The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 5, 2006, 12:20 AM   #1
croc4

max AA#5 load

I was wondering what is the max safe load for 9mm 115gr in a D95, I tried a few hand loads this weekend at the range and it seemed to prefer the hotter loads(factory "lawman" from speer). My lee manual lists 7.0 as the max for AA#5 with 115gr, but I loaded up some 7.2 just the same, is there any problem with this?, the manual on the D95 says is will do +P so it should be ok......, I just wanted a second opinion
thanks

Croc4
Old July 5, 2006, 07:22 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

not being smarmy, but

Have you considered investigating what Accurate Arms lists?
7.0g (older data showed 6.9g).

Hornady shows 6.6g.

Speer shows 6.8 (older data showed 6.9g).

Sierra shows 6.7g.

Your gun.
Old July 5, 2006, 11:40 AM   #3
croc4

Thanks, I was maybe a little turse in my question and reading it sounded like I blindly loaded up a lot at 7.2gr. I loaded 50 rounds at 6.9, 50 at 7.0 and a few at 7.2, since I am not sure how far to go safely.

As I mentioned I shot 10 or so rounds of factory (non +P) speer "lawman" and they were hot!, the primers showed some signs of cupping and the recoil was noticiably more, I'm not sure I want to shoot the rest of the box and these are standard rounds, maybe they were mis-labled and should have been +P loads....... On the same trip I shot some handloads of AA#5 6.8, and 6.9 and they were mild in comparison, and they grouped ok, not great (2.5" to 3" at 15 yrds) so in search of the best load, I loaded up some 7.0gr.
Old July 5, 2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Ausserordeutlich

If you were reloading for a Glock, I'd say that you wouldn't have any problems with 7.2gr. of AA#5 with 115gr. bullets; however, can't speak for other pistol brands on that subject. I've fired a lot of rounds loaded that hot and a little hotter, using AA#5 through my G17.
Old July 5, 2006, 12:13 PM   #5
918v

You should have a dial caliper. Take a factory loaded fired case and measure the expansion ring by centering the case lengthwise along the caliper jaws. It should be .390" to .391". Now take your hanloaded fired case and measure it. If it is .392" and larger, reduce the load. +P+ measures .394" in my guns. Factory loads measure .390" or less. This method works only on the 9mm due to the tapered case and the geometry of the chamber.
Old July 11, 2006, 05:00 PM   #6
OneInTheChamber

On average, hot loads will group worse then light loads. Light loads are easier on you and you'll shoot faster and better with less recoil.

It's your hands, your gun, and your life. I'd back it down a little if I were you.

If you want chest-thumping-manly recoil; get a big-bore revolver.
Old July 12, 2006, 01:37 PM   #7
croc4

follow up

I made it to the range this past sunday, and tried three different loads, 6.8, 7.0 and 7.2gr of AA#5, with 115gr JHP from win. They all performed well, the 7.2's were still milder then the speer factory ammo I mentioned previously, still have not found a visual reason after going over them, they look and measure within spec, I'll just place them in a dark corner for later.

Anyway, of the three loads 6.8gr had a "slightly" tighter grouping, not by a huge amount, but since its less powder and performed well, thats what I will be going with.

Thanks for all the replies.

Croc4