The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 21, 2012, 12:30 PM   #26
bedbugbilly

Doc - I agree with you 100%.

I just shipped a pistol/holster (granted a pocket pistol) in a Medium Flat Rate Priority Mail "shirt size box". (As you state though, even the largest frame size C & B can be shipped in that size box, well padded to boot!

Here's the breakdown.

Flat Rate Medium Priority Mail - $11.35
Tracking - .75
$200 Insurance Coverage - $2.90

Total - $15.00

And let's not forget that the boxes are free at the Post Office.

That being said, I can see $20.00 for shipping when you tack on another $5.00 for packing it, cushioning materials, tape, etc. If you're running a business, then yes . . . I can see even $10.00 in addition to the actual cost of postage, etc. to cover an employee's time, overhead, etc.

After that though, I have a hard time seeing how anyone can justify something like a $40.00 s/h charge. In my mind, when I see an excessive shipping charge, I walk away even if I might really want the item . . . it sort of makes me question the seller's "characteer". Just my thoughts . . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 21, 2012, 07:13 PM   #27
hoof hearted

noelf2

"Recently I was planning to ship 2 BP revolvers to a member on this forum for some smithing work. USPS was my preference. I'm in VA and he's in the middle of TX. The guns wouldn't fit in a flat rate box so I packed them up in a box I had. The USPS cost would have been about $50 so I didn't ship them. Just for comparison, I calculated how much the same package would cost USPS to New York. Was about $17. So, I guess sellers have to figure on the worse case scenario. Just sayin' "

I'm sorry that the shipping priced you out of getting work performed on your pistols.........

This is one of the reasons I try to "group" services and discount them to the bretheren!

If I remember correctly you were shipping two pistols and probably with the size of your packaging and insurance it got to be too much (I always pay for ins but have NEVER had to use it).

This brings us to why I encourage my customers to call me if there is ANY issue or concern. Frequently I quote MAX shipping charges (including large packing and insurance) and then work from there.

Colt style BP pistols can be broken down and wrapped carefully they then will fit in a $10.00 flat rate box. Of course for the discerning spender Insurance can be omitted.

Regards, HH
Old February 24, 2012, 10:39 AM   #28
maillemaker

Many unscrupulous online auction sellers know that people sort auctions by price and commodity items can make or break sales by a penny.

So in order to appear to undercut they will lower the reserve price or minimum bid of the item and instead tack the money onto the shipping.

This is why it is important to always check the payment and shipping details before bidding on anything online.

I will say that some commercial shippers are now requiring all firearms - even black powder firearms - to be shipped overnight. They claim this is to minimize the risk of theft of firearms while they are in possession of them. Obviously if you have to pay priority shipping to send an item it's going to cost more.
Old February 26, 2012, 07:27 AM   #29
FL-Flinter

A major portion of my business is conducted in and out via USPS. Just shipped a flint pistol out on Friday: Priority shirt box $15.45, Insurance $19.15 & Signature confirmation $2.55 for a grand total of $37.15 which doesn't include the $7+ worth of barrier paper, bubble-wrap, plastic wrap, tape and glue I use when packing it nor my time.

Getting gouged on shipping burns my butt too but also understand that everything else has gone way up in price and it all adds to the cost of shipping. USPS rates have gone up but they're still the cheapest and their service is still the most reliable ... same package above shipping United Parcel Service would have been in excess of $65.
Mark

Last edited by FL-Flinter; February 26, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old February 26, 2012, 07:47 AM   #30
FL-Flinter

Quote:
I will say that some commercial shippers are now requiring all firearms - even black powder firearms - to be shipped overnight.
That would be UPS and not a single UPS Store/UPS Ship Center manager has been able to produce the written UPS or govt. regulation specifically stating "firearm" (generic) or "non-gun" (what a traditional style muzzleloader is). The regulation applies ONLY to "centerfire handguns", not even centerfire long guns. They don't know their own business and if they do they're just trying to rake you out of insane costs that are way above their already insane costs! That goes right along with the FFL dealers who think it's acceptable to rake a customer for $75-$125 just to receive a centerfire long gun - ain't happening with me, all they did was push all my business away because now I'll make the two-hour drive to a shop run by a very respectable lady who only charges for the actual time and costs she has into it ... while I'm there I usually find other things to buy then try to explain it to the warden when I get home
Old February 26, 2012, 07:10 PM   #31
Mr.Guido

Quote:
Priority shirt box $15.45, Insurance $19.15 & Signature confirmation $2.55 for a grand total of $37.15..........

