The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 12, 2009, 06:29 PM   #1
okiefarmer

Advice needed on barell length.........

I am watching a coupla auctions (hope I'm not interfering with anyone here watching the same ones) as I have mentioned I have a lonely holster to fill, ha.

Anyway, the first one states a 5-3/4" barell. It looks longer than that as the loading rod seems too long to me. The second link to auction shows a 5" barell, and the loading rod is extremely short. I know the cameras always add 5 pounds to people on screen, but does it make loading rods look shorter or longer. Something don't seem right between these two.

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/Di...temNum=9476596

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=150016469

Any advice appreciated.
I would prefer to to have the steel frame .31 over the brass frame .36, but it just don't look like the 5-3/4" advertised length.
Old December 12, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

The first lister has included the phone number, call them and ask you've got nothing to loose. Ask them to take a photo with a ruler along side of the gun showing the barrel length and send it to you.
Old December 12, 2009, 06:56 PM   #3
toolslinger

Both are pretty cool. I note the steel frame is cheaper. I like the Confederate brasser as to looks and it shows a pretty bore.
Old December 12, 2009, 07:12 PM   #4
mykeal

The guns have different sized frames, which tends to distort the picture. A good way to tell if the first gun barrel is actually 5 1/2 inches long would be to scale the cylinder length and compare that to the barrel length. I don't have a .31 cal pocket gun, but you might try this: on most adults the distance from the tip of the thumb to the first knuckle is close to 1 inch. I copied the photo with both the barrel and the thumb of the person holding it, made 5 copies of the thumb and laid them on top of the barrel using a photo retouching program. Using that method the barrel is 5 1/2 inches long.
Old December 12, 2009, 07:40 PM   #5
okiefarmer

I did call, and he said the girl (looks like a girl's thumb in pic) that takes care of the internet auctions is out today, to call back Monday. That won't help, it expires tomorrow, Sunday, about this time.

I did some figuring too. My '51 36 cal cylinder is 1-3/4" long. In the photo, the barrel is just short of 4 times the length of the barrel, and I would guess a .31 cylinder is a bit shorter than a .36, so if it's anywhere close to 1-1/2" long, then the barrel is dang close to 5-3/4" long. Whodathunkit.

I've told the wife for 34 years that I am 12" long, guess I am getting accustomed to my own exaggerations.

Keep away guys, I want a new toy.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:46 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

They re-listed the brasser. If you want I can go inspect it, I'm in their a few times a week. They are great folks to deal with, very honest store, family run.
Old December 13, 2009, 05:36 PM   #7
okiefarmer

That would be great, madcrate. I made a $175 proxy bid on the steelframe, now it's been outbid. I have to wonder about shill bidding on some of these things. When you can get them on sale in different places with all the kit stuff included (although it ain't much) and then you see a claimed to hve never been fired bare pistol go for more money, they have to have shill bidders who are also bidding against folks that don't have a clue at times. They just want to win. I'll bid one more time on the steelframe, then let someone else think they got a good deal.

Edit to add. Hey madcrate, the brasser is in Michigan, just in case you thought it was in orygun.
Old December 13, 2009, 06:09 PM   #8
madcratebuilder

Your right, I thought they both were at NWA, my bad.

I see bids that make no sense at all some times. GB and evil bay both, people well pay over retail for something, then pay high shipping on top of that.