, 2019, 05:18 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

*sigh* So he's a "self-proclaimed Second Amendment 'auditor,' is he? That speaks volumes to me right there.
Old November 6, 2019, 07:24 AM   #10
FITASC

Maybe "auditor" sounds less scary than "operator"..........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 6, 2019, 08:19 AM   #11
zukiphile

I've been in "the ghetto". It has never occurred to me to proclaim, "We are in the ghetto now!".

The real value would be in a compiler with an internet application rather than an auditor. Yelp gives restaurant ratings and GasBuddy tells people where the cheapest gasoline is. The value is in the reporting to users whether a business prohibits patrons who are armed but whose arm is not concealed. The app would ideally allow businesses to self report.

The problem with Rifle McBeergut as a test is that it isn't entirely clear which aspect of his person makes people wish he would leave.

Last edited by zukiphile; November 6, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old November 6, 2019, 09:45 AM   #12
MTT TL

Yep. Seem to recall many warnings of this type behavior over the years in this very forum. Something about being beholden to the lowest common denominators of intelligence, decency, courtesy and common sense. That was all glossed over.
Old November 6, 2019, 02:41 PM   #13
reynolds357

I don't like open carry in public places. It does our cause more harm than anything else.
Old November 6, 2019, 04:09 PM   #14
MTT TL

It isn't so much open carry as it is people making fools and public spectacles out of themselves. Since we can't eliminate that...
Old November 6, 2019, 04:17 PM   #15
Sequins

Sad!
Old November 6, 2019, 05:14 PM   #16
DaleA

Quote:
I don't like open carry in public places. It does our cause more harm than anything else.
This ^.

Quote:
It isn't so much open carry as it is people making fools and public spectacles out of themselves.
And this ^.

Although there are so MANY people making fools and public spectacles of themselves for so MANY different reasons this might not be as bad as we fear.

It's just...not classy. I think most people on this site agree about this 'in your face' open carry but then when we've had the occasional anti-gun person show up on this site the members have almost always treated them respectfully and posted thoughtful (and correct) reasons to support our positions. (And that's another reason I like this site.)
Old November 6, 2019, 05:26 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

While I understand the reticence of some of you to open carry because it may alarm Suzie Soccermom, the opposing view is that anything that's kept hidden, out of sight and out of mind, tends to be alarming when it may need to be uncovered due to necessity. The reason the Suzie Soccermoms of the world get the vapors when they see a GUN!!! is that they have been brainwashed into believing that everyone who has a gun is a mass murderer who will start blasting away any moment.

In places where open carry is legal and commonplace, you mostly don't see anyone getting the vapors over encountering a (GASP!) "man with a gun" if said man is somewhat presentably dressed, clean shaven or has a neatly-trimmed beard, and doesn't smell like a hog farm. Around here, where open carry is legal but not commonplace, my [limted] experience is that if you open carry when dressed in decent slacks and a polo shirt or a button-down shirt, with the gun in a nice holster on a leather belt, anyone who notices the gun will probably think you're a cop.

The fact is (IMHO), we need more people who look and act like gentlemen (and ladies) to open carry, as a way of coutering the stereotype that anyone with a gun must be a killer and is therefore to be feared.
Jeepaholic
Old November 6, 2019, 05:55 PM   #18
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA
It's just...not classy.
Other things that aren't "classy" include speaking unpopular opinions publicly, attending socially disfavored churches, telling a highway patrolman that he doesn't have your consent to search your car, and arguing with internal revenue about your taxes.

Yet, any of those can be important, necessary, and may deserve our defense. Put differently, a right we can exercise only when it meets wide approval is not right at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
The fact is (IMHO), we need more people who look and act like gentlemen (and ladies) to open carry, as a way of countering the stereotype that anyone with a gun must be a killer and is therefore to be feared.
Indeed. A society in which no one is ever seen with an arm is going to more readily accept that no one should have or needs an arm. No one can be shocked by a common sight, and we should expect even normal people to note unusual sights. Ordinary people carrying in an ordinary way should seem ordinary to us.
Old November 6, 2019, 05:57 PM   #19
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
While I understand the reticence of some of you to open carry because it may alarm Suzie Soccermom, the opposing view is that anything that's kept hidden, out of sight and out of mind, tends to be alarming when it may need to be uncovered due to necessity. The reason the Suzie Soccermoms of the world get the vapors when they see a GUN!!! is that they have been brainwashed into believing that everyone who has a gun is a mass murderer who will start blasting away any moment.

