The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 24, 2016, 05:24 PM   #1
mattL46

Ruger Charger accuracy issues

Hello all, I've had my charger for awhile it's the black synthetic takedown with a Bushnell AR optic T-dot sight. I've finally had time to sit and shoot and see what it's all about. The accuracy (or lack there of) is very poor. 1-1/2" to 2" groups at about 35 yards. I've tried about 5 different kinds of ammunition. I've tried several resting scenarios including prone on the ground, bags, and even bipod on my shooting table and on the ground. I re-adjusted bbl lock up. Checked for loose screws (both action and forearm screw were loose) each change I made took me off target and required re-adjusted of sight to get back on. Which still yielded erratic and poor grouping. As soon as the weather gets better I'll put a quality rifle scope on it and try to rule out the sight. Just thought id ask for any advice for any steps after that? Thank you very much. Hopefully this is the right forum for this?
Old December 24, 2016, 05:57 PM   #2
peggysue

replace the barrel and trigger group.
Old December 24, 2016, 08:40 PM   #3
mattL46

Thank you for the reply Peggysue. Not doubting you, but have you done this with a takedown charger personally and gained better results?
Old December 24, 2016, 09:41 PM   #4
Mobuck

So, is this a "charger" or a 10-22? You mentioned "putting a rifle scope on it" which seems contradictory to the normal shooting a pistol.
Barring some obvious mechanical problem, the gun should be capable of better accuracy. I've shot 3" groups @ 100 YARDS using a 4" Ruger 22/45 with a 3x scope off sandbags.
Old December 24, 2016, 10:31 PM   #5
mattL46

It is a charger which is a 10/22 pistol. The rifle scope (which is actually quite common on a charger) would only be to verify that something isn't wrong with the sight that is currently on it.
Old December 24, 2016, 10:32 PM   #6
mattL46

Also, you are indeed correct, it should be capable of much better accuracy. Which is why I'm here.
Old December 24, 2016, 10:58 PM   #7
turtlehead

Have you tried any high quality ammo?
Old December 24, 2016, 11:32 PM   #8
mattL46

@turtlehead I sure did. Included in the 5 different lots was some match grade. Literally no difference between brands. I would think the take down would be slightly less accurate but not to this degree. I'm worried it's something else.
Old December 24, 2016, 11:34 PM   #9
mattL46

Don't get me wrong I don't expect tiny ragged holes, but I think it should do much better than 2-3" again, I need to try another sight.

Last edited by mattL46; December 24, 2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old December 24, 2016, 11:51 PM   #10
TMD

The optic is your problem. A 3moa dot doesn't make for precision target shooting.
Old December 25, 2016, 12:06 AM   #11
turtlehead

That's probably it.
Old December 25, 2016, 08:35 AM   #12
g.willikers

My vote is the dot scope is the culprit, too.
It seems everyone wants a dot scope on their cool looking shooting iron.
But dot scopes have their limitations.
They're great for for things like steel challenge and such, but you may find using an optic scope to be an improvement.
Assuming, of course, there's not another issue.
Are you going to report back with the results?
Old December 25, 2016, 10:24 AM   #13
mattL46

Thanks folks for the advice/input I've been suspecting the sight. I'll get that changed and report back! Merry Christmas!!!
Old December 25, 2016, 10:46 AM   #14
peggysue

Lots of after market stuff here.. easy to upgrade 10/22 pistols or rifles.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/
Old December 25, 2016, 10:49 AM   #15
mattL46

Well after Tmd's post I went back and looked through my paper work abd I indeed have a 3 moa optic. I don't know how I made that mistake when ordering but I surely made it. Lesson learned to pay more attention. Thanks again everyone who contributed. Hopefully a fresh higher quality optic will tighten things up a bit. Good eye TMD.
Old December 25, 2016, 01:10 PM   #16
TMD

I had a Charger years ago when they first came out. Tried red dots, pistol scopes and rifle scopes. Off a bench using the bi-pod I found that rifle scopes worked the best for me. YMMV
Old December 25, 2016, 01:29 PM   #17
mattL46

Thanks again TMD. If all other things are right the generous 3 moa would explain the size of these groups.
Old December 25, 2016, 04:45 PM   #18
weblance

