The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 31, 2013, 01:25 PM   #1
gesimon62

Carry Preference

I'm fairly new to gun ownership and am looking for opinions on which type of hand gun folks like to carry for personal defense and why. The ease of using a revolver is appealing to me but a lot of my friends prefer a semi automatic.
Old July 31, 2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Jen-from-IL

Carry Preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesimon62 View Post
I'm fairly new to gun ownership and am looking for opinions on which type of hand gun folks like to carry for personal defense and why. The ease of using a revolver is appealing to me but a lot of my friends prefer a semi automatic.
As I am in the same boat as you (well not completely as I still have yet to purchase my first gun), I thought I would offer up my feelings. You find what works best for YOU. Sure, your friends may like semi-automatics better but if you are not comfortable or familiar with them, what good are they except to be a 2lb weight on your belt. If you feel more comfortable with a revolver, go that route. You also want to get in range or other practice time in order to train yourself (that's what I plan on doing). I myself plan on going with a 9mm semi-auto as that is what most of my shooting experience (4 hours - hehehe) is with.
Old July 31, 2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Jen-from-IL is absolutely on the right track. I could spout all kinds of things about what you should carry, but it's ultimately your decision. With that said, there are pros and cons for both revolvers and semiautos. What follows is a list of the pros and cons, in my opinion. Take it for what it's worth, which is exactly what you've paid for it.

Semiautos:
Pros:
Faster reloads via magazines
Easier to carry more rounds via magazines
Often thinner (and thus easier to conceal)
Often higher capacity before a reload is needed

Cons:
Stovepipes
Can get pushed out of battery if it's in a pocket when you need it
More likely to be ammo-sensitive

Revolvers:
Pros:
Simplicity of operation (The Original Point and Click Interface)
Can't get pushed out of battery

Cons:
Often thicker through the middle
Slower reloads (though speedloaders help)

Your best bet: Get thee to a Range! Preferably one that rents guns. Rent a few semis that you're considering, as well as a few revolvers. Shoot 'em. See which you like shooting, and which you shoot well. Then make your decision. You're much more likely to actually carry a pistol that you like than the pistol that your bestest buddy likes.
Old July 31, 2013, 03:14 PM   #4
cas700850

I would add one more pro to revolvers, in that they can function with any cartridge in the correct caliber, regardless of bullet shape. The same is not always true with semi-automatics.
Old July 31, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I see it like this...

Carrying any gun is going to be relatively heavy compared to what you otherwise carry.

I want my gun to be light, small, concealable and comfortable. Heavy and uncomfortable is no good when it's home because of it.

Any of the major defensive cartridges are equal in their performance for personal defense purposes.

Revolvers are (tend to be) heavy, wide and low capacity and short barreled for their length. Relatively speaking.

A polymer semi-auto, like a Glock (but not necessarily a Glock) is typically narrower than the narrowest revolver, lighter when fully loaded than most revolvers are empty, shorter than a revolver with a similar barrel length, holds up to 3 times (or at least 2/3 more even in restrictive states) what a revolver holds (and still weighs less, remember) and provides cartridges of (at least) equal effectiveness to that of about any revolver that an average person will carry.

So... I guess that puts me firmly in the semi-auto group.
Old July 31, 2013, 04:03 PM   #6
gesimon62

Thanks to all for the input. I guess training will be the key for me. Right now, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with a semi-auto with one in the chamber and having to make sure the safety is off to defend myself but maybe that will change with some time and training. More rounds is never a bad thing and that is my concern with revolvers.

Spats:

Since you are correct in the amount I am paying for your advice, how about a little more for free? I'm not familiar with the terms, "stovepipes" and "pushed out of the battery." Can you help me out there?
Old July 31, 2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Gladly.

A "stovepipe" is when a case gets caught in the ejection port during the ejection cycle. It sticks up like, well, a stovepipe. (At least that's how I've always understood the term.)

