The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 13, 2024, 11:27 AM   #1
liv4spd

Budget-Friendly Finds: Affordable handguns with Exceptional Value

Should we compile a list for beginners to showcase handguns with exceptional value? No discontinued models please.

Conceal carry:
- Smith Wesson M&P series: a little over $300
- CZ P10-C: a little over $300
- Ruger Security 9 for < $300
- Taurus G3C for ~$200

Hammer-fired full metal guns:
- CZ 75 compact, PCR, P-01 for a little over $500.

Revolvers:
- Ruger Wrangler for ~$200

Last edited by liv4spd; February 13, 2024 at 02:50 PM.
Old February 13, 2024, 12:44 PM   #2
Recycled bullet

The Rock Island Armory revolvers I have touched are low quality. Three of the last five that I've seen in different gun shops were not safe to shoot in my opinion.

I could advance the cylinder into lock up with my fingers after the hammer is cocked.
I think that means the gun is capable of discharging with misalignment between the barrel and cylinder.
Old February 13, 2024, 01:15 PM   #3
mk70ss

For Home Defense, used Ruger P90 or P89 are a bargain generally.
Old February 13, 2024, 02:20 PM   #4
Ricklin

Plenty of cheap out there!

SCCY, not a fan of the trigger but that darn thing has been 100% from the first long and spongy when is this thing going to fire pull of the trigger. 239 for a compact 9mm with optic that co-witness's is hard to beat. Accuracy is fine for what it is, I'd bring another gun for for than 7 yard shooting. I've decided to make a dedicated "truck" gun of it for the Tesla!
Further along the lines of good guns for short money is Tisas, I've had their GI version .45 for a couple years and a couple hundred rounds. Not a fan of the tiny GI sights, I may upgrade the sights or trade it in to a fancier .45 or maybe dress up what I have.
Old February 13, 2024, 02:51 PM   #5
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
The Rock Island Armory revolvers I have touched are low quality. Three of the last five that I've seen in different gun shops were not safe to shoot in my opinion.

I could advance the cylinder into lock up with my fingers after the hammer is cocked.
I think that means the gun is capable of discharging with misalignment between the barrel and cylinder.
Thanks for the response. Rock Island revolvers have been removed from this list.
Old February 13, 2024, 05:04 PM   #6
Drm50

I don’t do plastic so No Comment. On subject of all metal auto the CZ at $500 bracket is a good durable and accurate pistol. What else is there? A collection of junk 1911 clones? You are going to have to shell out more money for anything equal to them. I don’t own one I have older Browning & Colts and I know you have to go to CZ to get equal quality.
The Ruger Wrangler is the better than a Rough Rider and I guess a good deal in that market. Again a Single-6 is over twice the cost of the Wrangler. Apples and oranges.
Old February 13, 2024, 06:08 PM   #7
jar

Two from Tisas; one 9mm Luger and one .380.

Tisas Zigana K: a 9mm Luger that feels very Sig P226 like but considerably less expensive.

Tisas Fatih: a Beretta like 380. Comfortable and relatively inexpensive.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TISAS-FATIH-380-left.jpg (77.0 KB, 548 views)
Old February 14, 2024, 01:32 AM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

The Ruger P95 is an option. Usually pretty cheap, plentiful mags, they hold up well and tend to be reliable.

DA triggers are stiff but generally not so bad as to make the gun unusable.

There's no longer any significant parts support from Ruger, but parts breakage isn't usually an issue with these pistols.
Old February 14, 2024, 09:17 AM   #9
Pumpkin

Any of the Airweights from Smith. CC and trail use are what I use mine for.
Old February 14, 2024, 10:56 AM   #10
wild cat mccane

The TISA finish is one reason they are cheaper, but they are cheaper.

The IFG/Tanfogolios models typically are less expensive than comparable models by CZ, while they are very similar but different. Tanfogolios have some of the better featured guns while also being the cheapest (10mm for example).

The P series Sigs with factory STR probably have the best triggers of any normal priced gun. I haven't felt a trigger that resets faster than my stock Sig P226 Elite.

The CZ P10 does appear to have photos of a new frame coming, so the discount now is probably due to the model needing to be blown out of inventory.

Almost all "great" handguns fall in the 500 dollar range.

I would argue that Rough Rider is a better gun than the Ruger Wrangler. You can buy it with a WMR cylinder. And then you can buy another.

However, the Canik series and now unfortunately Tri-Star/Canik metal CZ rip off line have some of the better values. For example, I would think a Canik Walther rip off TP9SF would be a more enjoyable single action striker fire than say the S&W SVDE line.

Point is, they are all "bargains." However, there only a few that are just terrible.

I think any handgun from Diamondback is 100% do not buy.
I think there are some big questionable buys on the Taurus line.
I think there are cautions on the Turkey multiple manufacture lines
Old February 14, 2024, 11:01 AM   #11
wild cat mccane

Take it back.

True bargains are the LCP and P365. No gun serves the purpose/role better.
Old February 14, 2024, 11:29 AM   #12
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Take it back.

True bargains are the LCP and P365. No gun serves the purpose/role better.
I would argue that the Shield Plus is nearly as good as the P365 at half the price. Haven't tried the P365 yet, but the trigger of the Shield Plus is freaking awesome.
Old February 14, 2024, 03:34 PM   #13
jmr40

If buying new I've found Ruger's budget guns to be good values.

But where I live used Glocks are $400 everywhere. If you buy from an individual $350. That is still the most gun for the dollar and I'd have no concerns about buying a used one. You can return it to Glock and they will refurb the gun and replace any worn parts at no cost.

Winston Churchill
Old February 14, 2024, 05:00 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled bullet

Either your experience is out of the ordinary, or mine is. I have owned three of them over the years, and still own two. While the finish isn't anywhere near a Colt Royal Blue, the guns are solidly made, reliable, shoot well, and have triggers that are much better than many more expensive DA revolvers. I know other owners whose experience mirrors mine.
Jeepaholic
Old February 14, 2024, 05:32 PM   #15
Recycled bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Either your experience is out of the ordinary, or mine is. I have owned three of them over the years, and still own two. While the finish isn't anywhere near a Colt Royal Blue, the guns are solidly made, reliable, shoot well, and have triggers that are much better than many more expensive DA revolvers. I know other owners whose experience mirrors mine.
I like the finish (rough parkerizing/ or some rough phospate?), the grips (small and thin wood panels)and the triggers (smooth and easily staged) on all the rock island revolvers I have seen.

There is one sitting in the case at my LGS. If it's still there on Friday I'll ask the man if I may be permitted to inspect the gun mechanically.

I want to give the gun a chance.

My bucket of 38 special brass is teasing me about it. : )