From USPS.COM
Quote:
UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE

INSURANCE FEE RATES

Fee . . . . . . . . . . Insurance Coverage
$1.65 ................ $0.01 to $50
$2.05 ................ $50.01 to $100
$2.45 ................ $100.01 to $200
$4.60 ................ $200.01 to $300
$5.50 ................ $300.01 to $400
$6.40 ................ $400.01 to $500
$7.30……………$500.01 to $600
$7.30 plus $0.90 per $100 or fraction thereof over $600 to $5,000.
If I was paying to insure a $1900 pistol, I suppose $40 might not be out of line when insurance is considered, but I doubt the pistol referred to by the OP remotely approached that number.

When I see these type of ridiculous charges in an auction, I sometimes ask the seller if a local pick up would be possible. Some of the responses can be downright entertaining.
Old February 26, 2012, 08:35 PM   #32
Doc Hoy

Mr. G.

In the ad I was speaking of when I openned this thread, there was no mention of insurance of any kind or amount. So I guess I am agreeing with you.

In fairness to the guy who was selling his pistol I did not ask any questions. So it is entirely possible that he was doing something that he considered to be worth 40 bucks. Shipping method, packing material, insurance, signature or whatever.

But those kinds of things are not worth it to me regardless on how he feels about it. If a seller is doing some kind of shipping on a replica BP revolver that it has to cost 40 bucks he is doing too much.

I don't make a business of selling on GB or on EBay but I can say that I have had no problems in more than seven hundred transactions. Every thing I ship goes through the post office. Most of the stuff I have bought comes to me through the post office. Only one thing ever came in damaged and that was a two dollar book and I saw the letter carrier destroy it with my own eyes.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:52 PM   #33
idaram

I was just shoppin' one evening and saw a couple revolvers that required $50.00 and $60.00 shipping. $40.00 for a Springfield I can see, but $60.00 for a rev.? Haven't (thankfully) seen those ads again.

Best to all,
Andy
Old February 29, 2012, 08:09 PM   #34
hoof hearted

I went to the PO today to ship back a customers pistol. He shipped it to me in the factory Uberti box which was packed in a larger carboard box and I carried it into the PO that way It was $26.00 with tracking. I opened the box and pulled the Uberti slip box out and shoved it in a $10.00 flat box and relabeled it.

If you care and dont't need a factory box you can save a bunch of money shipping.

It's all about taking the time to care.......

Regards, HH
Old March 1, 2012, 08:36 AM   #35
Doc Hoy

Coupla guys experssed interest...

....in my comment on packing a pistol in a Flat rate box.

Here goes:

We are talking about the medium shirt size flat rate box which I think ships now for about 11.00. You recognize most of what you see in the materials photo. I want to point out the roll of thin plastic film. It is like Saran Wrap. Comes from Home Depot for about eight bucks for a million feet (actually closer to a thousand feet.)

From scrap plywood I have laying around I cut the three pieces shown. You will see how they go together and how I choose the size to cut.

Glue and Screw the pieces together

Set the completed box insert aside and start wrapping the pistol. Of course bubble wrap in indespensible.

This is where the plastic film comes in. I use this stuf all over the place. When yoou finish wrapping something it is darned near watertight and won't come open until you easily unwrap it.

I place the pistol inside of the insert such that no part is touching the end pieces and no part is close to the edges.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:43 AM   #36
Doc Hoy

More

Drill four holes in the insert to accept the cable ties.

Here is the pistol in place in the insert

Here is the insert inside of the box.

It takes me about 25 minutes to go through the process described herein

I know very well that I am using tools and materials that not everyone has.

In truth though, the materials that would really be needed don't cost more than about 40 cents. (Bubble wrap and some of that plastic film on a roll.)

Making the insert is completely unnecessary and would not work for a person trying to make a business of selling pistols on GB.com

I do both eBay and GB for fun and to acquire the things I want or need. So when I sell something, as long as I get the price I feel I need to have, I am happiest when the buyer gives me good feedback. I am at 100% on eBay (610 entries) and A+ on Gunbroker and that is the way I like it.

That is why I go to more trouble than is reasonable for a person who is doing this as a living.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:42 PM   #37
Fingers McGee

I just sent a 2nd Gen Pocket Police in a Priority flat rate box, insured with electronic return receipt. $20.65. I do not think that is unreasonable.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 5, 2012, 01:22 AM   #38
KEYBEAR

SHIPPING

I just sold a Ruger Old Army to Gentleman in some eastern state .
Will be shipping it out in the AM U.S.P.S.
I have it in a Flat Rate Box and packing and really hope it,s to his liking .
I hear this guy is a real bugger about shipping .