In places where open carry is legal and commonplace, you mostly don't see anyone getting the vapors over encountering a (GASP!) "man with a gun" if said man is somewhat presentably dressed, clean shaven or has a neatly-trimmed beard, and doesn't smell like a hog farm. Around here, where open carry is legal but not commonplace, my [limted] experience is that if you open carry when dressed in decent slacks and a polo shirt or a button-down shirt, with the gun in a nice holster on a leather belt, anyone who notices the gun will probably think you're a cop.

The fact is (IMHO), we need more people who look and act like gentlemen (and ladies) to open carry, as a way of coutering the stereotype that anyone with a gun must be a killer and is therefore to be feared.
I am as pro2A as they come. Soccer mom votes. Jimmy Jackwagon open carrying his M-4gery into Walmart makes a bunch of folks anti gun.
Old November 6, 2019, 06:20 PM   #20
zukiphile

Quote:
Jimmy Jackwagon open carrying his M-4gery into Walmart makes a bunch of folks anti gun.
Maybe.

The political experience of the last couple of decades suggests that OC and a wider public consciousness that ordinary people may carry arms have put individual rights in a stronger position in the states. In mono-party systems where anti-gun sentiment is already strong, open carry rallies may not result winning over people already opposed to private arms. In other places it can be part of a political movement that results in public and police acceptance.

Condemning Jimmy Jackwagon for exercising a valid right clumsily in a strategic effort to upset no one can't be ultimately effective. The world has an ample supply of dopes with rights to keep and bear, speak, publish, associate freely, worship etc. The people who are opposed to those rights are unlikely to be persuaded by expressions of worry and ambivalence.
Old November 6, 2019, 06:48 PM   #21
MTT TL

Quote:
n other places it can be part of a political movement that results in public and police acceptance.
Or, as other have pointed out, more restrictive laws and business policies.

Quote:
Condemning Jimmy Jackwagon for exercising a valid right clumsily in a strategic effort to upset no one can't be ultimately effective.
IMO Jimmy is trying to trigger people. He is trying to upset them on purpose. When it works and he gets arrested he does what everyone does when they get arrested and claim he never meant to do that, or didn't know the law or "pick an excuse". When he gets kicked out and barred he then claims that "the place" is anti-gun. Most everywhere is anti-jerk. The idiots make it anti-gun by being a jerk with a gun.
Old November 6, 2019, 06:58 PM   #22
TXAZ

Just because can, doesn’t mean it’s prudent or you should.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 6, 2019, 06:59 PM   #23
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL
Or, as other have pointed out, more restrictive laws and business policies.
Sic hoc ergo propter hoc? If you had an OC rally in CA and thereafter restrictions were passed, is that the result of OC? Or is that a one party system that was going to restrict rights even without any rally?

In Ohio, OC was necessary very early on. It was legal on the books, but police arrested people for it anyway. It was illegal in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL
IMO Jimmy is trying to trigger people. He is trying to upset them on purpose. When it works and he gets arrested he does what everyone does when they get arrested and claim he never meant to do that, or didn't know the law or "pick an excuse". When he gets kicked out and barred he then claims that "the place" is anti-gun. Most everywhere is anti-jerk. The idiots make it anti-gun by being a jerk with a gun.
I used to enjoy a drink or two. Some people are jerks when they drink, and they mostly seem to be jerks when they don't drink too.

I see Jimmy as analogous to a fellow with a beer in his hand the day after the 21st Am. passed, drunk and asking what the PO is going to do about it. It will get old, and he'll go back to his other poor life choices.

I'll guess that businesses with a policy against patrons with rifles didn't have to wait for Jimmy to do his thing to come to their conclusions. I'll also guess that some businesses kick Jimmy out and don't get wound up about normal people.

Last edited by zukiphile; November 6, 2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old November 6, 2019, 08:00 PM   #24
davidsog

Quote:
With guys like these who needs anti-gunners.
What an embarrassment. This is why there are labels like "gun nut".
Old November 6, 2019, 08:29 PM   #25
J.G. Terry

What to do

You can see the mood in the country changing. The radical anti-gunners head's are exactly like the radical pro-gunners. Nobody is going to change their mind. The mass of undecided individuals should be the focus of attention. These people do have a right to be apprehensive when faced with an openly armed stranger. This is a rational response. Every time somebody pulls these auditor stunts it hurts us. I have the strength of my convictions but want no part of mall ninja's or auditors. Doing something freaky with a gun to make guns OK does not make sense.

Added: How if you and your family were eating dinner in a good restaurant. In walks a clone of the "auditor" with AR and extra loaded magazines plus a handgun. In that instant how would you feel. Obviously, this is a pro 2A person making statement-right? Would you jump up and say," what are your intentions?"

Last edited by J.G. Terry; November 6, 2019 at 08:38 PM.
Closed Thread