The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 22, 2015, 12:03 PM   #1
lwestatbus

How to Wear a Paddle Holster?

I've got a question which I've never considered until I purchased a Galco paddle holster for my 4" Kimber Pro Carry (1911 style).

Does the paddle go inside the pants or outside the pants between the belt and the pants?

I purchased this holster because rules at my workplace require that I remove my firearm on arrival and I wanted a solution that wouldn't have me getting partially undressed in the parking lot when I arrive and leave. I'd assumed that the paddle went inside the pants but it turns out to be a massive pain in the rear to both put on and definitely to remove. I've quit trying to use it on my suit pants as I worry about tearing them. But it just seems that this difficulty is unreasonable and maybe the paddle was designed to go between the belt and outside the pants. The difficulty is reduced tremendously but, the shape of the paddle seems better suited for inside the pants.
Old February 22, 2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I wear paddle holsters over belt and pants waistband. I put security of holster position above ease of removal.
But I have seen a lot of people with them just hooked over the belt.

There are also holsters with snap belt loops for quick disconnect.
Old February 22, 2015, 01:33 PM   #3
rickyrick

Yes, they are intended to be difficult to remove...
Old February 22, 2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Nathan

They are supposed to go inside the pants. I find there is normally something you can do to release the holster by slipping a finger FR & RR of the paddle. Then it pulls off easily.

For the kind of carry you are talking about, I find IWB with snap loops or an IWB like the CompTac MTAC are best.
Old February 22, 2015, 02:23 PM   #5
boondocker385

Yes inside the pants. The Gallo and safari lands I have stay in place well and are easy to take off
Old February 22, 2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
There are also holsters with snap belt loops for quick disconnect.
I've found this to be the best solution for the problem of having to be able to easily remove and re-attach a holster without undoing one's belt. I especially like the Milt Sparks Axiom for a 1911 type pistol.

"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old February 23, 2015, 10:27 AM   #7
lwestatbus

Update

I discovered the trick to getting the paddle holster on and off easily. Not very intuitive. I could see that lifting the paddle away from the holster body was the key but could not make it work until I stumbled on the technique of teaching behind my body with my left hand. I can position the holster with my right hand and it is pretty easy for my left hand to spread the paddle from the holster for either putting on or taking off.

Thanks for all of the replies.

BTW: I have a good quality IWB holster with a snap belt loop. However my waistbands are not keeping up with my waistline and I was trying to find a solution that didn't require scrapping most of my trousers..
Old February 23, 2015, 10:31 AM   #8
JimDandy

I suppose it depends on the design. The multiple mount Serpa thing I got from Blackhawk came with a paddle that had hooks for your belt, so it went between the belt and pants.
Old February 23, 2015, 06:31 PM   #9
Snyper

If you work during the day, where you leave home and go straight to work, why even wear the holster just for the drive?

Don't put it on until you leave work
Old February 23, 2015, 08:25 PM   #10
lwestatbus

Reply to Snyper

Snyper,

I've experimented with this but we live in a condominium and I pass through multiple public areas to get to my car and the most convenient way to transport the handgun is in its normal carry configuration. It does come off my belt onto the seat beside me, covered by a towel, for the drive but I am still making this transition in a public, though not crowded area.

I regularly make stops on the way home from work and again, any transition to carrying on my person takes place in a public parking lot.
Old February 24, 2015, 11:26 AM   #11
Dennis6474

I have used a paddle for many years for the same reason. Having to remove the holster several times during a day. I wear it behind the pants and belt. I found that using the left hand behind the back allows me to rotate the holster clockwise to unhook the paddle.

Depending on the holster it may be possible to reduce the size of the hooks. I have several that work fine but have seen some that came off too easy and some that I had to drop my pants and use a crowbar to remove.

Most of all you want the holster to stay put when in a panic you yank your gun out.
Old February 24, 2015, 01:22 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

Paddle stays behind the belt & pants - basically, the paddle part sits next to your skives. Paddle holsters vary from mfr to mfr. Some are fairly easy to go on and off, whereas others need major manipulation to be removed which IMO completely defeats the purpose.

I have used many different brands of paddles and although hard to believe, the Fobus line of paddles are probably the best. The tension screw sets the right amount of friction to hold the gun in place. The hooks are sufficient to keep the holster on the belt during draw as long as it is hooked to the bottom of your belt (through your pants).
Old February 24, 2015, 05:27 PM   #13
revoconcepts

You could try using an OWB holster with Speed Clips. This is what I use when I know I may be stopping somewhere that I need to remove my gun. Easy on and off without a paddle shoved in your pants and holds very securely on your belt