The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 16, 2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Proudamerican

Stack on cabinet mods

Just got a cheap little stack on 8 gun cabinet. What have you guys done to your cabinets or safes? Let's see some pictures, especially if it's a stack on 8 gun. Looking to do some modifications just want some ideas. Thanks guys.
Old September 16, 2015, 04:21 PM   #2
g.willikers

Have to ask:
Are you interested in learning how to better fortify yours?
Or how to better get into someone else's?

Oh, right, sorry.
You probably want to know how to make it more useful and hold more stuff.
First thing is to make it difficult to cart away.
Screw it down good to the floor and wall.
Check to see if the part that actually locks the door closed goes far enough behind the door opening to prevent being jimmied with a crowbar.

Maybe make some shelves that can take up the space between the door openings and the side walls for the small stuff.
Putting a giant T-Rex jack-in-the-box inside could be useful.
Hope this helps some.

Last edited by g.willikers; September 16, 2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old September 16, 2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Doyle

I added pegboard to the door. Holds several handguns.

I also found that if you are going to fill it up to where things are "a little tight", make sure that all your long-gun slings are on QD swivels. Remove the slings and hang them from a coat hanger outside of the cabinet. They get in the way.
Old September 16, 2015, 05:23 PM   #4
JWT

I drilled holes through the cabinet and bolted shelf track uprights (two on each side) to the inside of a cabinet. Then cut 3/4" plywood shelves and put them in the cabinet using shelf clips in the track uprights. I now store all my ammo in the cabinet. Keeps it under lock and well organized.
Old September 16, 2015, 10:00 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Drilled holes in concrete under it. Filled with some sort of super construction adhesive. Put a bolt through the largest washer I could find(I think 2" diameter). Inserted bolt through holes in bottom of safe into adhesive in concrete.

Better than 500 pounds.
One with shelves sure would be nice to hold ammunition and other accessories.
Old September 17, 2015, 05:19 AM   #6
gunnny12

When I had mine going ,I bolted 3 together, from the inside figured would take a gorilla to move that much weight plus the guns.

Jeff
Old September 17, 2015, 07:21 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I could move that by myself. It might destroy your door trim, scratch the heck out of any floors, and end up through the drywall once or twice, but out the door it goes. Few roller make easy work of it.

Of course, when talking stack on cabinets a crowbar will pry he door in just a few minutes. I know, I lost the key to my first and it went about as fast as the youtube videos show. Why mine is limited to cheap non-tactical long guns and will probably hold ammo and such shortly.

JWT, how does it handle the weight? seems like boxes of ammo might exceed what normal shelf track can handle. Might make for a really good mod in my case though.
Old September 17, 2015, 09:22 AM   #8
g.willikers

Actually, the Stack on holds up pretty well to an attack, especially since most burglars aren't even going to work nearly as hard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tTvW83SCLQ
Old September 17, 2015, 01:23 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Op said "cabinet" from which I assumed he meant one of their security cabinets, not one of their safes.

One of the cabinets can be pried open with a large screwdriver.

At $100 a piece, they are great for a first storage solution when one only owns a few less expensive guns and as a collection matures they easily convert to good storage to accessories and the like. I am happy with mine for holding my muzzle loader, blackpowder shotgun, a milsurp bolt gun or two with ammunition that costs nearly as much as the gun, and a couple similar items.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; September 17, 2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old September 18, 2015, 03:48 PM   #10
g.willikers

Here's a video on breaking into one of their cabinets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_NZjRSdpcc

Now it's easy to see why it's important that the part that actually locks the door closed goes far enough behind the door opening to prevent being jimmied with a crowbar.
Old September 20, 2015, 10:58 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Imagine the safe is securely installed in a corner with a wall to the left if you are looking at the safe head-on. Doesn't make it impossible, but makes it more difficult.
Old September 29, 2015, 07:24 PM   #12
islandkent

I added led lights on both sides of the doors. I drilled a hole in the bottom corner to run a plug from a power bar through. I plug the lights into that. I also added a golden rod to keep the humidity down also plugged into the power bar. I lined the interior with a dark grey underlay material. I also lined the inside edge of the door frame with that sticky foam tape to keep from giving my guns the dreaded "safe kisses". Did the door edge to try and keep the moisture out. Added the door kit from Stack-on also. The door kit come with sticky tape to tape it to the door. I never thought that would hold the weight so I bought those magnet from wally world and used those also to attach these pouches to the door. Never moved in 5 years, plus I hang things like keys, knives and a holster from the hooks that come on the magnets.

