The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2008, 06:18 PM   #1
1911_freak

Busted My RCBS Decapping Die

Has anyone else had problems with rcbs decapping dies breaking?
Old August 24, 2008, 06:59 PM   #2
brickeyee

What part broke?
Old August 24, 2008, 09:23 PM   #3
totalloser

Yes. I hate them.

I try to use Lee style whenever possible. They never break. And if they do, they are $2 from almost ANY reloading supplier. You can mod many dies to take the Lee system by precision drilling and tapping to 1/8" npt on a lathe. All my RCBS lube dies have the Lee decap system on them. If you can nick it with a file, it can readily be modified. Most Sizing dies cannot as they are case hardened then ground.

Last edited by totalloser; August 24, 2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old August 24, 2008, 10:34 PM   #4
langenc

Call em-you will get a new one-no questions.
Old August 24, 2008, 11:13 PM   #5
LHB1

I have had one decapping pin break in 45 years of reloading. Probably was on an RCBS die as I have rarely used any other brand. I just took the pin out of an old, unused die set and replaced the broken one. Good to go again. Such pins are very cheap.
Old August 25, 2008, 08:42 AM   #6
Alleykat

I got a free supply of pins from RCBS, when I called about the broken one. I only have one RCBS sizing die, so breaking pins isn't a big problem for me. Almost all my dies are Lee, and, as has been mentioned, they rarely break decapping pins.
Old August 25, 2008, 10:43 AM   #7
farnorthdan

Call RCBS customer services, they will send a new one or ten out so fast you will hardly know it was missing.

DS

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.
Old August 26, 2008, 08:36 AM   #8
Oberg

I had one pin break and one shaft bend... make sure you don't try to decap berden and boxer primed 5.56 rounds. will ruin your die. but I ordered new pins from midwayusa for like 5 bucks for 5 pins and I got a new shaft at the local scheels for 8 bucks. I was up and running in 15 mins. and now I know to make sure all brass has one flash hole
Old August 26, 2008, 09:44 AM   #9
AlaskaMike

You will never find any customer service better than that of RCBS, anywhere. When I busted the decapping pin on a .44 mag die, one quick call and they cheerfully sent me not only a 5-pack of replacement pins, but also a spare shaft (the threaded rod that threads into the die and holds the decapping pin).

Give them a call.

Mike
Old August 26, 2008, 10:15 AM   #10
DEDON45

I gotta say that normally something has to go wrong to bend a decapping pin... but somehow my friend totally broke the decapping pin, and bent the shaft that the expander screws onto, in his 6.5-06 RCBS dies... in retrospect, I think he may have had the thing misadjusted so the expander was hitting the case head from the inside, and when he forced it, it bent the shaft (still hard to believe, but this was all brass that had been sized and used before in the same rifle and same dies, so I'm sure it wasn't a stubborn primer)... anyhow, I emailed RCBS for him (my friend does not have a computer, believe it or not), sent them some pictures of the decapping assembly, and they sent out a new assembly along with 6 new decapping pins (spares)... for no charge, no argument. Can't beat that! I've had and heard of similar experiences with most of the other reloading equipment mfg.

Don't sweat the breaking of a decapping pin; it has, or will happen, to all of us at some point... that's why I've got spares.
Old August 26, 2008, 12:59 PM   #11
tkcomer

Just last week, I pulled the expander plug off one of their 223 X-Dies. I called to order another one and they're shipping one out free of charge! I tried to explain the shell had some media in it and I thought I broke it. They didn't want to hear it. Years ago the same thing happened with one of their standard 223 dies. Same thing, a new one. I still use that decap pin to this day to clean media out of flash holes. This bunch is great.
Old August 26, 2008, 05:37 PM   #12
W. C. Quantrill

A-Mike,

I had the same experience. I broke a pin and called them and they sent me a whole bag full plus the rod. All you have to do is ask them.
Old August 26, 2008, 08:42 PM   #13
brickeyee

RCBS decapping pins are just small sections of drill rod.

I purchased a 36 inch piece of the correct diameter years ago, and probably have at least 33 inches left.
You do need to cut it off with an abrasive wheel (it will ruin regular wire cutters).
This is one time a dremel comes in handy.
Old August 26, 2008, 11:17 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

The only RCBS decapping pins I have ever broken, were..... my fault. I was doing things with the dies, they were never designed to do.

RCBS sent not one, but 2 free replacement pins no-questions-asked; each time I broke or bent one.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; August 26, 2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typos....
Old August 27, 2008, 07:37 AM   #15
HisSoldier

"RCBS decapping pins are just small sections of drill rod."

Are they heat treated?
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old August 27, 2008, 08:36 AM   #16
WSM MAGNUM

Nope. Never in my 30 years of reloading with my RCBS dies have I broke one. If you keep breaking them, then you are doing something wrong.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old August 27, 2008, 09:24 AM   #17
Loader9

If you load much in the way of 5.56 using military brass, you're gonna break pins. I've seen flash holes so far off of center they're almost on the side of the primer pocket. I keep at least ten extra pins in small and large around as I do load lots of military brass. Some of the 3006 military brass isn't much better. I don't generally have issues with match brass though.
Old August 27, 2008, 10:11 AM   #18
brickeyee

"RCBS decapping pins are just small sections of drill rod."

Are they heat treated?

No.
Just plain old drill rod.
It is already plenty hard in the smaller sizes from manufacture.
Old August 27, 2008, 04:35 PM   #19
the_right_reverend

order extras

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=459626

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=948706

save yourself the aggravation especially if you are into surplus mil
Old August 27, 2008, 05:15 PM   #20
Nnobby45

Quote:
What part broke?
After 19 replies with most just assuming the issue was a broken decapping pin, we still need to know WHAT PART BROKE?

No handloader should be without xtra decapping pins. You may go years without needing one. You may need a new one next time you load.

If the pin isn't the issue, then what is?
Old August 27, 2008, 10:37 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

My bent/broken parts were the expander/decapper assemblies, not just the replaceable pin. Still, RCBS had double replacements to me within 5 days; on each occassion.
Old August 28, 2008, 08:08 AM   #22
Nnobby45

I see. By now you probably know that you adjust the assembly down just enough to punch out the primer.

No doubt you adjusted it down too far and bottomed out on the assembly itself.
Old August 28, 2008, 05:55 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I see. By now you probably know that you adjust the assembly down just enough to punch out the primer.

No doubt you adjusted it down too far and bottomed out on the assembly itself.
That's a negative. As I said, I was doing things the dies were never designed for. (And shall not be revealed.)

The OP still hasn't responded, though.
Old September 26, 2015, 02:05 PM   #24
johndefresno

I found this review and believe that a comment in order, for possible new users of this lube die.

I just ordered all four dies and note that the decapping pin is factory installed w-a-a-y deeper than it should be.

The instructions that come with the dies state that the decapping pin should be only 3/16" below the die. That should end your problems.
Old September 26, 2015, 02:34 PM   #25
mkl

Call or email RCBS and they will correct the problem. They sent me a free 5-pack of pins many years ago when I broke one.

More recently, the handle on my RCBS Jr. single stage press got bent. I sent them an email inquiring as to replacement cost of a new handle. They replied that they did not make that handle any longer, but if I would send them the linkage that the handle screws into, they would re-drill and tap the linkage to fit one of their current handles which they would send back with the linkage at no charge. Can't get much better than that for customer service.