The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 26, 2018, 12:15 PM   #1
grinner

Now I understand the 1911 love!

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, but not new to shooting. I grew up on revolvers, so have tended toward those over the years. My brother-in-law convinced me the SIG p226 in 9mm was THE gun to own a couple of years ago, so I bought it as my first semi-auto. I liked it, but not as much as my revolvers, so I eventually traded it for another revolver.

I had never shot a 1911, but have read countless glowing reviews of how well they shoot, how it's the best trigger, etc. I joined a new shooting range last month and a free firearm rental comes with each membership. I decided to finally try a 1911. They had one to rent, a Springfield mil-spec. After buying a box of .45 ammo, I took it into the range, loaded it, chambered a round, aimed and pulled the trigger.

Nothing. Not a good first impression. Inspecting the gun, I noticed it was out of battery. A quick tap to the back worked, and the first shot at 21' was dead center.

Alright. That's more like it. I could start to see why people like these. Pull the trigger again. Nothing.

Again, not in battery. Dammit. Tap again, then bang. Second shot right next to the first.

Long story short, I had to tap the slide into battery almost every time, but each shot was within a nice fist sized circle at the center of the target, even when I moved it out to 45'. I was dutifully impressed with the accuracy, although not the reliability.

When I returned it to the desk, I commented on the problems. The kid behind the desk said, "Maybe it needs a cleaning. We only do that once a year, or if someone complains."

No wonder I had problems.

Still, I was impressed enough that I decided to look over the options and see if they had any deals that would persuade me to buy another gun. They did -- a base SIG 1911 XO for $799. Having not had a reliability problems with my 226 at all, I bought it.

After the required 3-day wait, I picked it up and took it home to clean out the standard SIG packing grease and lube it up. I have to admit, I shot the spring across the room several times before I got it back in and locked under the bushing properly. Taking down a 226 is a LOT easier.

Considering the previous experience with the rented 1911, I was a little surprised when the first shot went off. Then the next, and the next. Went through two boxes without a hiccup, and shredded the center of two targets.

I've drunk the Kool-aid. I still love my revolvers, but I may love this 1911 a little more.
Old July 26, 2018, 12:27 PM   #2
BBarn

I typically shoot revolvers more that autos, especially single action revolvers. Over the years I've owned many different autos but prefer the 1911. Glad you like yours.
Old July 26, 2018, 01:08 PM   #3
RickB

Too bad you had to get past a P226 on your way to auto pistol nirvana.
I wouldn't recommend a DA/SA pistol except as an act of sadism.
Old July 26, 2018, 03:15 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Welcome to the borg. You have been assimilated.

Field stripping the 1911 will become second nature after about the third time.
Old July 26, 2018, 03:47 PM   #5
Targa

Take care not to put an idiot mark on it when installing the slide stop. Go ahead, ask me how I know..
Old July 26, 2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Nathan

Welcome to the dark side!
Old July 26, 2018, 04:25 PM   #7
LaughingNowHaHa

It failed to go into battery repeatedly because the SA Milspec is garbage, could've been clean as a whistle would've done the same thing.
Old July 26, 2018, 04:32 PM   #8
jr24

You made a big mistake.

Now you will end up with about six more 1911s before you know it
Old July 26, 2018, 04:57 PM   #9
Dufus

Bought my 1st in 1973 used. It was still expensive. My 1st new one came to me in 1976. Two more followed those 2.

They are all Colt Series 70. All are still as original as I got them.

All accurate and all have excellent triggers. No regrets at all.

I have a government issue circa WWII from a deceased cousin that fought in that war.
Old July 26, 2018, 05:03 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
A great example of "to each his own."

I've shot, enjoyed, and owned (and still own) a number of 1911s and I've found no factory 1911 to shoot any better for me than a good West German-made P226.

It's all about gaining and establishing proficiency.
Old July 26, 2018, 05:37 PM   #11
grinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I actually didn’t mind the DA/SA aspect that much, and after a year could shoot it pretty well. Just not as good as my revolvers. I also didn’t like how thick the grip was. But everyone likes what they like.
Old July 26, 2018, 05:39 PM   #12
grinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
A great example of "to each his own."

I've shot, enjoyed, and owned (and still own) a number of 1911s and I've found no factory 1911 to shoot any better for me than a good West German-made P226.

It's all about gaining and establishing proficiency.
Mine was made in America. Maybe I should try an older one.
Old July 26, 2018, 05:40 PM   #13
grinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
You made a big mistake.

Now you will end up with about six more 1911s before you know it
Possibly. I’m already thinking about getting one in 9 mm.
Old July 26, 2018, 06:33 PM   #14
Sharkbite

Quote:
Possibly. I’m already thinking about getting one in 9 mm.
And one in 22lr and one in 10mm and....and...and
Old July 26, 2018, 06:45 PM   #15
tallball

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

You've let the camel's nose into the tent now.

I really enjoyed my first 1911. That must be why I have so many of them now.
Old July 26, 2018, 08:58 PM   #16
exit30

I was shooting a Bersa Pro Sub Compact and honestly was not enjoying it. I told one of the instructors at my range that I needed a lesson, he said I didn't and watched me shoot. The gun just wasn't right for me, all of my technique was fine. I tried a rental Springfield 1911, and good God almighty, I was putting pretty much everything center mass. I immediately ordered a full size 9mm 1911 and have never looked back. My shooting has improved 100%.

