The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 13, 2009, 01:12 PM   #1
deadmonkey90

legal or not

i thought sound suppressors(silencers) were illegal. But in my new special weapons magazine there are 4 advertisements for silencers. and i looked at the web sight and it seems pretty legit.
Old February 13, 2009, 01:15 PM   #2
kraigwy

They are legal but you have to pay for a $200 stamp from ATF. Just like full autos.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 13, 2009, 01:15 PM   #3
FALPhil

Depends on the jurisdiction.
Old February 13, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

They're perfectly legal as long as you follow all applicable Federal and state laws, which includes paying a $200 transfer tax to the Feds.
Old February 13, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Derekadavis

:http://advanced-armament.com/ownership.asp
Old February 13, 2009, 03:24 PM   #6
oldkim

just a word of warning

Is it legal?

It varies from state to state.

Like in Washington you can legally own one with the proper federal "stamp" and paperwork BUT you can't legally shoot it. So, even if it's legal to have it with all the proper paperwork it may not be "legally" legal to shoot it.

Some places you can or need to work around the "system" by "incorporating yourself or an entity." Do a google search to find out more info.

You'll need to do some homework to best find out what is the best way for you and your state/jurisdiction.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old February 13, 2009, 03:27 PM   #7
hoytinak

Also check out www.silencerresearch.com for some good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkim
Like in Washington you can legally own one with the proper federal "stamp" and paperwork BUT you can't legally shoot it.
Aren't yall in the process of fixing that so you can actually have fun with your toys?
Old February 15, 2009, 11:42 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...It varies from State to State..." Yep. The daft part is that some States allow suppressors, but not MG's. Some allow MG's but not supressors. Some allow both and some neither.
Up here, the firearms laws are Federal, period. Then the previous idiot government came up with a really bad set of laws and gave the administration of them to the Provinces. Now the laws are not applied equally across the country.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:14 AM   #9
David Hineline

Now you have a choice

Now you have a choice of the Blue pill or the Red pill.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:19 AM   #10
PTK

Silencers in the USA at the Federal level are not now and never have been illegal, just taxed since 1934.
Old February 17, 2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Gun Trust Lawyer

Are silencers legal

Its funny how many people believe that silencers are illegal. While some states prohibit the sale, possession, and/or use of a silencer, they are legal in many states. I have tried to put together a list of which Title II firearms are legal in each state. You can find what you can legally own in your state at http://www.GunTrustLawyer.com/ .

In many states like Florida you can own and use a silencer but not hunt with one. Before buying one, you should see if your intended use is legal.

http://www.GunTrustLawyer.com/
Old February 17, 2009, 12:36 PM   #12
fbrown333@suddenlink

very good site

Thanks for the good info
Old February 17, 2009, 01:25 PM   #13
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
Silencers in the USA at the Federal level are not now and never have been illegal, just taxed since 1934.
This is misleading. Yes, the Federal government does not outlaw silencers and as long as you do the paperwork and pay the tax, you can own one. However, individual states can and do make ownership of silencers and machine guns illegal. You will not be able to purchase or own a silencer in many states so you need to check you state statutes before you jump into a purchase.
Old February 17, 2009, 02:25 PM   #14
RAnb

The feds to not ban silencers, but they are excessively controlled by the National Firearms Act of 1934. This law requires that an unlicensed person who makes or buys a silencer (or other title 2 weapon) fill out the ATF form 4 (to buy) or ATF form 1 (to make) and send it in along with form 5330.20 attesting to their US citizenship, finger prints, mug shots, and a check for $200. The ATF form 1 or 4 has to be signed by your local sheriff. If you use a trust or Corp. then the 5330.20, fingerprints, photos and sheriff sig are not required. I have never heard of any person who filled out the forms correctly being denied approval to transfer. The process can be easier than getting a first time driver's license, but more time consuming and sometimes more expensive.

Only 38 states allow unlicensed civilians to own silencers. AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MO, MS, MT, NE, ND, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY allow unlicensed civilians to own silencers. WA bans use. TX and FL (and maybe some others) ban them unless the owner can prove they are registered with the feds. CA, IA, KS, MA, MO, and MI allow dealers and manufacturers (FFL/SOT classes 2 and 3) to own silencers.

Ranb
Old February 18, 2009, 01:54 PM   #15
jerryd

The laws vary state to state and some of them make no sense! Take for instance CT where i live, ican have a fully auto say M-60 but cant have a select fire M-16!!! Go figure that one out1
Old February 18, 2009, 03:09 PM   #16
Gun Trust Lawyer

KS allsow Silencers

After July 1, 2008 Silencers are permitted in Kansas

http://www.GunTrustLawyer.com/
Old February 18, 2009, 03:11 PM   #17
McBrideGuns

Here in Mississippi you can own and even deer hunt with them I didnt know this until last year www.worldwidefirearms.com. this is the website I got my info from.