The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 12, 2024, 02:00 PM   #1
SIGSHR

Conversion units.

Jonathan Arthur Ciener has closed after 40 years, CZ has discontinued their Kadet unit. I have gotten a lot of use out of my Ciener units, regret they never made one for S&Ws. Excellent way to train a new shooter, they get familiar
with a CF handgun while learning to shoot with 22s, when they transition to CF the feel of the pistol is the same. And during the ammo shortages I fired 22 exclusively.
Old January 12, 2024, 02:14 PM   #2
rc

I think Ciener created the first affordable conversion but there is so much competition these days I'm not surprised they finally went out of business.
Old January 13, 2024, 12:43 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I am fortunate to have purchased a CZ Kadet and original Colt Ace conversions (with the Williams floating chamber).
Old January 13, 2024, 02:53 PM   #4
trophyrider

I have both the CZ Kadet conversion and the Kadet pistol. I had to change the slide stop on my P-01 in order to get the slide to lock open on an empty magazine.
Old April 12, 2024, 09:56 PM   #5
rodfac

I've had 3 of them for my 1911's...accurate and well made, they were reliable if I kept the chambers and breach faces brushed out. Not Bullseye accurate, but Mini Mags would do an honest 2" at 25 yds.

Always wanted one for my Browning HP's but never found one that was reasonable.

I've also had a cpl of Sigs for my P226 and P229, as well as a Colt sliding chamber upper for my Gold Cup. The Sigs were as accurate as the center fire barrels but the Colt was a PITA from all standpoints: accuracy was 3-4" at 25 yds, and the sliding chamber was virtually impossible to keep clean.

The best of them all is a Marvel unit for my 1911's. It's good enough in accuracy and reliability to be a club contender in NRA Bullseye matches. I haven't shot it in a cpl of years but IIRC, it would fit both the 5" bbl'd frames and my Commanders.

Sorry Ciener's gone, he made a quality product...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 13, 2024, 08:14 AM   #6
Hellcat1

Speaking of conversion kits, I just bought, installed and tried out this Advantage Arms .22 kit on my Nighthawk 1911 this week, and it seems to be a great unit. I don't normally get to shoot this gun too often since the .45 ammo is a bit expensive to use for fun at the range, and the gun is not something I would use for carry, so having the conversion kit gives me a great option for using the gun more frequently. Plus, this gun in its .45 configuration, is the one I use for my state's LTC range qualification, so it's good to practice with it more frequently.

Frank
Old April 17, 2024, 04:41 AM   #7
DaleA

Hellcat1-Thanks for posting. As I've said in previous posts I've been less than satisfied with the Colt .22LR conversion unit for 1911's.

The Advantage Arms conversion unit looks interesting. Note: they say it does not fit the Springfield Armory's Range Officer.

$350 for the target model.
$285 for the standard and Commander models.

You can read about it here:
https://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/me...gory_Code=1911