The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2021, 09:40 PM   #26
wild cat mccane

ahhhh. Makes sense! The extra slide width isn't worth it to me without red dot. Got it. Thank you!
Old February 24, 2021, 01:48 AM   #27
Urbanrecon

All I want to know is did Walther get permission from Ruger to copy the looks of Ruger's SR22 pistol?
Old February 24, 2021, 10:08 AM   #28
wild cat mccane

The SR22 is a copy of the Walther P-22 which came out 10 years before the SR22...

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...-walther-p22-q
Old February 24, 2021, 10:15 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

"A German company using American gun violence...to sell guns."

It's called targeted marketing. They're targeting American gun buyers using concepts and scenarios that make sense to... well... American gun buyers.

125 years ago would there have been similar complaints about Winchester showing a guy with one of their lever action rifles facing down a pissed off grizzly bear?

Or would that have been A-OK because it's an American company showing an American critter trying to eat an American who's using an American rifle to defend himself... in America?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 24, 2021, 10:24 AM   #30
wild cat mccane

Walther forum is saying this discontinues the current PPQ line.

Stupid.
Old February 24, 2021, 10:57 AM   #31
TunnelRat

New Walther: PDP "better trigger than PPQ"

It wouldn’t make sense to continue both the PPQ line and this, especially given how similar they are in a number of ways.

If you have a PPQ and don’t want to upgrade you certainly don’t have to. Given the parts commonality between them you could keep your PPQ and have replacement parts and magazines for years to come. There are also a number of PPQs on the used market of someone really wanted a PPQ instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 24, 2021, 03:31 PM   #32
JDBerg

IMHO, there is too much overlap of features between this PDP and the PPQ to justify owning both. A higher-cap PPS would have made more sense to me anyway. The P99 is conspicuously absent from Walther’s current website and that gun is just too good to be discontinued. I’m sure Walther will sell a lot of these new guns, and it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old February 24, 2021, 05:20 PM   #33
ciwsguy

Think I’ll wait a bit

Thought about dropping an order for one, but then I remembered the P320. Wish to avoid early manufacturing issues.
Old February 25, 2021, 09:13 AM   #34
wild cat mccane

Slight update to a gun released in 1994
Old February 25, 2021, 09:19 AM   #35
TunnelRat

New Walther: PDP "better trigger than PPQ"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwsguy View Post
Thought about dropping an order for one, but then I remembered the P320. Wish to avoid early manufacturing issues.

I really don’t think it’s a comparable situation. The PPQ has been out for a decade and the P99 for decades. The P320, besides borrowing the module frame system of the P250, was a brand new design for SIG. This is more of an evolutionary step, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 25, 2021, 09:50 PM   #36
ciwsguy

Even so, when new models are introduced, there can be manufacturing “discoveries” that didn’t show up in prior models or in pre-production units. The P99AS was (still is) a fine gun, as I used to own one, but I’m not about to jump on a new model until any production bugs are worked out.
Seen that happen more than once and not just in the gun world.
Old February 25, 2021, 10:31 PM   #37
TunnelRat

Sure it can happen. I'm just saying it's not quite the same as with the P320.
Maintain situational awareness