Last edited by exit30; July 28, 2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old July 26, 2018, 10:02 PM   #17
Martowski

1911 is my favorite platform. You want something close to shooting nirvana? Pick up a Dan Wesson and blast away, or a Les Baer PII.
Old July 27, 2018, 02:22 PM   #18
hagar

I have never liked 1911's, and for good reason. Our hunting club had a yearly shoot, and I never saw any other pistol jam like 1911's. It was almost comical seeing people struggling with them. My varmint hunting buddy was a 1911 fan, and one day out in the desert we set up a little pistol shooting competition, my Firestar against his 1911. I let him go first, he loaded a mag, and when he pulled the trigger, it went full auto.. Look on his face was priceless.. I told him "I rest my case".

But I just bought my first, but only because it was a lnib 10mm Delta Elite I got at a good price. Have not shot it yet.
Old July 27, 2018, 02:31 PM   #19
jr24

Quote:
I have never liked 1911's, and for good reason. Our hunting club had a yearly shoot, and I never saw any other pistol jam like 1911's. It was almost comical seeing people struggling with them. My varmint hunting buddy was a 1911 fan, and one day out in the desert we set up a little pistol shooting competition, my Firestar against his 1911. I let him go first, he loaded a mag, and when he pulled the trigger, it went full auto.. Look on his face was priceless.. I told him "I rest my case".

But I just bought my first, but only because it was a lnib 10mm Delta Elite I got at a good price. Have not shot it yet.
Hope you like the Colt, by RIA 10mm 1911 is a fantastically accurate platform for 10mm, even being a relatively cheap RIA.

I'm currently down to only 6 1911s and apart from my problem child Kimber Ultra carry (it needs me to load short rounds < 1.22", runs factory hollow points like HST perfect) I actually still have more stoppages with my Glocks than I do with my 1911s. More rounds on the 1911s as a group.

Mine run great.
Old July 27, 2018, 05:37 PM   #20
RickB

Quote:
I have never liked 1911's, and for good reason. Our hunting club had a yearly shoot, and I never saw any other pistol jam like 1911's.
I keep hearing that, but in 20+ years of shooting USPSA, IDPA, and now, Action Shooting International competitions (along with a smattering of 3-gun and bowling pins), over 600 matches and counting, I've never seen any one brand or model of gun that was clearly more, or less, reliable than any other.
Good quality guns with good ammo all run "good".

If a 1911 is going to fail, it's going to be extraction and/or ejection.
For a brand that suffers a lot of feed failures . . . well, if you get your info from full-page gun advertisements, you wouldn't believe me.
Old July 27, 2018, 05:45 PM   #21
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Welcome to the dark side!
Really, the DARK SIDE???

That's them fellows that like the G pistol!
Old July 27, 2018, 06:53 PM   #22
exit30

I've read about jamming before, but after having mine for 3 months and a couple thousand rounds, I haven't had a single jam. However, my friend shoots a Glock 17, and she is having multiple jam issues. I pamper my 1911 with at least one cleaning each week, and I am sure others clean theirs even more often.
Old July 27, 2018, 06:57 PM   #23
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingNowHaHa View Post
It failed to go into battery repeatedly because the SA Milspec is garbage, could've been clean as a whistle would've done the same thing.
On the contrary.

Have a new production Springfield "Mil-spec" and it is outstanding.

Fit and finish is as good or better than Sig or FN.

Absolutely zero (0.0) slop/rattle/wiggle.

Slid action is smooth and the trigger breaks like a 4 lb. icicle.

Shoots everything I feed it and puts it into sub 3" groups at 25 yards.

Swapped in a $10 Wolff 18.5# recoil spring (OEM is 16#) because I only shoot 230 gr.

Came with:
- Forged steel frame and slide.
- Lowered/flared ejection port.
- Match grade stainless Bbl. and bushing.
- cocobolo wood grips.

$488 plus shipping & Tyranny.

Red

Last edited by Red Devil; July 28, 2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old July 27, 2018, 08:01 PM   #24
PushPuller

Iv always been a big fan of guns in general and the 1911 didn't stand out to me much, until I got my first 1911. Now that iv got a few bonding years with mine, and have a large amount of experience with other 1911s id have to say they are a system I will never stray away from. In my opinion every handgun owner should have at least one 1911 in their collection!

Iv also encountered very minimal issues with 1911s. Its when people start tinkering is when problems occur.
Old July 27, 2018, 08:33 PM   #25
rc

Some people say the 45 auto kicks like a mule, is hard to control, is unreliable.... yeh whatever. A cleaned and lubed 1911 will run extremely reliably unless there is a mechanical issue. There are newer and ever so slightly more reliable designs but not by much. A great 1911 is a thing of beauty that feels great in the hand and the 5 inch guns are very smooth shooting weapons that are easy to control with military ball equivalent rounds. Browning got this one right! I personally prefer the beavertail grip safeties without the bump such as Kimber puts on their guns. Some say Kimbers are not reliable. I say it all depends on how you are breaking them in. If you are taking them to a CCW course out of the box and expect them to run like a top...expect a few hiccups. rc

Tags
1911 , sig