Sorry man no pictures but you get the point.

After seeing that video I should add some pad locks and reinforced clasps. lol

But you know what they say... a safe will only keep out a honest thief.

Last edited by islandkent; September 29, 2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old September 29, 2015, 07:45 PM   #13
skizzums

add-ons for stack-on safe....YES. I went there. I have a pretty humid basement, although being totally finished, it is paired with the garage which has cat doors and it's just humid. so I caulked al the lines inside, closed off the holes and weather-stripped the door. I have almost 2 full ponds of silica that I have been collecting from my work and my wife's. the weather-stripping makes it very hard to open and close, I have to use one hand to put pressure on top, and my foot to put pressure on bottom and push with my key to put pressure in the middle....PITA!!! but I hate rusty guns, so, I'll grin and bear it.

people posting the difficulty of breaking into a stack-on.....please, c'mon, do you really think any of us who own one did it for security? it's obviously a safety thing, of course it can be pried open in about half a second, I am pretty sure our school lockers where stronger than a stack-on safe, we're not idiots.

then again.................some of the posts may disprove my logic, let us hope not

when you have a gun collection like mine that may be worth a grand total of $4000, I am not ready to invest half the value of my "estate" into a vault. one day....just not feasible at the moment. i'd be more upset if my re-loading cabinet got robbed than my gun "safe". I have a kid who I trust 100%, he has friends that I do not trust 100%, so I like to have a cheap, secure place to lock up my rifles. even though it's crappy and easy to break into, I truly trust it's at least 7 year old proof.

Last edited by skizzums; September 29, 2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old September 29, 2015, 10:48 PM   #14
skizzums

I forgot to add, thiugh security it is not, I do have 2 spam cans full of lead ingots on one side and a 12" tall box full of ingots o the other side. it started because my AR pistols, hi-point carbine and lever weren't tall enough to hit the barrel stand thingy's. so I added the spam cans to give them more height. Then as I was think how easily someone could slip into my basement and probably carry the whole safe out to his car without even making a noise, I then decided to add lead ingots. so, yes they can still pr it open in just a second if no-one s home, padlock'd or not, but for one crack-head to simply try to just pick it up and throw in the pick-up isn't going to happen. And no robbery is going to be able to take place in silence with a couple guys tip-toeing it outta there. it has 320# of lead ingot, plus the guns and the safe itself, prob another 40-50 pounds of ammunition in old powder containers stacked up between the guns.....you know, that "end of the world" ammo stash, in sealed bottles wih desiccant......gotta have that. so at least if I am home, it's going to be super noisy getting the safe outta there, and it's going to require 2-3 guys. If I am not home, a simple prybar will do the trick I am sure.

personally I hate that my safe is even in the basement, I would feel much better with it in my bedroom. if someone took a look at my house for a robbery, the first thing they would notice is my basement window is un-seeable by any of my neighbors, and thy would see that safe immediately upon entry. My wife let's me get away with pretty much ANYTHING I want to, but a safe in our bedroom, well..... she wouldn't say no, but I know it'd make her unhappy even if she didn't declare it. I keep saying I am going to get to work on some "gun shelves" in the near future, but it always gets put on the back burner. I figure if I had some false storage furniture AND the crappy safe, after breaking into the safe and getting my cheapest guns, they would assume that is all I had and my prized pieces would be safe somewhere else in the house in some hidden shelves, false bottomed drawers or whatever I can come up with. I always liked the idea of the hinged kick panels on the stairs, that's a great hiding spot and easy to do.