"Pushed out of battery" -- when you chamber a round, the slide on a semi-auto must be pushed all the way forward ("in battery") for all of the parts to be in the right position to function. If the slide is pushed slightly to the rear ("out of battery"), the pistol may not function (or fire) properly. During firing, it is also possible that a semi-auto will "fail to return to battery," which means that the slight hasn't gone all the way forward.

Hope that helps, and if I'm using any of these terms incorrectly, other members of TFL will step forward to correct me, I'm sure.
Old July 31, 2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Jen-from-IL

Carry Preference

Quote:
Thanks to all for the input. I guess training will be the key for me. Right now, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with a semi-auto with one in the chamber and having to make sure the safety is off to defend myself but maybe that will change with some time and training. More rounds is never a bad thing and that is my concern with revolvers.

Spats:

Since you are correct in the amount I am paying for your advice, how about a little more for free? I'm not familiar with the terms, "stovepipes" and "pushed out of the battery." Can you help me out there?
I'll will say again that practice is key. There is no way I am ready to defend myself with a gun. I need to have much more training, including dealing with malfunctions, operation of safeties, etc. I have taken 2 NRA handgun classes and they have helped me tremendously. However, I still need to get to the range and shoot.

You did say you were a new gun owner. If you don't mind sharing, what do you currently have?
Old July 31, 2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Dragline45

I prefer DA/SA autos (First trigger pull is double action like a revolver, all subsequent shots are a light crisp single action pull). You get the benefits of a SA pistol with no safety to worry about. Many express concern about transitioning from the first long DA trigger pull to a short SA trigger pull, but it is blown way out of proportion and in my opinion is very easy to get accustomed to.
Old July 31, 2013, 05:26 PM   #10
gesimon62

Jen:

I currently have a semi-automatic 9mm Smith and Wesson model 59. I bought it from a co-worker almost 30 years ago and that is the primary weapon that I take to the range to practice with. I love the gun. Never jams or mis-fires. I also have a Smith and Wesson .38 Special that was my father's service revolver. I believe it's from the early 70's. I also have his Colt Trooper Mark III .357 Magnum, also one of his service revolvers. Beautiful nickle plated gun with a 6 inch barrell. I have never shot the Colt but am looking forward to it.

I'm looking for a few more to round it out. Mossberg Shotgun for the house, most likely will choose a 45 cal for my carry weapon and an AR15 type just because I think they're cool...
Old August 1, 2013, 06:29 AM   #11
Tomac

Is there a local range where you can rent/try different handguns? If so, your best bet is to try as many as possible (even if it's only handling them at your local gun store) as there's a *lot* of personal preference involved in selecting the one that's right for you.

I've owned quite a number of different revolvers/pistols over the decades looking for my "perfect" concealed-carry handgun. Closest I've come to date is the SIG P250 in 9mm. 9mm offers decent performance w/relatively mild recoil & greater capacity than 40's & 45's.
The SIG P250 is double-action-only w/a long but light/smooth trigger (like shooting a good revolver) and is modular so you can mix & match different sizes/calibers around a single serialized FCU (fire control unit). You can literally go from a .40 fullsize to a 9mm compact in less than a minute.
Since it's DAO, there's no manual safety or DA/SA transition to worry about under stress.
The P250 isn't for everyone as people seem to either love or hate the DAO trigger w/no inbetween.
For something smaller, the wife and I have a couple of Kahrs (hers in .380, mine in 9mm for when I simply can't carry the P250) which are also DAO-style triggers but are lighter/thinner than our P250's.

Lots of good choices out there, you just have to find what best fits your particular needs and pocketbook.
Tomac

SIG P250 Compact 9mm, P250 Subcompact .380, Kahr CM9 9mm, Kahr P380 .380:

P250 modularity: A subcompact slide on a bobbed compact grip module for ease of carrying but w/a full grip and 15+1 capacity:
Old August 1, 2013, 07:02 AM   #12
kraigwy

Quote:
..........looking for opinions on which type of hand gun folks like to carry for personal defense and why. The ease of using a revolver is appealing to me but a lot of my friends prefer a semi automatic.
Since you are going to carry your gun and your friends aren't, then pick the one you like, let them carry what they want. If the revolver is appealing to you, then carry it.

