The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 19, 2014, 09:20 PM   #1
maillemaker

Original Colt revolver on gunbroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=394883254

Just passing this along - the pictures are cool if nothing else. I have no connection to this.

Steve
Old February 19, 2014, 10:57 PM   #2
RJay

Odd that, a couple of the serial numbers look as if they have been tampered with?
Old February 19, 2014, 11:12 PM   #3
RodTheWrench

It's not like they had a laser engraver or a pneumatic number stamp back then. I don't see anything wrong with the serials.
Old February 19, 2014, 11:39 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

And, in case you hadn't noticed, it's a 6 shot, not a 5 shot .31
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 20, 2014, 12:51 AM   #5
DoubleDeuce 1

The cylinder does not appear to have the same amount, or any of the surface deterioration as the rest of the revolver. It could be lighting or camera angles, but that's what it looks like to me. Just thinking.
Old February 20, 2014, 08:17 AM   #6
RJay

Look very close at pictures number 11 and 12. No# 12 looks to be over stamped or even altered, the 4 in picture 11 has two fonts. The long arm of the 4 is deep, how did that happen on a standard stamping, even a hand stamp. Could be correct, but with all the honest people selling on the internet I would want a very close look at the revolver before purchasing. Colt revolvers are one of the most counterfeited and altered guns.

Last edited by RJay; February 20, 2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old February 20, 2014, 08:27 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rebuilt gun with newer parts? The overstamping on serial numbers and the clean unpitted exterior of cylinder compared to the rest of the gun should raise eyebrows.
Old February 20, 2014, 12:49 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

One thing to remember is that numbers were hand stamped - it's not unusual for the numbers to not be in a straight line, tilted, etc. As far as strike-overs - I wouldn't imagine that to be too uncommon either. That's not to say that things can't be "tampered with" in later years - just don't judge originals by what you see on reproductions - two different worlds.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 20, 2014, 03:46 PM   #9
maillemaker

I have no idea if the thing is really all "matching numbers" or not. I just thought it was neat to see a "real" old Colt in its box.

Steve
Old February 20, 2014, 04:04 PM   #10
g.willikers

It looks inviting, but apparently no one is bidding.
Might be a clue, there.
Or maybe trying to judge whether a gun is a genuine antique just by internet pictures is a real bad idea.
Old February 20, 2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

As has already been stated, guns were hand stamped back then. The different numbers and letters were mounted in a tool and the tool was struck with a hammer. This could easily result in the numbers being out of line. The idea was to smack the tool sharply with one blow. But if one didn't do it just right, the stamp and the hammer could bounce resulting in a double strike. That's what happened here, I do not suspect foul play.
Old February 20, 2014, 07:09 PM   #12
Captchee

i would agree , i dont see any laser engraving , just stamp and roll.
Old February 20, 2014, 07:58 PM   #13
Fingers McGee

Quote:
It looks inviting, but apparently no one is bidding.
Probably because they're asking too much for it.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 20, 2014, 08:27 PM   #14
Hawg

Not a bad old original but even with the accessories its way too much money for it.