The Ruger TAKEDOWN mechanism, and accuracy, are not something that go hand in hand. Adaptive Tactical makes a cantilever barrel for the Takedown Charger. After you have your optic sorted out, and find the Takedown Charger still sucks. take the advice of those of us who have cantilever barrels on Ruger Takedown products, and get a cantilever barrel system.

http://www.adaptivetactical.com/prod...r-takedown.php
Old December 25, 2016, 05:25 PM   #19
mattL46

Ha ha its been noted weblance.
Old December 27, 2016, 08:40 AM   #20
Mobuck

"It is a charger which is a 10/22 pistol. The rifle scope (which is actually quite common on a charger) would only be to verify that something isn't wrong with the sight that is currently on it."

Yes, I'm aware of what a "charger" is. The problem with the rifle scope w/o a stock to maintain eye alignment is parallax or eye to scope mis-alignment.
In addition, I have little confidence in the accuracy potential of a receiver mounted scope with a "take-down" connection barrel. Consider that the take-down feature is a compromise to facilitate transportation which in turn may compromise accuracy.
Since the charger is already a compromise(or an abomination, depending on personal opinions) , adding another compromise makes for some fairly "loose expectations" in my estimation.
Old December 29, 2016, 10:02 AM   #21
mattL46

@mobuck sorry for the misunderstanding. No need to worry anymore. I didn't feel like devoting time and what little resources I have to trying to accurize it. It sold for a S&W victory. Thank you for the insight.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:39 PM   #22
axismatt

Just a note for those who read this thread and want some resolution on the charger.

I bought one and put a JLK reflex on it. I have a good relationship with this company and I like the reasonably priced products, plus they are based here in the Phoenix area. The particular sight had a 4 minute dot. At 25 yards, once zero'd, I could poke holes in a bottle cap 10 for 10. It held that accuracy out to 50, then 100 yards on 2" and 4" targets respectively, as long as I obscured the target with the dot. I was quite impressed.

I then tried a friend's UTG red dot sight, which has a much finer dot... I believe it to be closer to a 2 minute dot, which is impressive on a $60 sight. Once zero'd at 25 yards, I could poke a ragged hole with 5 shot groups, the entire hole under .625". At 50 yards, I was consistently at a minute, and at 100 yards, I was inside 1.75".

This was before cleaning any of the factory grease out of it. Once I stripped and properly cleaned it, then used light oil where needed, I found it to be consistently on target. As we almost playfully trained on targets out in the desert like shotgun husks and bits of clay pigeon, it became effortless to place shots with confidence... anything out to about 60 yards, off hand, was going to be struck.

I only used CCI mini mag 1240fps. I am certain bulk ammo would open up, and match ammo would tighten up. I am very impressed with the performance of this little thing, which I bought on a whim. I imagine this would be a fun and effective critter gun if folks would give it a chance. The UTG Bipod is well made and very stable.

To answer the OP's question, I would look at two things. First, on the take down models, the fit of the take down mechanism can be adjusted with the barrel nut, and this can be an issue. Second, a decent optic can make a difference... it certainly did for me. I know he's since sold his, but for others out there... well, I can tell you that the charger is darn fun. Also, it mounted easily to my quad and hunting critters in the desert is a whole new game.

Have fun!
Old May 8, 2017, 11:21 PM   #23
weblance

So axismatt... is your Charger a TAKEDOWN? If it isnt, then your post doesn't really help much. No one doubts the accuracy of the non-takedown Charger, the issue with the accuracy is with the TAKEDOWN 10/22, and TAKEDOWN Charger.

Some people will tell you their TAKEDOWN whatever is just fine... and maybe it is. But there are just as many that aren't fine. They don't go back to perfect zero when dis/reassembled, and they produce "C" shaped groups from shot to shot, no matter how you adjust the mechanism, cycle the bolt, or hold the forearm "just right". Ruger took the easy way out with the Takedown. They simply decided that a receiver optic mount would be ok, when in fact, its not. Sure if you just want a plinker for ventilating tin cans, then the Takedown is for you, but if you actually want to hit what you are aiming at, then you will be disappointed.

Ruger should have drilled and tapped the barrel, then the aftermarket could make the mount, just like Browning did with the SA-22.