That's like saying you like Fords but your friends like chevy's, You're buying it, your driving it, buy a Ford.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 1, 2013, 07:12 AM   #13
Jen-from-IL

Carry Preference

Quote:
Jen:

I currently have a semi-automatic 9mm Smith and Wesson model 59. I bought it from a co-worker almost 30 years ago and that is the primary weapon that I take to the range to practice with. I love the gun. Never jams or mis-fires. I also have a Smith and Wesson .38 Special that was my father's service revolver. I believe it's from the early 70's. I also have his Colt Trooper Mark III .357 Magnum, also one of his service revolvers. Beautiful nickle plated gun with a 6 inch barrell. I have never shot the Colt but am looking forward to it.

I'm looking for a few more to round it out. Mossberg Shotgun for the house, most likely will choose a 45 cal for my carry weapon and an AR15 type just because I think they're cool...
Wow!!!! Lot of options there. . But not for carrying.
Old August 1, 2013, 08:45 AM   #14
SaxonPig

g- This is a personal decision and you have to figure out what works for you. I'm afraid this will come largely from trial and error. You have to choose a handgun that you are comfortable with, and you have confidence in. Whatever you choose, practice shooting to increase familiarity and skill. If you ever need to use it, you want it to come naturally and without thinking.

After many years I realized that I don't enjoy carrying a pistol. I wish I didn't need to carry one. I don't need the extra bulk and weight on my person (I carry enough of my own, thank you) and I don't like getting poked and pinched by the gun as I sit, bend, etc. Also, I live where it is very hot and humid most of the year, so I need something I can conceal in jeans and T-shirt as this is what I wear at least half the time.

So I have gone small and light. I carry the lightest and most compact pistol I am comfortable carrying for self-defense. I know many shooters sneer at the 380 ACP as being weak, but I figure it's better to have a 380 on you than a 45 in the car because you got tired of packing the weight. I use a leather inside the pocket holster in the front pocket of my jeans. Very flat, very light, I forget I have it on me. That's what I wanted.

I'm not a soldier going into battle. I'm not a cop facing running gun battles with criminals. I need a concealed handgun that is easy to pack and can be brought into action quickly to stop one or two (in 99% of cases) attackers at close range.

Here's my choice. Target grade? No, but accurate enough to 50 feet. Cost me $200 brand new retail so I don't worry about wear and tear. The Ruger was very similar but the Taurus has a slide lock and was cheaper.

You'll need to experiment and see what suits you.
Old August 1, 2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Tortuga12

my thoughts so far...

I've had a CCW for a few years now, my observations:

1. What feels light in the hand is surprisingly heavy on the belt!

2. Thin is good.

3. It's very true that what you think is an obvious bulge in your shirt is completely unnoticed by others.

4. It's hard to stop yourself from fiddling with your shirt/pants/belt!

My opinions:

1. If it's easier to carry, and you carry often, that's better than the "ideal" gun that gets left at home. My small/hot weather CCW is an NAA magnum, either pocket carry or IWB. Not ideal, but it's light enough and small enough to keep on my all the time, and as a firearm, better than my fists for dissuading a threat.

2. Accuracy trumps power. My "big" CCW is a PA-63. It has decent capacity, is very thin, and fits my hand perfectly. If I close my eyes and bring the pistol up to a firing position, the sights are lined up and ready to go. 9x18 isn't .45 ACP, but it doesn't have to be, esp. down here where heavy winter clothes really aren't a concern. Also, like Dragline45, I prefer DA/SA.

