The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 14, 2016, 08:41 AM   #1
Bucksnort1

Chiappa M9-22

I posted this in the Handgun: Semi Auto section. This may be a better place for it.

A friend has the Chiappa M9-22 (22 LR). He has been having a feeding problem. I looked at his gun and determined it isn't the magazine but rather, the feeding ramp. I think the all lead bullets are hanging up because there is a tiny lip at the rear of the ramp. I used a knife blade to feel the lip. I have advised him to have the ramp smoothed a little either by a gun smith or himself. He is a dentist and has the proper tools to do this.

Do I have this problem diagnosed correctly and is my recommendation correct?
Old September 14, 2016, 10:43 AM   #2
CedarGrove357

Hi - I just purchased a chiappa M1911-22 myself. I initially fired American Eagle .22Lr through it and had most every round stove pipe or FTE, including bending the brass. I inspected the firearm and found the ejector was extremely stiff - I couldn't flex it with my fingernail at all. I ran some of my false .22LR rounds through it for a function test, and affirmed the ejector stiffness and found that the lead noses were indented. Upon inspection, I found that the feed ramp to chamber edge is not aligned smoothly and gouges the round as its chambered. I've seen this before with other fixed barrel arms where the ramp and chamber are separate pieces. I haven't had a chance to fix it yet, but I am planning on either filing down the edge of the barrel just enough to smooth it into the feed ramp, or somehow building up the feed ramp to better mate with the barrel.

Additionally, I ran a box of Federal HV Match rounds through it and the higher power rounds worked the ejector spring loose. The manual says 100 - 150 rounds for a break in period; I believe the spring just needs some higher power loads at first. I was able to move the spring better after running those bullets through. However, the feed ramp issue remains. I really like the gun and for the price, I expect a bit of fidgetiness at first. Its heavy, feels good in the hand and the grips are nicely engraved. About my only concern is the magazines are plastic and allow the rounds to stagger when loaded which may attribute to feed issues. They also do not slide as easily out of the magwell as a metal magazine would. Will see what happens.

I am just not sure yet on which action to take on the feed ramp. I believe with that issue resolved, it will be a great shooter.
Old September 14, 2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Bucksnort1

Cedar,

Thanks for the information on the feeding ramp not being part of the barrel.

Do you know if metal magazines are available?
Old September 14, 2016, 04:00 PM   #4
CedarGrove357

Not that I have found yet. But I haven't looked all that hard yet.
Old September 16, 2016, 06:33 AM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Since this has a plastic magazine, how stiff are the magazine lips? Can you easily mash them in/out? If they are not as stiff as steel, that can cause problems. I have not looked at one of these, so can't really say except from experience, but any feed ramp should be smooth (no sharp edges) to the chamber, and the magazine lips should be stiff, unable to flex. The bullet should not be deformed while working the action.

You might take a look to see if someone has already started making an aftermarket steel magazine for the pistol.
Old September 17, 2016, 12:05 AM   #6
CedarGrove357

The magazine lips are certainly plastic. At minimum I would have liked to have seen metal inserts for the lips like Glock has on their polymer mags. On the left side they did incorporate an extractor tab to assist the ejector after the round is fired. Another issue I question is the fact that when loaded, the width of the magazine allows the rounds to stagger. I'd prefer a little thicker polymer walls and tighter tolerance to keep the rounds in order better. To me it seems the rounds have a tendency to mis-align which could cause feeding issues. I know other magazines stack their rounds more for capacity, but those are calibers and diameters that seem to better geometrically handle the offset around their radius better than a .22 round.

One nice feature Chiappa did was to add a front sight package which has fiber optic sights as well as other solid polymer sights of different heights so one may not have to file down their sight first. I haven't replaced mine yet. This does help complement the fiber optic rear sight which also is adjustable for windage and elevation.

Old October 2, 2016, 07:51 PM   #7
CedarGrove357

Follow up

I just wanted to follow up and say that after smoothing the ramp to breech I no longer have an issue with rounds that hang on feeding. I have noticed though that my fire stick likes fresh ammo and Federal HV Match as well as CCI .22LR. I had some issues with American Eagle .22LR concerning inconsistent loads. All in all, I'm very satisfied with this fire stick and have used it in training.

Cedar Grove Farm and Arms