The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 23, 2021, 05:22 AM   #26
Cosmodragoon

There are no grizzlies in my neck of the woods either. Most of the larger wild life tends to stay away or can often be scared away. That includes black bears, cats, coyotes, and moose. Of course, bad situations can happen so it's wise to be prepared.

While I reserve 9mm for civilization, I don't feel like I need a hand cannon for any of those animals. I used to carry a 686 in .357 magnum but as I've gotten older, it seems to have gotten heavier. Now I usually carry either .40 S&W or .357 Sig in the woods.
Old February 23, 2021, 11:47 PM   #27
tuckerdog1

Glock 20 or 29. Problem solved.
Old February 24, 2021, 09:50 AM   #28
GeauxTide

Anything that can eat me gets a 45 Colt with a 280gr RCBS SAA SWC. At 1050fps, it blows through Bears, leaving fist sized holes to 40 yards. If you don't reload, get a 357 Ruger and use Buffalo Bore Hard Cast. I prefer the Blackhawk because of it's ruggedness. Many will say DA for follow-up shots; however, when a lion or bear comes for you, it's at close range and you won't get a second shot. That's why I like the 45 - if you're off center a little, it will still gravely injure them.
Old February 24, 2021, 09:54 AM   #29
MarkCO

I'd first break down if you prefer to own and shoot a Revolver or an Auto-Loader.

I'd be looking at 10mm in an Auto-Loader and something starting with a .4 in a Revolver. 10mm, .41Mag, .44Mag, .45Colt.
Old February 24, 2021, 10:19 AM   #30
defjon

I think your own skill level and the ammo used will matter more than the platform.

A few years ago, a guide killed a brown bear in Alaska with 7 rounds of 9mm from a compact Smith and Wesson pistol.

He used buffalo bore 147 gr 9mm hardcast I believe. I think it may be +p.

There are also the outdoorsman rounds in 38 special (a 158 gr +p hardcast) , 357 (180 gr hardcast), 45 and most other rounds.

There is even 380 acp hardcast rounds. 100 gr. You have to wonder how much they would really differ from the 9mm used effectively.

If you've ever seen combat then you know how you'll respond in a seconds matter life or death situation (which an attack by a bear would definitely qualify).

Suppose the guide carried a sig p238 loaded with 7 rounds of the 380 100 gr hardcast, would results be the same?

Personally, I vote yes because the guy could handle himself, he knew bears anatomy so he knew where to aim, and both rounds will get significant penetration even through barriers (in this case, fat, muscle, bone).

The point being: training, know how you react. Platform, know what you shoot best and what you're willing to carry (all the time). Today, ammunition exists that can get the job done in most calibers.

Would a 44 magnum have been better? It's the traditional bear medicine. That guide probably wishes, but he got it done and chose the right "arrow".

Loaded up with premium jhp rounds, that story would have a different ending.

Hardcast plus p flat points in numerous calibers can get the job done, so know the anatomy and which type of gun you can fire quickly and accurately.
Old February 25, 2021, 11:18 AM   #31
RETG

Live and walk in areas with bears and large cats; normal is a 9mm H&K, and meeting up with three cats in the past few years, the 9 has been excellent. Just shoot into the ground in front of them and they take off. Bears, with two large dogs, they usually go about their business as I do. Best things to learn is do not surprise them and do not go near if there are cubs.

For the lions you don't see, it makes no difference what you are carrying, they will be on you before you know what's happening.

When I camp in grizzly area, which I do all the time (MT/WY) my normal carry is a .40 FN HC Buffalo bore 200 gr. Sometimes, if the area is noted to have active bears, my .44 with some 305 gr ammo.

At the campsite, I do have a 12 gauge loaded with 600 gr Brenneke black magic slugs.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old February 25, 2021, 11:37 AM   #32
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
Under stress making good hits might be a challenge on a moving target.
Sure would suck to fire off all 6 rounds in a revolver and the threat (attack) not be stopped.
10mm Glock 20SF or 29SF if under a 10 round mag limit.
A 10mm 1911 wouldn't be bad either.
Even with the 1911 you get 50% more capacity than a 6 shot revolver.
As far a grizzly, I doubt you would even get more than one shot Imho. High Capacity is not the answer to every thing in defensive shooting for man or beast.