KEYBEAR
Old March 5, 2012, 06:39 AM   #39
Doc Hoy

Good one KB

Good joke from the Bear.

He is shipping the pistol to me and as everyone knows, my feeling is that if you haven't spent forty bucks to ship a pistol it ain't packed right.

NOT!
Old March 5, 2012, 08:49 AM   #40
Andy Griffith

I think the next time I sell something that I want $200 for...

I'll charge $10 for the item, and $190 for shipping.

Maybe we all should sell stuff that way.
Old March 5, 2012, 12:46 PM   #41
KEYBEAR

SHIPPING

Went to the Post Office this AM with three box,s to ship . One went to Mi, One to VA, and the last to LA, . Got ins. and tracking on all three total was $24.58 . Kind of cheap ??

KEYBEAR
Old March 5, 2012, 01:04 PM   #42
arcticap

That's because the Postal Service loses a billion dollars a year.
They help to subsidize business transactions.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:32 PM   #43
mykeal

Actually, the USPS loses no money on operations. The billion dollar a year losses are funding pension programs because of a congressional mandate.
Old March 5, 2012, 09:43 PM   #44
Doc Hoy

Hrmph!

Maybe thats why some sellers want 40 bucks to ship a pistol.
Old March 5, 2012, 11:22 PM   #45
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I am on the soap box again....

Quote:
I would really like to know how he is going to ship it such that it costs forty dollars!
Could the high charge be attributed to extra charges incurred at the Postal office? Like Insurance against damage, Signature Requested upon delivery, Return Receipt requested. Special Delivery. It all adds up to the cost of sending things safely. If one thinks the charge for mail delivery is high. Wait till this coming summer? 40.00 bucks just may be the lesser of the two by then.
Quote:
It's a moot point anyway.
Because the prospective buyer never followed up on the deal. So there is no real way in knowing what the shipping cost consisted of for its seller? "You pay to play or you don't"

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old March 5, 2012, 11:33 PM   #46
KEYBEAR

SHIPPING

Signature Requested upon delivery cost .75 cents ? That leaves $39.25
Old March 6, 2012, 12:29 AM   #47
arcticap

Delivery Confirmation costs .75 which is similar to a tracking number.
But signature confirmation costs $2.55 and adult signature required costs $4.75.

Quote:
Delivery Confirmation™ $0.75 No charge
Return Receipt for Merchandise $3.95 Not available
Signature Confirmation™ $2.55 $2.10
Adult Signature Required Not available $4.75
Adult Signature Restricted Delivery Not available $4.95
Other Extra Services Collect on Delivery From $5.90 Not available

https://www.usps.com/
Old March 6, 2012, 06:26 AM   #48
Doc Hoy

Sure Shot

I think you are probably right.

I am sure there are ways to rationalize charging 40.00 dollars to send a BP revolver to a buyer. And the shipping features you mention are among them.

I would not want a shipper to use delivery confirmation or signature because there is almost never a person at my house when the letter carrier passes through. That means I have to ask the shipper to send it to my job and the university is a pistol free zone. Insurance probably is not a bad idea. I have only used it one time on a $300.00 sale. If the value is not excessive I take the chance.

This thread has pretty much played itself out. Actually it was an old saw the last time I got on the soap box.

So here is another one. Sale on gunbroker for two brass frame revolvers an 1851 Navy and an 1860 Army. Opening bid was 100.00 which is fair. The bid as of last night was 455.00.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=275742011

I am going to find that buyer and go into business selling him pistols.
Old March 6, 2012, 02:26 PM   #49
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
I would not want a shipper to use delivery confirmation or signature because there is almost never a person at my house when the letter carrier passes through. That means I have to ask the shipper to send it to my job and the university is a pistol free zone. Insurance probably is not a bad idea.
Whenever an item is sent through the post office and insured for over $200 then a signature is required on delivery. Or else the letter carrier will leave a [pink] notice for the addressee to pick up the package at the post office where the person must show ID to receive it. The letter carrier is not suppose to leave packages on a door step that are insured for over $200. There isn't any choice involved.
That's the way that it was explained to me.

Last edited by arcticap; March 6, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old March 6, 2012, 04:47 PM   #50
mykeal

Quote:
I am going to find that buyer and go into business selling him pistols.
If you find that buyer you could retire selling him pistols!