The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 15, 2022, 04:27 PM   #1
395skier

Value of 8mm Mauser

Hello. I recently inherited an 8mm Mauser. It was manufactured by Zastava Arms. Preduzece 44. Mod 98. Serial number 5XXX. Manufactured in Yugoslavia sometime between 1946 and 1950. My dad had planned on converting it to a .458 magnum but never got around to it. I included pics of the most worn gun parts but the gun is fully functioning and clean internally. Any thoughts on what the gun may be worth. My father believed the value was in finding someone who would convert it, versus shoot it as an 8mm. Welcome thoughts or opinions on value. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2055.jpg (933.7 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2054.jpg (957.3 KB, 129 views)
Old June 15, 2022, 05:47 PM   #2
MC 1911

No collector value really. Hard to tell from the pics but looks like stock has been checkered or sporterized and crest has been scrubbed. As a shooter 8mm isn't bad. Since it was your fathers I couldn't / wouldn't put a price on it.

Most Yugo Mausers in original condition are running in the neighborhood of 400- 650 now. More & better pics would help.
Old June 15, 2022, 08:15 PM   #3
GeauxTide

I agree with MC. The key is to find a Smith who can put another barrel and safety on it. ER Shaw makes reliable barrels that shoot cloverleaves. I have one in 243, 6.5-06, 280, and 30-06.
Old June 16, 2022, 09:15 AM   #4
Jim Watson

The key is learning to love 8mm. European loads are close to .30-06.
Major conversions on army surplus is yacht country, expensive for what you get.
Old June 16, 2022, 09:57 AM   #5
ligonierbill

You should post a picture of the whole gun. As has been stated, the checkered stock suggests it has been "sporterized". That can mean anything from butchered to pretty good. Are the sights original? Safety? Is it drilled and tapped? I've had some fun buying partly or poorly done Mauser projects, changed safeties, mounted scopes, restocked, and in 2 cases rebarreled. A couple others went to Shaw, and yes, they do a good job. The value of a modified Mauser, unless it's a true custom gun, is pretty low. I'm proud of mine, but I'm under no illusions regarding their sale value. But they're lots of fun, inherently great rifles.

If you don't want to DIY, and it sounds like not, Shaw is a good option. In addition to barrels, they will do triggers, safeties, etc, and they do a killer blue job. Google them and check their website. Installed barrel and blueing is over $500, and other mods add to that. And forget about the 458. Watch the cartridge length if you don't want to modify the bottom metal. Hey, I had Shaw put a new 8x57 barrel on one. A reloader's caliber today, but still a fine one. Good luck with this.
Old June 16, 2022, 03:42 PM   #6
44caliberkid

I have a German 98 that was sporterized with the original 8mm barrel. Whoever did the conversion did an excellent job, very nice rifle. I load a 180 grain bullet at about 2650 fps and it’s one of the best shooting rifles I own. I only paid $200 for it, have it at the LGS for $400 on consignment, with no takers, at least in the last month.
I’ve been liquidating my mil surp collection lately. Had a Czech and Yugo Mauser’s at the shop, Czech sold within days, the Yugo is still sittin’.
Old June 16, 2022, 04:24 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
And forget about the 458. Watch the cartridge length if you don't want to modify the bottom metal.
The loaded length of the .458 is .09" longer than the 8mm Mauser. Mag length is usually NOT a problem.

I have an Argentine 1909 converted to .458. It's fine.

somewhere back in the 80s the market value of sporterized (to any degree) milsurps began falling and today its way low, often much lower than the cost of having the work done decades ago. today's buyers want either completely military issue condition, or they want a commercial sporter most often in stainless and synthetic.

IF you're looking to turn it into cash, I think you'd be lucky to get $500 and might not find any takers for over $300 these days. Only those of us who can appreciate the work and the thoughts and craftsmanship that went into sporterizing, to different levels might be interested.

You've got a Yugo Mauser 98, (not the Yugo M48 which is a mauser but the action is slightly shorter than the model 98) in decent shape, but not GI issue and there just isn't any serious market interest for those. And, today, the cost of having a competent gunsmith significantly improve it will buy you a commercial sporter, maybe even a couple of them.

You could get it drilled and tapped and a scope safety installed for a (mostly) reasonable price, but the extra work needed to turn it into a magnum caliber would be much more, and more than the rifle will bring if you sold it.

