The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 5, 2014, 12:35 AM   #1
DennisCA

Percussion Cap Question

As you know, I recently acquired a traditions 50 cal muzzle loading pistol and I am in the process of buying some accessories. I have a chance to buy some primers and powder. He has some #11 and #10 percussions caps.
I know I can use the #11 caps but what about #10's - GTG?
Old February 5, 2014, 12:48 AM   #2
Quentin2

If a #11 cap fits then a Remington #10 should too. The CCI #10 probably will be too tight.
Old February 5, 2014, 10:26 AM   #3
DD4lifeusmc

caps

Don't know for sure on your pistol.
Some single shot pistols and rifles over the years have come with #10 sized nipples other #11.
You will need to try both to get a confirmation of which fits best.
Also cap makers seem to be a little loose on their tolerances from brand to brand and even production runs.
Old February 5, 2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Old Stony

Your number 11's will fit on the Traditions.
Old February 5, 2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Kappe

There's a chart floating somewhere around here about this. Lemme fetch it.

I found this pretty useful. If you try one kind of cap and find them to be too tight or too loose, you can deduce what might work better from this chart.
Old February 5, 2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Pahoo

Likely to be a #11

Quote:
Some single shot pistols and rifles over the years have come with #10 sized nipples other #11.
Good advice and even though it's likely to be a #11, you still need to verify. The last Traditions I had, took a #11 but I do have a Kentuckian that prefers a #10. ....

By the way, Traditions would send you a manual or you can go on line and download one. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 5, 2014, 10:25 PM   #7
B.L.E.

Most #10 nipples are usually found on revolvers. I'll bet it takes 11's, if not, you can pinch the caps to make them stay on the nipple until you get some #10 caps or just buy a different nipple.
Old February 9, 2014, 08:47 AM   #8
horseman308

Also, you will likely replace the nipple at some point; either from shooting/burning out the one on it or just to try a different size (bigger hole for faster/easier ignition, for example).
Old February 9, 2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
or just to try a different size (bigger hole for faster/easier ignition, for example).
You don't want a bigger hole, too much blowback.
Old February 9, 2014, 09:42 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Great chart Kappe. Thank you.
Old February 9, 2014, 11:11 AM   #11
enyaw

I've gone with the tightest caps I could find and then if too tight on the nipple I would size the cone to get a good snug slip on fit.
I'd put the nipple in a drill or drill press or mill drill chuck and spin the nipple while stoning the cone. Stone,check fit,stone,check fit,stone, check fit...ect.ect.ect.
Old February 11, 2014, 03:40 PM   #12
swathdiver

Buy all the caps you can get your hands on, regardless of whether they fit your one pistol or not.
Old February 11, 2014, 09:55 PM   #13
Beagle333

^^^^^^ This!!!!

I'd run a mile barefoot over broken glass to find a bud with a pile of #10 caps!!!!! (these days!)
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 13, 2014, 03:33 AM   #14
51colt

They Make nipples for black powder rifles that take #10 CCI caps. Years a go i was given two bricks of CCI #10 caps. I found a stainless nipple that took #10 CCI caps that fit my CVA rifle i still have it in one of my BP boxes. You could always turn down a nipple on a drill or drill press.
Old February 14, 2014, 02:15 AM   #15
ZVP

Drives me nuts too!

I've tried all the major brands of caps to fit my revolvers right!
RWS are too soft and fragment ( that's if they stay on the nipples?), CCI are to thick and hard to squeeze closed for a fit on the nipples.
The best I have found are the Remington #11's! They fit down over the nipples and squeeze pretty easy to secure holding for a whole cylinderfull of shooting!
I tried their #10 but they won't go all the way down onthe nipples and fall off somtimes.
No matter what you do, you get sore fingers at the end of the day and still had a few fall off...
I'm sticking withthe Remington #11's because of the best preformance yet!
I don't know how the oldtimers kept em on???
They bet their lives on them and had to have some sure fire way to hold em in place!
I even wondered about scoring the nipples longitudinly ro provide rings for the squeezed on cap to grab onto.
I looked at some Teso Nipples and they are smooth and shiney. Is that ehat makes a cap hold on?
A guy at the Club has a drilled set of needlenose that he drilled to crimp the cap ti just the right size, The trouble is that there is no taler to the squeeze and he finishes the rest with his fingers. Pretty cool! I don't have a drill press ot drills that could drill tool steel.
I love everything about BP except Capping!
Maybe someday I;ll get my fingers toughened up enough for an all day BP session! Till then I go about 1/3 da and "wince' for the rest of the day!
Dosen't seem to matter, Uberti or Piettia nipples you still need to squeeze em down!
OK it's been about 2 1/2 years Blackpowder shooting for me! What's thetrick?

Thanks
BPDave