3. When everybody says a good belt and holster make all the difference, they are speaking the truth! I carry a lot more now that with my Galco leather belt than I did with my store bought cheapies. Current holster is a DeSantis IWB that does a good job of keeping the gun low on the beltline.
Old August 1, 2013, 10:45 AM   #16
dgludwig

Quote:
That's like saying you like Fords but your friends like chevy's, You're buying it, your driving it, buy a Ford.
Except that Chevrolets and Fords equipped identically are essentially the same car. A better analogy might be whether you want your car with a standard or automatic transmission. As others have opined, what type of gun you are most familiar with and shoot best is the one you probably should be carrying, irrespective of brand names.
I like Spatts McGee's advice: "...Your best bet: Get thee to a Range! Preferably one that rents guns. Rent a few semis that you're considering, as well as a few revolvers. Shoot 'em. See which you like shooting, and which you shoot well. Then make your decision. You're much more likely to actually carry a pistol that you like than the pistol that your bestest buddy likes."
For a new shooter, I usually recommend a revolver for the many reasons some posters have cited but especially because of the simplicity of design and attendant use. However, there's no good reason why not to opt for a sem-auto if that's what the op prefers and is most comfortable with, especially one with a "traditional" da/sa configuration. In this context I agree completely with Dragline 45's reasoning: "I prefer DA/SA autos (First trigger pull is double action like a revolver, all subsequent shots are a light crisp single action pull). You get the benefits of a SA pistol with no safety to worry about. Many express concern about transitioning from the first long DA trigger pull to a short SA trigger pull, but it is blown way out of proportion and in my opinion is very easy to get accustomed to."
Old August 1, 2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Theohazard

Quote:
Dragline45 posted:
Many express concern about transitioning from the first long DA trigger pull to a short SA trigger pull, but it is blown way out of proportion and in my opinion is very easy to get accustomed to.
I think the problem with DA/SA autos is that many people never practice with the DA trigger pull. They go to the range, load up the weapon (which is cocked at this point), and then shoot away. During the entire range session they never actually fire the weapon the way it was intended to be carried: in double-action mode.

To the OP: If you get a DA/SA auto, make sure to practice the transition from the long, heavy first trigger pull to the subsequent short, light trigger pull. A good way to do this is to decock the weapon after you load it up at the range, then fire two shots, then decock and fire two more shots, and so on. This way you're constantly practicing the crucial DA/SA transition.
Old August 1, 2013, 12:36 PM   #18
BigJimP

To answer your question, my primary carry weapon is a Wilson Combat CQB, 5" gun, in .45acp ( a 1911 ).../ 8 rds in a mag....
----------
But like others have said...there is a lot involved in this issue...and one big thing, is what guns fit your hands the best - and what gun do you shoot the best !

The size, weight, type of trigger ( how it breaks, how it resets), sights, width, etc are all big factors..../ and what holster you choose to carry it in - inside waist band or outside ( by the way, I carry in a Kramer Leather holster, with a forward FBI tilt ) and I have both an outside waist band scabbard....and an Inside Waist Band holster for 1911's and some K and N frame revolvers. I rarely carry an extra mag...but I do have single and double mag pouches for my 1911's ... (Kramer too )....

Training is a big deal...classes are ok / some personal help might be better. Learn to draw safely and effectively, learn to reload - angle of gun, muzzle up, finger position on mags, etc.../ then learn to do it quicker...and practice it at the range ( draw - double tap --- reload --- double tap ) ....and work with your buddies, put a shot timer, into the equation ....and really work on the muscle memory of how to do this ( position of your off hand as you reach for a holstered gun, stance, etc...) ...and how to re-holster the gun....
----------
I'm going to the range today ....and will run some double tap, and triple tap ....and some reload drills......both with a 1911 in 9mm and one in .45 acp ...and with an N frame S&W revolver in .357 mag.../ just running my drills for a few hours...with a timer.
Old August 4, 2013, 01:55 PM   #19
veamon

SaxonPig-

Where did you find that brand new for $200? I have a Taurus 651 as my carry now, but I'm looking for something slimmer and lighter as an alternative, depending on the clothing.
Old August 4, 2013, 05:23 PM   #20
buck460XVR

