The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2009, 03:04 AM   #1
Plaz

RCBS versus Dillon CM500 Separators

I am at a point where I want to purchase a Media separator. I am down to the RCBS and the Dillon CM500.

I sure would like to hear of some opinions between the two separators.

It seems that there are a lot of bad reviews regarding cheap construction of various separators.
Old February 24, 2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Hommbs

Does the RCBS unit have a built in cover?? If you cover the Dillon separator it will help a LOT to keep it from flying all over the place. I'de go with whichever one handles the most cases and is the widest as that will help to prevent spillage when you pour everything into it. I have the large Dillon separator and it is nice.....as long as you spin slowly to prevent flinging the media everywhere, or spin to your hearts content with a box covering it.
Old February 24, 2009, 07:57 AM   #3
F. Guffey

Plaz, do not know about the Dillon or RCBS, I have the MIDWAYUSA Rotary-7, it has a short bucket (shorter than 5 gallon bucket), an adapter and snap to gather rotary, all plastic, it has had a work out, I also have the two handle basket with holes in the bottom, the rotary plus to tumblers fit into a foot locker, the basket separator misses about as much as it removes because of the design of the case, the case is heavy on one end and tends to stand on the heavy end causing the media to be trapped, then there is the problem with standing over something that is creating a dust storm real or perceived I do not need the dust.

The Rotary-7 type separator has done a good job of holding up and separating cases from media.

F. Guffey
Old February 24, 2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Sevens

I bought the cheap Frankford Arsenal kit from Midway with their blue, round, hinged separator with the single blue crank on it. It comes with a 5-gallon bucket and the plastic hardware to clip the separator on to the bucket.

Yep, you need to turn s-l-o-w-l-y for the first couple of turns or the media flings out of the bucket. But after the slow first couple, you can spin it quickly and it works like a champ, gets all the media out and dumps all the media in to the bucket. I had my reservations given the low price, but this unit works VERY well.

It would seem to me that if you owned a public range and you gathered hundreds of pieces a day and thousands of pieces each weekend, you'd probably wear it out pretty quick... it is all made of cheap plastic. But for the general shooter, it's worth the few dollars it sells for.

Sorry that I don't have experience with either of the two you listed.
Old February 24, 2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Master Blaster

I have the RCBS one. I also have a Dillon CV500 and the RCBS seperator is too small to easily pour the CV500 load into, I have to do it very carefully. You really need three hands because the basket always wants to move or close.
Italso seems to leak top on or not.

I have no idea how someone with a big rcbs case cleaner pours the contents into this sperator without spilling the cases and the media.

Last edited by Master Blaster; February 24, 2009 at 09:15 AM.