The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2009, 11:37 PM   #1
zxclem

Nickel plated brass

I have never loaded 10mm before. While looking to purchase brass I've noticed more nickel plated than plain brass. Is this unique to 10mm? What's the differance between the two? I've reloaded some nickel plated 45acp and noticed the extra force required to size it. Is it hard on the dies? Any info would be helpfull.
Old February 24, 2009, 12:12 AM   #2
That'll Do

As far as I know, the only difference between the two is the nickel plating, which will eventually wear off. As long as the brass is clean, I don't see how the nickel plated brass could be hard on your dies.
Old February 24, 2009, 07:52 AM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

No difference...one is shinier As far as the extra force needed to size....I use carbide pistol dies, so lubing is not necessary....BUT I recommend it. Your arm will thank you. I use a littl hornady One Shot to lightly lube my pistol cases before I resize them. A HUGE difference! If they are still hard to size after lubing, add a little more lube.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 24, 2009, 08:43 AM   #4
zxclem

Thanks for the responses. I use a turret press with carbide dies for pistol. Not having to lube (and then remove the lube) is a BIG plus. If there is no practical advantage to the nickel plating (like extra case life), I'll stick with plain brass. It's cheaper anyway. Thanks again.
Old February 24, 2009, 09:55 AM   #5
MaineColt

Hmmmmm..... I like nickle plated brass because it sizes easier that regular brass. I have never heard anyone say that it cycles harder.

I use no lube, but I do have all carbide dies.

Must just be me.
Old February 24, 2009, 11:51 AM   #6
James R. Burke

I have no poblems at all with the nickel. Most everyone in our club is using it. Plus it looks cool.