Its not a bad rifle, its just not what most people want these days.
Old June 16, 2022, 06:24 PM   #8
44caliberkid

The above by 44AMP is practical, well reasoned advice.
Old June 17, 2022, 01:59 PM   #9
395skier

Thank you - value of 8mm Yogu Mauser

Thank you for the replies and comments. There were a few calls for additional pictures, which I'm including here. I did think about keeping this as 8mm but I have numerous other rifles covering a very full range of calibers already. I know my dad had struggled with whether it was worth it to convert it. Thanks again for your thoughtful comments. I appreciate the learning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2060.jpg (436.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2062.jpg (375.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2064.jpg (419.5 KB, 59 views)
Old June 18, 2022, 01:36 PM   #10
Paul B.

The last rifle I had drilled and tapper for a scope was a Husqvarna 640. Action was most likely an FN Mauser made for Husqvarna. Very nice action BTW.

I do have a Danzig Mauser that someone had P.O. Ackley rebarrel. At least the barrel has his stamp on it. I took it to gunsmith to have the bolt altered to fit under a scope. His was a several years ago. The quote was from $100 to 150 depending on difficulty. The big sost in squaring the gun away was making the receiver so a scope could be mounted. Eight screw holes in the receiver ring, eight more in the rear of the receiver plus a huge hole in the center of the back ring of the receiver. Estimated price of the fix? From $700 on the low end to as high as $1,500 at the top end. Needless to say the work has never been done. Too bad, as the way the rifle sits now, it's a lightweight .270 Win. that I'd bet weighs no more than 6.5 pounds, if that much. Put the right weight scope and mount on that rifle and I'd bet it would be no more that 7 to 7.5 pounds. The barrel is so slim it looks like a soda straw. The rifle looks exactly like a pre-war Oberndorf sporter.

I apologize but I have no way to show pictures
Paul B.
Old June 18, 2022, 02:47 PM   #11
eastbank

i have five swedish 640,s, one a very nice custom rifle and the other four are in the standard 8mm(8x57). they do indeed have commersial 98 FN actions, the most i paid was 450.00 for the custom rifle at public auction. they are one of the best 98 style rifles out there for the price.
Old June 21, 2022, 03:19 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Eight screw holes in the receiver ring, eight more in the rear of the receiver plus a huge hole in the center of the back ring of the receiver.
That seems like an awful lot of holes!! I've had scoped Mausers with only 4 holes. If a gunsmith told me he needed to put 8 holes in the receiver ring and 8 more in the rear to mount a scope, I'd be talking to another gunsmith..

makes me wonder what kind of mount even requires that many holes....was it going to be done to be able to use either top or side mounts?

And his price? damn!
Old June 22, 2022, 05:18 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
That seems like an awful lot of holes!! I've had scoped Mausers with only 4 holes. If a gunsmith told me he needed to put 8 holes in the receiver ring and 8 more in the rear to mount a scope, I'd be talking to another gunsmith..

makes me wonder what kind of mount even requires that many holes....was it going to be done to be able to use either top or side mounts?

And his price? damn!
I’d guess the reason for all the holes is to allow for mounting the rings in a few different locations to accommodate different scopes, similar to what a pic rail does.
Old June 22, 2022, 01:02 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I’d guess the reason for all the holes is to allow for mounting the rings in a few different locations to accommodate different scopes, similar to what a pic rail does.
I understand that reasoning, but it seems to me that bases that allow multiple positions for the rings could be attached with a LOT fewer holes.

Quote:
Eight screw holes in the receiver ring, eight more in the rear of the receiver plus a huge hole in the center of the back ring of the receiver.
WHO would NEED that to mount a scope on a Mauser?? Plus the thought that with that many holes what might that do to the funtional strength of the action?

I think there's a reason Mauser made their rifles out of steel, and not Swiss Cheese....
Old June 22, 2022, 01:21 PM   #15
Jim Watson

Got pictures?
Old June 22, 2022, 01:28 PM   #16
Road_Clam

I have the same Yugo Mod 98 and its in excellent shape 99% matching numbers (incorrect firing pin). I paid $375 back in 2014. Its a fun nostalgic shooter. No collector value, i buy weekly shooters not gun safe queens. Its probably worth $450ish.
Old June 22, 2022, 11:34 PM   #17
jaysouth

A new Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 will cost you less than a barrel and other work on that Yugo. The Vanguard will be 1 MOA out of the box with a weather proof stock and finish.

Tags
8mm mauser , mod 98 , preduzece 44