I carry either a 5'' Colt Government or a S&W 637 J-Frame, depending on clothing and what I'm doin'. I find I carry the J-Frame 90% of the time because it is lightweight and compact. I carry an extra mag or a speed strip....occasionally. Most of my life is spent in low risk areas and I believe my proficiency with my weapons and my awareness of what's going on around me is more important than having 30 rounds on me. But that's me and what I'm comfortable with.
Old August 4, 2013, 08:37 PM   #21
shep854

Over 20+ years of CCW, I have gone from a Combat Commander .45 on my belt to a J-frame snubbie in my pocket, with about every other carry method in between.
Study, experiment and practice. Don't be surprised if things change as you gain experience.
Old August 4, 2013, 09:06 PM   #22
tomrkba

Quote:
Here is the real story: revolvers require more dedication to practice. You will shoot better in a shorter time with a semi-auto under the instruction of a competent trainer.

That said, don't be afraid of the double action revolver. You'll need to learn quite a bit about trigger control. Operating the revolver in a competitive or tactical environment is much different than standing on the range shooting a paper target. Reloading the gun at speed is complicated, so you'll need to practice it repeatedly.

Modern revolvers generally come without any extra doodads that you may need. Night sights are important. A pinned front sight is important so you can change it out. A tuned trigger is helpful, as are chamfered charge holes. Stocks are very important. Make sure they fit your hand. Herrett's Stocks will make stocks that are made for your hand.

Regardless of what you do, budget for classes. You do not need to own a gun; instructors will have guns available for you to use. Start with NRA Basic Pistol to learn gun safety and some background information on firearms. Attend a two day defensive pistol course. This will teach you how to run a gun. You will have an idea of what features you need and those you do not. A quality instructor will help you master trigger control.
Old August 4, 2013, 10:18 PM   #23
eman

I see a lot of talk about reloads from what I have read about self defense shootings reloads are of little consequence. It's pretty unlikely you will ever be in an OK Corral style shootout unless your an LEO or Military.
Focus more on what fits your hand, points naturally for you and that your confident and proficient with.
Old August 5, 2013, 10:00 AM   #24
Dave Chuppa

I would start with a Revolver. If you intend to carry, a Snub Nose. Now a Snub is not the easiest Gun to be accurate with but, with practice its not hard to become accurate at Combat distance. The Manuel of arms or learning to use it is easy. After that if you decide you want a Semi Auto. Start by trying your friends Guns and learning the Manuel of Arms of the Semi Auto Gun. If you decide the Semi is the way to go, The little Snub is something you can always use as back up or when you just need a little something in your pocket.
Old August 5, 2013, 05:17 PM   #25
ClydeFrog

New to guns, training...

If you are new or entry level to weapons, Id start with a simple well made DA only or SA/DA stainless steel revolver like a Ruger GP100, a SP101(5 shot DA only .357magnum), a S&W model 686+ 7rd .357magnum 3" barrel, Ruger LCR .38spl +P, S&W model 642 J frame.
You can add a CT lasergrip or Centerfire laser(red dot) to some revolvers; www.lasermax.com www.crimsontrace.com . XS big dot front sights are great too.
For semi-auto pistols, Id start with a new or high quality used hammer fired DA only model like; a HK P30 or P2000/P2000sk LEM(law enforcement modification). The Beretta PX4 Storm C(constant action) in 9x19mm or .40S&W.
The SIG P229R in .357sig or .40(DAK or Double Action Kellerman), the P224 SAS/DAK in 9mm or .40S&W, the SIG P239 DAK with 3 dot night sights.
Some suggest striker fired pistols like the M&P, the Ruger SR9 or SR40, the XDm, the Glock 19/23/26/27, the Kel-Tec, but Id start with a hammer fired design.
Also, Id advise you only carry factory made, high quality ammunition for personal defense. Top brands like DPX, Ranger T, Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot, HST(ATK), Hornady Critical Duty.no handloads or reloaded rounds.

I'd get skill training & learn the local gun/lethal force laws.