The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Badaboom

.243 berger 105gr VLD loads anybody?

Anybody loaded the Berger 105 VLD in the .243 or have some reference to data on this load? Appreciate it.
Old August 15, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
six 4 sure

I don't have any loads, but if you email Berger they will probably send you some suggested loads. I couldn't find anything for their 30gr .223's. I emailed them and received a response (with suggested loads) within a couple days.

Include twist rate and barrel length in your email.
Old August 18, 2007, 10:11 AM   #3
T-Mac

Go to the Berger web site and see what they rcommend for "twist" on the 105 VLDs. Then compare to your gun's twist rate... It may help with your decision.

I have a different cartridge than you but...just for example:
I shoot the 95 VLDs in my 6MM Rem. I have really excellent results in the accuracy department with my gun shooting 95s. The recommended twist rate for 95 VLDs looked like they'd match up to my gun pretty well.
They do.

(Rem - 700 VLS)
Old August 18, 2007, 05:29 PM   #4
amamnn

If you have not already e-mailed Berger, you might want to ask about their seating recommendations for your cartridge and chamber. The VLDs require some experimentation to find the "sweet spot" in that regard. Some of us never do find it. I went through 2 boxes of 6mm (.243") in my 6mmppc and never found any improvement. I had a bit better luck in my .30BR, but I could never get the grouping to be as consistent as I needed over the course of a match. Some other folks here locally have had the same experience and some have had definite improvements in their aggs. Keep in mind that the real advantage claimed for these bullets is going to be seen when shooting at distances beyond 300 yards or so, where the deceleration of the bullet and wind deflection have greater effect on accuracy.